PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Teams looking to move up in the draft?

We need a QB we have a chance at pretty good one why over think it.

If we trade back three things need to happen for it to be worth it:
1) we need to be right that pick 3 is not where we will find a Franchise QB.
2) we find the QB with another pick or even next year if we have to wait.
3) we also need to get at least one of the picks we get back right if not more (fairly likely if its a good haul).

I meant as desperate as the team trading up for the 3rd best QB.

Who says the team we might trade with would be moving up for a QB?
MHJ would be what I'd suspect. LAC would love to get ahead of AZ and AZ might pay the vig to keep that from happening, neither scenario is unlikely

But then why should we? Aren't we just as desperate for a qb
Let's say they love the guy picked at 2 but not the guy available at 3. Then what?

Because there's a difference between taking the best QB, and the third best QB.
That doesn't seem to have much logic to it, if the draft is deep in quality QB prospects who cares if you get #3, if that many teams want to trade up perhaps it is because the guy is still a high QB prospect well worth the 3rd pick.

Josh Allen and Justin Herbert were both top 7 drafted and the 3rd QB in their draft.

Let's say they love the guy picked at 2 but not the guy available at 3. Then what?
I like any of the top 3 or 4 Qs. I like some of the later options too like Penix. But I'm not a draft guy. Obviously Wolfe has to have conviction either way he goes. From where I sit I hope he thinks the third QB is worth it because nothing else matters as much.

Who says the team we might trade with would be moving up for a QB?
MHJ would be what I'd suspect. LAC would love to get ahead of AZ and AZ might pay the vig to keep that from happening, neither scenario is unlikely
Nobody is trading up to the top 4 for anything but a QB. The WR prospects have 3 blue chippers and a ton of depth, the offer anyone would give you to move up for a WR will be paltry compared to the QB needy teams.
AZ and LAC are both talking trade down.

That doesn't seem to have much logic to it, if the draft is deep in quality QB prospects who cares if you get #3, if that many teams want to trade up perhaps it is because the guy is still a high QB prospect well worth the 3rd pick.

Josh Allen and Justin Herbert were both top 7 drafted and the 3rd QB in their draft.
That's some interesting evidence. I'm sure there are other similar cases too.

I think it's easy for us to remember the drafts like Manning Leaf where one worked and the other flames out royally.

I hope the Wolfe can handle it.

Minnesota 11, 23 and next year's R1. Titans? 7, 38, next year's 1 and 3. Seattle? 16, 81, 2025 1 and 2. You get the drift. I don't care if it's robbery. Look at the Chiefs/Bills trade that netted Mahomes. (someone else posted this). Buffalo hit each pick, still lost the trade.
For me this is cheap. I'd want more than this. It's simply not enough.

For me this is cheap. I'd want more than this. It's simply not enough.
IF they believe that whoever is there in the 3 spot is the future of the franchise, no amount is worth it.

I think Minn would be the best option and provide the most ROI. also, i would make them pay...if they are serious on getting #3, then it will cost them #11, #23 this year and next years 1st and 3rd. If they refuse, then we stand pat. We have all the leverage
a 4th this year instead of the 2025 3rd works. They haave two 4ths.

If the Patriots do opt to trade down, I'd like to see them use that extra draft capital to then move up from #34.

Moving up to the middle of round one should be enough to get one of the top four OTs. Sticking at #34 and they would have to settle for about the #9 (or lower) OT.
Even Corky looked promising for much of his rookie year when we had a good OL and good OL coaching with Popovich and Bricillo.

The past two years it’s been bad. Build the OL! Coach Harbaugh with words of wisdom.

I love watching the 1st to 3rd round drama ... the lead up not so much.
Especially remember the drama with Aaron Rodgers waiting to be drafted.
Gronk's dance when he was drafted ... good stuff ... the Patriots drama this year ... eh I will wait for the draft.

Then you look for the 3 first round picks. You don’t take the player if you don’t believe in them. But on their hand you don’t b trade the pick if you believe they are a franchise QB. And for those who keep citing historical odds as the big factor, you know what your best odds are for getting a Lombardi winning QB are? Wait until the 6th round and take a QB at 199. You can’t get better odds than that.

IF they believe that whoever is there in the 3 spot is the future of the franchise, no amount is worth it.

You don’t see any team trading their franchise quarterbacks, no matter how many 1sts are offered. You wouldn’t get Allen, Mahomes or even Hebert for any amount of picks.

But then why should we? Aren't we just as desperate for a qb
Because the #1 spot gets the consensus best QB prospect. The #2 spot gets to basically pick who they think is best of the remaining two highend prospects. The #3 is essentially getting whatever is left over and there is a chance the team isn't high on that guy and thinks it's a bad pick.

Having choices means something. Being forced to accept what is left means you either like it or don't. Not all drafts are equal. There's 3 consensus first round picks and a reach guy McCarthy. The third QB in this draft is not a whole lot different from settling for Mac Jones at 15. The only difference was there were two other guys in the mix for first round QB's and after 3 a lot of teams that didn't need QB's were there to let guys fall.

I hope we learned our lesson that we shouldn't just draft someone just because we need the position. We have to believe in them.

Because the #1 spot gets the consensus best QB prospect. The #2 spot gets to basically pick who they think is best of the remaining two highend prospects. The #3 is essentially getting whatever is left over and there is a chance the team isn't high on that guy and thinks it's a bad pick.

Having choices means something. Being forced to accept what is left means you either like it or don't. Not all drafts are equal. There's 3 consensus first round picks and a reach guy McCarthy. The third QB in this draft is not a whole lot different from settling for Mac Jones at 15. The only difference was there were two other guys in the mix for first round QB's and after 3 a lot of teams that didn't need QB's were there to let guys fall.

I hope we learned our lesson that we shouldn't just draft someone just because we need the position. We have to believe in them.
There were a lot of reasons to believe in Mac at the time just cause he failed don't let that scare you off again. The third QB in many drafts have been pretty good. And there's more than 4 QBs that will go in the first round this year it's pretty much a consensus 3 will be top 5. If the team isn't high on him then so be it but I'm hoping we are.

There were a lot of reasons to believe in Mac at the time just cause he failed don't let that scare you off again. The third QB in many drafts have been pretty good. And there's more than 4 QBs that will go in the first round this year it's pretty much a consensus 3 will be top 5. If the team isn't high on him then so be it but I'm hoping we are.
The point is that the Patriots aren't choosing a QB, they are deciding to accept who is there. There were reasons to like Mac. But ultimately, we played the game of letting everybody else pick their fate and we just were willing to take whatever landed our way.

The point is that the Patriots aren't choosing a QB, they are deciding to accept who is there.

We don't really know that. The first two taken may not be the guy they want

OK, so if no one offers more, you stay at 3 and draft who?
The best QB left. Scouts are on record as saying this draft is all 2nd round value by the 23rd pick.

Essentially you'd be trading a possible franchise QB for the #11 pick (who wouldn't be a WR because the top 3 will all be gone by then) who will be a tackle, but not Joe Alt + the 23rd pick (second round value talent) and a future #1 (likely in the 23rd spot or worse) which is already considered a 2nd round value because of the 1 year wait (not to mention we don't even know the strength of the draft).

A possible franchise QB for a tackle and 2 second rounders? No way, that's cheap.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back