PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The real missing offensive piece: the modern, three down RB

Yes but they didn't want their offense so predictable so they sought out RBs who could catch. Rham Zeke etc.

The real missing piece which gave their offense unpredictability and guts was the FB.

Yes but they didn't want their offense so predictable so they sought out RBs who could catch. Rham Zeke etc.

The real missing piece which gave their offense unpredictability and guts was the FB.
Speaking of guts...

Screenshot_20240105_181729_Samsung Internet.jpg

Saquon Barkley doesn’t have any rings. Just sayin’.
oh **** I wasn't counting on anyone finding a counter example in a league where more than one facet is required to win a Super Bowl. Mods please delete this thread, this gentleman has shown me the light.

I recall when they drafted James White (as I had been living here in Wisconsin since 2001). He was The Badgers every down back. What made him so frustrating to an opposing defense, was that when he was in the game, it wasn't a sure thing that it was a passing play, as he was an in between the tackles workhorse back for Wisconsin and therefor got it done rushing also (and was a solid pass protector). In addition to being an excellent receiver. A back like him is still a relevant weapon in today's NFL game. They're just hard to identify in the draft, but when you get one, it's a true asset.

I remember that like it was yesterday.

....and for the record Pat Sullivan had it coming. He was flapping his gums at Millen and paid for it.
Talk about a "Blast from the past". I remember that moment.

oh **** I wasn't counting on anyone finding a counter example in a league where more than one facet is required to win a Super Bowl. Mods please delete this thread, this gentleman has shown me the light.

Good call.

Btw, it’s still up.

another Bill failure or not planning for white to retire.

how do we go from faulk to woodhead to vereen to white! to........nothing...

The OP has shown why the BB method of building a receiving corps still works.

The 3rd down RB is like a closer and the Pats have had multiple on the roster simultaneously. James White basically won a Super Bowl vs the Falcons. Watch Burkhead in the 2018 AFCC vs the Chiefs. Just huge plays at the end to seal the win in that game.

The Pats have had super star receivers like Gronk and Edelman, but they were drafted and molded into elite players by the QB.

I believe that was the key to the 2019 season. When they lost both of their FBs they lost a lot.

I remember that like it was yesterday.

....and for the record Pat Sullivan had it coming. He was flapping his gums at Millen and paid for it.
Even though they lost the SB that year I'll never forget that road game playoff run. NJ, Oakland and Miami all in one fell swoop. Too bad they had to face a nearly impossible defense to move against in the SB.

RT was the bigger need going into the season. And Dawand Jones, the behemoth and dominant RT, had dropped for us in the third round. We had multiple fourth round picks for Mapu. Yes, he would have been there.

Onwenu and Dinosaur Jones on the right side would have been a dominant run blocking duo.

There was some expectation that Pierre Strong would develop into the next James White, who took several years to get to become Sweet Feet.

But in the panic of needing OTs, we traded Strong to Cleveland for a former college TE who is a true project with intriguing physical tools. Too bad Tyrone Wheatley is a physical freak with a RB’s intelligence, ie, not smart enough to be an offensive lineman.

His dad was a RB.

LT, a run-blocking TE signed long term are other dire needs.

I’d say just after RT is the X receiver who can stretch the field. That’s been a perennial problem with the Patriots offense going back YEARS.

The offense: a complete botch job by Belichick.

Just like the kicker situation. The veteran—who has hit 97% of his kicks with the Titans this year— was NOT beaten out by the rookie that Billy foolishly traded up for and got two rounds early.

Here’s what’s missing from the offense in order of importance:

1. X receiver the defense has to account for as a deep threat. The Bones Ty Experiment has failed.

2. A blocking TE that can also catch the ball. And signed beyond this year.

3. A RT so Onwenu can be at his more productive self at RG.

4. LT. Cause we knew erratic though talented Trent Brown would do Trent Brown things. The guy’s lazy. Did you see him after he signed the big contract with the Raiders after Dante turned him into an all pro?

5. A third down back. Captain Stone has been beating this drum for years. With all the picks last year and the ease to draft RBs late this is a fireable offense by any GM.

6. A fullback. Hello. Smash mouth football used to be a thing. The Ravens still do it. Seems to be working for them.

Last edited:
just more poor roster management/planning by bill.

we knew james white was getting old and how important he was to the offense. So we don't replace him...

just more poor roster management/planning by bill.

we knew james white was getting old and how important he was to the offense. So we don't replace him...
In sports your only as good as the people around you. His staff compiled of failed hardo coaches Bill ventriloquist, nepotism, lacrosse players and yes men. The only people with any pedigree are.. whataya know former players! Troy and mayo! Brown has done a great job with pop. He gets credit for that. Beast-more credits covington and mayo for his resurgence.

I believe that was the key to the 2019 season. When they lost both of their FBs they lost a lot.
Jakob said Bill told him they were eliminating the fullback position... when he reached FA.

another Bill failure or not planning for white to retire.

how do we go from faulk to woodhead to vereen to white! to........nothing...
Oh he'll fix that problem.. Tavai could fill right in at FB, just like Seymour, and Roberts have done. Great FBs I mean LBs... haha...

RT was the bigger need going into the season. And Dawand Jones, the behemoth and dominant RT, had dropped for us in the third round. We had multiple fourth round picks for Mapu. Yes, he would have been there.

Onwenu and Dinosaur Jones on the right side would have been a dominant run blocking duo.

There was some expectation that Pierre Strong would develop into the next James White, who took several years to get to become Sweet Feet.

But in the panic of needing OTs, we traded Strong to Cleveland for a former college TE who is a true project with intriguing physical tools. Too bad Tyrone Wheatley is a physical freak with a RB’s intelligence, ie, not smart enough to be an offensive lineman.

His dad was a RB.

LT, a run-blocking TE signed long term are other dire needs.

I’d say just after RT is the X receiver who can stretch the field. That’s been a perennial problem with the Patriots offense going back YEARS.

The offense: a complete botch job by Belichick.

Just like the kicker situation. The veteran—who has hit 97% of his kicks with the Titans this year— was NOT beaten out by the rookie that Billy foolishly traded up for and got two rounds early.

Here’s what’s missing from the offense in order of importance:

1. X receiver the defense has to account for as a deep threat. The Bones Ty Experiment has failed.

2. A blocking TE that can also catch the ball. And signed beyond this year.

3. A RT so Onwenu can be at his more productive self at RG.

4. LT. Cause we knew erratic though talented Trent Brown would do Trent Brown things. The guy’s lazy. Did you see him after he signed the big contract with the Raiders after Dante turned him into an all pro?

5. A third down back. Captain Stone has been beating this drum for years. With all the picks last year and the ease to draft RBs late this is a fireable offense by any GM.

6. A fullback. Hello. Smash mouth football used to be a thing. The Ravens still do it. Seems to be working for them.
We whiffed on no less than 3 TE's in the last draft who have made decent contributions as receivers as rookies (and can grow as blockers). I also agree about taking Mapu over an OT. That was another BB draft blunder. I like the potential of Cade Stover in the upcoming draft, he's 6'4 255 and a great blocker now (has shown ability as a receiver). I would also love Braelon Allen, a 6'2 245 4.40 40 RB from Wisconsin. I'm intrigued by Jerry Rice's son later in the draft (Brenden Rice), he's 6'2 and has good size and speed. As far as adding a true FB is concerned, Develin was a college D-Lineman converted to FB. Converting someone from another position with the right size, speed, and demeanor can be done.

Last edited:
While this team will clearly be better by upgrading the QB and OT positions, much has also been written about an apparent need to spend expensive capital on a #1 WR ala JaMarr Chase or Justin Jefferson. While an elite #1 WR is nice it only makes a couple other players on the field better at most I'm here to tell you about something else my eyes are seeing that can be had for much less capital and far greater impact.

Everyone knows over the last decade the long lived era of the workhorse three down RB has come to an end. Derrick Henry was the last gasp breathe. In fact, our very own team along with Mike Shanahan's teams, pioneered the "Running Back By Committee" approach of rotating a stable of serviceable RBs with overlapping but varying skill sets. This worked to great affect but has some downsides:

- It's hard to acquire the right ones consistently
- All of those RBs need to be healthy
- Defenses can bias towards certain play calls depending on who is out on the field

What I've seen the last couple of seasons is the emergence of what I call the new three down RB. Aside from the usual RB duties like inside and outside runs and blitz pickup, these RBs can run a robust route tree, beyond just wheel routes, and line up all around the formation. And they don't just do that on third down where its most predictable. Defenses need to respect their route running abilities which causes linebackers and safeties to be pulled closer to the line of scrimmage and creates openings. The 49ers are so lethal because they not only have an RB that can run routes (McCaffrey) they also have a WR that can run (Samuel).

It gets even better. Aside from McCaffrey and Etienne the premier ones in the league were drafted far outside the first round which represents an incredible value. You have Alvin Kamara (3rd round), Austin Ekeler (Undrafted), James Cook (2nd round 63rd pick), and Isaiah Pacheco (7th round). Beyond these guys are a second tier like Tony Pollard, Kyren Williams, and Bijan Robinson who was drafted high in the first.

These guys are an offense's best friend and it's incredibly important we get an RB in this mold.
Give Mafah of Clemson a look. He's big, fast, strong and can block. A fullback who can do it all.

The idea that the game has passed BB is pure bunk. Be honest, if Bill had the 07 Pats team this year he'd be killing teams, even if you sub in Cassell for Brady. I even thought that the Patricia/Judge assignments would be ok because I would think a Defensive coach would spend his time breaking down offense, thus making the transition easy for a guy that was lauded as a having a D that helped win a SB. I learned things are different last year. Shame on me. The talk going around about BOB wanting to bring his own people in makes sense when you combine it with Klemm going off the rails. He may have had similar gripes, but was still in line with BOB moving forward.
A meddling owner does damage to his team by speaking. When you put your team in the unenviable position by announcing playoffs or bust, that's meddling. Kraft is a great owner, but when he shut the F up and let the team do it's job, we won. The press from Orchids sent him for a loop, and cost us Antonio Brown because of it. We win it all that year, and I have no doubt that Brady's 8-0 misery comment was directed at Kraft, not BB.
I would like to see what BB could do with a high draft pick and all that $$100 mill. I have a hard time finding someone that's so readily available to us that could fix it in less time.
Wrong thread I think

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back