PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How To Blow the 2024 Draft

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
#3. Spurn a trade down. Minnesota offers three first-rounders? Draft capital? We don’t need no stinkin’ draft capital.

QB JJ McCarthy

In college he was a stellar game manager rarely asked to make big plays. A dominant running game makes mid round talents like JJM look good. When he threw, it was overwhelmingly short or intermediate.

Harbaugh had his run-heavy West Coast offense clicking. The QB was instrumental in calling out plays at the line, making sure they had the correct blocking scheme (It helped that they engaged in Lance Armstrong-level cheating), and NOT turning the ball over.

Evan Lazar, rarely wrong, is about his arm being “strong.” It’s not. It’s average. On his rare longer throws, he needs to step into the throw.

In the pros he will disappoint. Unless an inconsistent game manager is what you’re looking for.

That OL! Truly dominant. Zac Zinter, a local Mass boy, will look good in Honolulu blue.

#34 WR Keon Coleman
If you liked N’Keal Harry, wait until you get a sneak peak at N’Keon Coleman* He’s big, SLOW both laterally and vertically, with excellent body control. So go on YouTube and watch all those spectacular catches. Just like Harry at Arizona State.

But as we’ve already found out, that talent doesn’t transfer to the pros with the higher order of DBs. If he can’t make it look easy in college, what do you expect him to do in the pros?

* Credit to Username.

Signed,

Bucko Kilroy

ejemplo-tony-montana.gif

Well...Tom Brady was even slower, had much less arm strength, and his teams did not go undefeated..... hell..he didn't even start every game either....

Just sayin'...... (holds hands up)

#3. Spurn a trade down. Minnesota offers three first-rounders? Draft capital? We don’t need no stinkin’ draft capital.

QB JJ McCarthy

In college he was a stellar game manager rarely asked to make big plays. A dominant running game makes mid round talents like JJM look good. When he threw, it was overwhelmingly short or intermediate.

Harbaugh had his run-heavy West Coast offense clicking. The QB was instrumental in calling out plays at the line, making sure they had the correct blocking scheme (It helped that they engaged in Lance Armstrong-level cheating), and NOT turning the ball over.

Evan Lazar, rarely wrong, is about his arm being “strong.” It’s not. It’s average. On his rare longer throws, he needs to step into the throw.

In the pros he will disappoint. Unless an inconsistent game manager is what you’re looking for.

That OL! Truly dominant. Zac Zinter, a local Mass boy, will look good in Honolulu blue.

#34 WR Keon Coleman
If you liked N’Keal Harry, wait until you get a sneak peak at N’Keon Coleman* He’s big, SLOW both laterally and vertically, with excellent body control. So go on YouTube and watch all those spectacular catches. Just like Harry at Arizona State.

But as we’ve already found out, that talent doesn’t transfer to the pros with the higher order of DBs. If he can’t make it look easy in college, what do you expect him to do in the pros?

* Credit to Username.

Signed,

Bucko Kilroy
I'm a little mixed on Coleman, State. Harry seemed glued to people no separation whatsoever. Coleman wont be as bad as Harry. That said I agree with the rest.

I clicked on an article above, that left me shaking my head as a mock draft failure.
In a nutshell it has the Pats trading down - yet not adding a single additional 2024 draft pick!
(Article is based on a mock draft by NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah).

Jeremiah projected the Patriots would receive the No. 13 pick in the 2024 draft, along with two additional first-rounders (2025, 2026) and a 2025 third-round pick.

Those other draft picks are nice, but the Patriots need draft picks now, in 2024.

We really need a thread on two guys you don't like. Please bring something to table with these threads. Throw it in the draft talk thread. These are like drunk texts though.

I clicked on an article above, that left me shaking my head as a mock draft failure.
In a nutshell it has the Pats trading down - yet not adding a single additional 2024 draft pick!
(Article is based on a mock draft by NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah).

Jeremiah projected the Patriots would receive the No. 13 pick in the 2024 draft, along with two additional first-rounders (2025, 2026) and a 2025 third-round pick.

Those other draft picks are nice, but the Patriots need draft picks now, in 2024.

Yeah, how about another first round pick in 2029 and a third-round pick in 2030.

If we trade down a 2025 draft pick is a must ...
and it needs to have a high probability of being top 15 so we can package both to go up and draft a QB.
I said in another post do the 2-4 probable QB choices next year have more upside than 2-4 this year.

2025:
#2 - Sanders
#8 - Allar
#9 - Weigman
#10 - Beck

Last edited:
I’d rather have any of the top 3 this year than any of the guys for next year. And JJ McCarthy would likely battle for the #1 spot next year. Sanders probably matches up talent wise but daddy is gonna push him off to a team of his liking. Not sure if worth the headache. I’d put Beck and Ewers in the McCarthy category just behind the top guys.

We really need a thread on two guys you don't like. Please bring something to table with these threads. Throw it in the draft talk thread. These are like drunk texts though.
Who would you pick for QB at # 3?

Simple question.

Quickest way to blow this draft is by taking Psycho Williams or Beanpole Daniels without trading-down first; or trading-down then taking Brittle Penix, though at least in the latter case we would have a couple of extra picks…

Quickest way to blow this draft is by taking Psycho Williams or Beanpole Daniels without trading-down first; or trading-down then taking Brittle Penix, though at least in the latter case we would have a couple of extra picks…
Maye, McCarthy, Nix, Rattler Pratt is my current QB positioning but it’s changing week to week.

Agree about picking McCarthy at 3. If they want to draft JJ moving back a couple spots is necessary.

I disagree on Coleman. I think Pats fans have ptsd on jump ball/contested catch receivers after N’keal Harry failed spectacularly. I don’t think Keon is near as stiff or as bad a route runner as Harry. Watching Coleman to start the season before he got hurt he looked like a sure fire first round pick. If a guy slips due to playing through an injury and a slow 40 time that’s a good candidate for a value pick.

I also disagree that 3 firsts is a deal the Pats have to take. Lots of teams have been rumored to want to trade up. The consensus is that this is a really good qb draft, the Pats have leverage. The Pats shouldn’t jump at deal unless it’s stronger than 3 firsts.

Well...Tom Brady was even slower, had much less arm strength, and his teams did not go undefeated..... hell..he didn't even start every game either....

Just sayin'...... (holds hands up)
People act like defense and running the ball early in a JJ Patriots career is a bad thing. Need a 3rd and long throw? He made them.

It’s worked in the past with TB. AVP likes to run the ball in his WC offense.

Alright... you got me... The last thing I want to be in this place is rhymes with molitical, but in the spirit of the "How to Nail" thread:

I don't care how they do it, but I don't want the Pats to blow the 2024 draft like Monica... and I don't mean from Friends.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back