PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What’s the earliest you would take player x?

pazrul72

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
You’re the GM, and try to be a little realistic MHJ will not be available at pick 11 for instance, what’s the earliest pick you would take the top players in the draft? If you say for example Joe Alt at 6 assume you get the giants #47 as well, so reasonable trades are part of the equation.

Nobody at #1 or #2, every player has something that makes it so I’m not trading future capital for because they are a can’t miss no brainer future HOF. There just isn’t a player in this draft worth that

Caleb Williams #34 I know I will get a ton of flak for ranking the guy going #1 this low but I do not like his game, his attitude, just everything about him screams BUST to me. Physical traits worth it in the 2nd round but higher than that? Hard pass

Drake Maye #3 opposite of Williams I love everything about his potential, IF he sits for a year to work on his footwork and actually learns from Brissett it’s ok to not play hero ball. Plus he is young so sitting a year isn’t as big a deal. I see a top 10 QB for the next decade.

Jayden Daniels #6 I like his athleticism and his size isn’t that big a concern to me, what I do worry about is his age, he needs to start this year at some point, and like Mac one year of production with two NFL #1 receivers. Love hearing the kind of leader he is living at the practice facility but I want an OT and WR at the top of the second round if I’m skipping Maye.

MHJ #6 From a pure BPA should be higher I’m just looking at the team around him and a WR is a luxury pick, next draft I would have him at #3 but there are too many other holes and like Daniels I need another pick to get one of the tier 3 QBs that should be there.

Joe Alt #6 Pretty much the same write up as MHJ but if I am missing that tier one QB I need an additional pick.

Olu Fashanu #6 getting a Big man who can move is so rare, and the #2 need behind starting QB, I love OT here even if it means getting Nix or Penix later. A good offensive line effects both the passing and running game.

JJ McCarthy #6 Another young guy that will benefit from sitting an entire year, which I believe with Brissett is going to happen. I like the traits and pedigree but you have to wonder if he’s so good why did they not air it out more? Worth the risk, if you can get him some help

In the interest of this not being a monster post no one reads the rest of the major names we have been kicking around, Odunze, Bowers, Nabers, Fautanu are all at #11 after a trade with the Vikings that gets 11, 23, and a first next year. I would also try to package #34 and a second next year to get back into that 20-25 range in any of the trading down to 6 situations so we have our pick of the tier 2 offensive players instead of taking who’s left. The draft strategy and all the different ways it could fall out are fascinating. What’s your big board look like?

So I'm obviously focused on the positions of greatest need but I can't rule out any that drop to a certain point.

Top 5:

Daniels
Maye
Caleb

6-10:

Alt
MHJ
Nabers
Odunze

11-15:

Fashanu
Fuagu