PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you be happy if we came out of pick #3 with Maye or Daniels ?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you be happy if the Pats came out of the draft with Maye or Daniels at #3 ?

• Total voters
I see Daniels as having some degree of success regardless as long as he is an above average passer.

Wolfe isn’t going to take that chance. If the guy who goes at #3 becomes a stud it’s an automatic fireable offense.
With Maye and McCarthy, we won’t be holding our collective breaths every time he takes a hit.

Not so with Daniels.

For me it’s Maye or McCarthy, due to the slight frame on Daniel’s and I’m concerned his big plays don’t translate to the NFL.
Not sure how relevant frame is to QBs. My concern with Daniels is that he played with multiple 1st round-caliber skill players against future burger flippers and accountants. Looks good when everyone in your offense is better than everyone on their defense. Kind of like Alabama Mac in that sense.

On the other hand I understand that Maye's teammates and their opponents were on more equal footing, so Maye himself had to be the one to tilt the balance in their favor.

Not sure how relevant frame is to QBs. My concern with Daniels is that he played with multiple 1st round-caliber skill players against future burger flippers and accountants. Looks good when everyone in your offense is better than everyone on their defense. Kind of like Alabama Mac in that sense.

On the other hand I understand that Maye's teammates and their opponents were on more equal footing, so Maye himself had to be the one to tilt the balance in their favor.
I'd add that Daniel's had a nice clean pocket with all day to operate.

I'm all for picking Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert in the top 10. Robert Griffin seems really explosive, so he's an option. Bortles has winner written all over him. Then there's Winston and Mariota as can't miss prospects - they might not even fall to 3. Wentz and Trubinsky both have a lot of potential. That being said, if I had to pick one, it's gotta be Darnold at 3. Gotta get a franchise QB and be set for the next 10-15 years.

Honestly, I'll be "happy" on draft night with mostly anything. Hope springs eternal.

QB position is such a crapshoot for us to evaluate as fans. We really have no idea. If they stay put and take one, I'll be thrilled with the idea we could have found a franchise guy and just be optimistic they made the right pick.

If we pass on a QB, I don't know any better so I'll just accept that they didn't love any of them. If that means staying put for MHJ or Alt, I'll be happy with a potentially elite talent. If that means trading back, I'll love the idea of hitting on multiple picks to build the talent up around QB.

Only thing that would make me annoyed I guess is if they move back from #3 and take a QB later where it feels like they tried to play both sides of going QB high in the draft but taking a lesser prospect so they can add more picks as well. No half ass attempts.

With Maye and McCarthy, we won’t be holding our collective breaths every time he takes a hit.

Not so with Daniels.
Who knows. I’ve seen normal sized guys who are made of glass like Jimmy G. Anyone can be injury prone, maybe Daniels puts on some weight and it becomes less of a concern.

Was only here for the RLKAG. Peace out.

I'm more of a Maye guy than a Daniels guy, mainly because I think Maye is a better fit for their new scheme and because he's a couple years younger. I could see Daniels ultimately working out, though - he has improved his game every year so who's to say he wouldn't adapt to this scheme and be great?

I do also like McCarthy, and pick 3 feels like a reach, but if they took him because they really love him then I would be fine with that too.
#3 is too high for McCarthy

Oh, heck I don't know. I would have to watch a lot of tape plus the Chris Sims / Kurt Warner analysis of Maye and even then I would be uncertain. Even the pros must be uncertain; look at all the QB whiffs in the first round in previous drafts. I guess that is why the draft is so fascinating.

There are two schools of though on what to do with pick #3:
1) The old Madden technique of getting a solid OL (and weapons) before drafting a QB.
2) Draft the franchise QB now and let him get beat up for a few years.

I would prefer that the Patriots trade back and stock up on OL and WR picks. The FA and trade period has been so pathetic this season for the Patriots that they need a lot of draft picks to make up for it.

Last edited:
I see Daniels as having some degree of success regardless as long as he is an above average passer.

Wolfe isn’t going to take that chance. If the guy who goes at #3 becomes a stud it’s an automatic fireable offense.

It just comes down to the evaluations they have on Daniels and Maye, and both have plenty of college starts to evaluate them on, and Daniels was in the best conference in college football. While Maye played at a decent level. So if they have grades that warrant taking them then they will do so, if not then I expect them to trade out. If they hit on them then we won’t have to worry about quarterback for the next 10 to 15 years, if they bust, or if they pass on them then we will all be having the exact sam e arguments year after year until they find their franchise quarterback. The only real difference will be whether it costs them 3 first round picks, or just one first round pick, as it would this year.

Im getting nervous because we haven't addressed LT yet. They couldn't be taking a tackle first, could they? Please no

#3 is too high for McCarthy

It’s too high because it’s all projection, and not production. But even then if they believe he can be a franchise QB, and moving down would risk losing him, then I would say to take him. The other 3 have the production to go with the projections, so they are safer picks.

Who knows. I’ve seen normal sized guys who are made of glass like Jimmy G. Anyone can be injury prone, maybe Daniels puts on some weight and it becomes less of a concern.

McCarthy weighs the same as Daniels.

Is 3 too high if he turns into a franchise QB?
I'm on record as believing that Daniels will either bust or end up a backup somewhere. From watching McCarthy, he has a much stronger arm and has the ability to make those off-platform throws that remind you of Mahomes. He has the added advantage of having played in a pro-style offense and being younger. I'm fairly agnostic on Maye although it worries me a little that a lot of the criticism I've seen of him has come from former QBs.

Last edited:
Daniels is the Better guy right now might be pushing Williams for #1 overall WR MH Jr phenomenal talent.
So why didn't MHJr run at the Combine? I don't want a shrinking violet; I want someone with the cajones to go up against the best.

So why didn't MHJr run at the Combine? I don't want a shrinking violet; I want someone with the cajones to go up against the best.
Fun fact Jerry Rice - Marvin Harrison and Ed McCaffrey all have WR Sons in this draft. :cool:

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back