PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you be happy if we came out of pick #3 with Maye or Daniels ?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you be happy if the Pats came out of the draft with Maye or Daniels at #3 ?

• Total voters
For me it’s Maye or McCarthy, due to the slight frame on Daniel’s and I’m concerned his big plays don’t translate to the NFL.

New to the board? There is no happiness here....

Wanted to throw a name out that I recently watched after Zolak mentioned him. Devin Leary, he has really good velocity short to intermediate passes and good accuracy. He has been hurt a lot in his 6 year college career. He seems like he would be a decent 7th round UDFA type.

Wanted to throw a name out that I recently watched after Zolak mentioned him. Devin Leary, he has really good velocity short to intermediate passes and good accuracy. He has been hurt a lot in his 6 year college career. He seems like he would be a decent 7th round UDFA type.
He would be worth a flier in the 7th.

For me it’s Maye or McCarthy, due to the slight frame on Daniel’s and I’m concerned his big plays don’t translate to the NFL.
But I trust our scouting staff for the first time in a long time.
Regardless of their choice.

I'm torn and will readily admit that I have flip-flopped on this question ever since the 2023 regular season ended.

On one hand the combination of lack of player retention and lack of quality drafting left this roster with so many gaping holes heading into free agency, it begged for a trade down to pick up additional draft picks.

On the other hand you are (hopefully) not going to have this early of a draft pick again any time soon - so your better chance at landing a franchise QB is with an earlier pick (#3) than with something later in the draft.

So you’re saying having a great WR makes any QB instantly better….
No. Read what I wrote again
I agree, none of these QBs I think will have much stay in the NFL, take the sure thing and draft Harrison Jr. Let he and Jacoby become BFFs! While they are at it, go ahead and draft Jerry Rice’s kid in the later rounds.

Nobody ever heard of Maye until AFTER he was done playing.
Thats negative

The only thing I am sure of is that MCarthy will be a bust in the NFL

Absolutely.
Rebuild through the draft.
Three great options at the top of the draft.
Take the QB.
Trade down next year once you have the QB.
This is a rare opportunity to get a top QB.
There are great WR’s every draft in the teens.
Get the QB when the opportunity presents.

As the question states, yes or no ? I know there are a bunch of people who want the Pats to trade down. Some want MHJ at #3. Me personally, I’d be thrilled with either Maye or Daniels at #3.
I agree, from the way it's shaping up. I see this year as the year we get the QB, and allow him to develop likely sitting under JB.. no LT, No #1WR.. it just feels like a bridge year to me.

Its impossible to make an honest judgment until 3 seasons have passed.

Look at Corky Mac. After his inaugural 2021 season folks were getting the champagne ready.
He looked "capable" in 2021.. QB whisperer Bill wasn't happy with that so he hired some QB guru's in 2022 to help Mac out!

Its impossible to make an honest judgment until 3 seasons have passed.

Look at Corky Mac. After his inaugural 2021 season folks were getting the champagne ready.
and after season 2, pitchforks

So here's one alternative in a mock draft at the Athletic:

*Trade: Vikings trade No. 11, No. 23, a first-round pick in 2025 and a second-round pick in 2026 to the Patriots for No. 3."

Pats then pick up a LT at 11 (Fashanu) and a WR at 23 (Mitchell) and hope their 2 first round picks next year are enough to land a QB.

Smart trade? Who the hell knows. You could argue that if the Vikings like Maye enough to offer a boatload, we should grab him ourselves.

*Trade: Vikings trade No. 11, No. 23, a first-round pick in 2025 and a second-round pick in 2026 to the Patriots for No. 3."

Pats then pick up a LT at 11 (Fashanu) and a WR at 23 (Mitchell) and hope their 2 first round picks next year are enough to land a QB.

Smart trade? Who the hell knows. You could argue that if the Vikings like Maye enough to offer a boatload, we should grab him ourselves.
They can keep #23 if they want to give up Justin Jefferson.

So you’re saying having a great WR makes any QB instantly better….

I agree, none of these QBs I think will have much stay in the NFL, take the sure thing and draft Harrison Jr. Let he and Jacoby become BFFs! While they are at it, go ahead and draft Jerry Rice’s kid in the later rounds.

Nobody ever heard of Maye until AFTER he was done playing.

The last line isn't even remotely true. Draft guys and podcasts have been talking about Caleb Williams AND Drake Maye since before the 2023 college season even started. Coming into the year, he was universally considered the 2nd best guy after Williams, and the only reason the conversation has shifted so much to him vs. Daniels is because Daniels had such an incredible season (which came somewhat out of nowhere).

None of this means that Drake Maye is a sure thing, but to say no one had heard of Maye is way off base.

I'm more of a Maye guy than a Daniels guy, mainly because I think Maye is a better fit for their new scheme and because he's a couple years younger. I could see Daniels ultimately working out, though - he has improved his game every year so who's to say he wouldn't adapt to this scheme and be great?

I do also like McCarthy, and pick 3 feels like a reach, but if they took him because they really love him then I would be fine with that too.
I see Daniels as having some degree of success regardless as long as he is an above average passer.

Wolfe isn’t going to take that chance. If the guy who goes at #3 becomes a stud it’s an automatic fireable offense.

Now the word is that Harrison Jr. won’t even work out at OSU’s pro day. It will be interesting to see what Daniels and Maye decide to do, some here were ripping Daniels for skipping the combine, it will be interesting to see if they now apply the same standard to Harrison Jr. for not working out at all.

I see Daniels as having some degree of success regardless as long as he is an above average passer.

Wolfe isn’t going to take that chance. If the guy who goes at #3 becomes a stud it’s an automatic fireable offense.
2 firsts unlikely to get us a top QB next year.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back