PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Demario Douglas: what’s the ceiling?

Right now, absent any other additions, I'd say we have a top 3 of Douglas, Bourne, and Osborn. I hope they give a longer look at Boutte. Be nice to see what he can do with a good WR coach, a better offense, and a coach who allows more than one rookie mistake for a WR.

If we do believe this: is the need at WR a little oversold then?

That depends. It took 5 years for Edelman to develop, but he was making the switch, which Douglas is not. Even Wes Welker took 3 years before he broke out. But Wes followed that with 3 straight 1000 yard seasons and 5 out of 6.. Which is pretty spectacular.

I took @BaconGrundleCandy's analysis on the changes in offense to heart. I put aside my bias and and acknowledged what he had to say. That teams need two Excellent receivers to win it now. So, while I am amongst the minority in regards to Thornton, I see that MHJ, Odunze, and Nabers are an upgrade over him. Which is why I have said I want a WR in the first followed by 2 OTs. Yes, I want the Pats to add an additional 1st or a 2nd so they can grab a QB. But, I'm going to be honest. After the Jones debacle, I don't want a 1st round QB. Too much of a monetary commitment with a slim to none chance of paying off.

Starting with 2021, Trevor Lawrence is the only 1st round QB still with his original team. Out of the 5 drafted. (1/5)
2020: All 4 of the 1st round picks are still with their original team. (5/9)
2019: Daniel Jones and Kyler Murray are still with their original teams.. but Murray is on the chopping block. Haskins has been out of the league 3 years. (7/12)
2018: Of the 5 QBs taken, only Allen and Jackson are with their original teams. (9/17)
2017: Only Mahomes is still with the team that Drafted him. (10/20)
2016: None of the 3 are with their original teams (10/23)
2015: Neither of the 2 (10/25)
2014: None of the 3 (10/28)
2013: Manuel is out of the league (10/29)
2012: Only 1 is still in the league. (10/33)

What does it say when none of the 13 QBs taken from 12-17 are with their original teams? We're talking about players that are in the 6-10 year range of their NFL QB career. That's supposed to be their PRIME.

I think this is something getting lost in the shuffle of the WR room talk.

Douglas had a very efficient, promising rookie season. Really had some great flashes.

That being said, what’s the expectation for him? Is he seen purely as a gadget-type 3rd receiver? Or is there WR1/WR2 potential in there? We know what we’re getting from Bourne and now Osborn. But I feel like we’ve maybe failed to consider the possibility Douglas may have more potential than we think.
I’m a bit worried that what will limit his potential is durability. Already has had a few concussions and seems like it can be hard to stay on the field. If not he should be a bonafide WR 2/3 here!

I

I like Pop Douglas, but he is never going to be Tyreek Hill
Agreed Hill is a once in a generation kind of elite talent (I hate the scumbag but he is phenomenal). Hill saved Tua’s career…..Doofin were trying to get rid of Tua before Hill came to town…now he is considered one of the top QB in league. We will see how elite Tua is when Hill gets injured!

Right now, absent any other additions, I'd say we have a top 3 of Douglas, Bourne, and Osborn. I hope they give a longer look at Boutte. Be nice to see what he can do with a good WR coach, a better offense, and a coach who allows more than one rookie mistake for a WR.
Agree on Boutte….he got in BB dog house and could never get out!

While i understand the excitement around Douglas, the guy with the most potential is the forgotten Marcus Jones. I wonder if this new staff will try him more at wr. He is pure electricity with the ball in his hands.

I like Pop Douglas, but he is never going to be Tyreek Hill
I know that, and said that.

He doesn't have to become Tyreek Hill to become a good or even great player.

But the notion that "he's too small" is utter garbage when the best weapon in the entire NFL is tiny, and I can name a bunch of other all-pro types who are also tiny as well.

If I can cite multiple examples, then it's not a hard and fast rule and Tyreek is no outlier.

Ahmed - Demario Douglas was 5'8 and 192. Tell me about DeVonta Smith, who was one of the best WRs in the league in 2024. Tank Dell, when healthy was electric last year. Is 5'8 192 that different than 5'10 and 198? Or 5'9 and 185 (Wes Welker). Or what about 5'11 - 190 Devin Hester?

BTW, DeVonta Smith was a 1000 yard receiver last year. That was his 2nd straight 1000 yrd season.. He's 6'0 and 170.

Maybe you should dial back your disdain and do a bit more research on players with the Size, Speed, and Agility of Douglas before you go spouting off that he's not going to amount to anything.
Disdain? Jesus! Why are you just making stuff up I did not say? I said he could be a good 800 yard player.

He is never going to be a reliable all down 1000+ receiver. Too small. Every player you mentioned is 5-10+.

What's his ceiling?? Depends on who's our LT right now we don't have one capable one on the Roster...we have a plan.

Meme Reaction GIF by ProBit Global

Disdain? Jesus! Why are you just making stuff up I did not say? I said he could be a good 800 yard player.

He is never going to be a reliable all down 1000+ receiver. Too small. Every player you mentioned is 5-10+.

I'm not the one making anything up. Your ATTITUDE is what is showing your disdain. Your claims that he's never going to be reliable because of his height are just asinine. Especially when this team has had the Likes of Troy Brown and Deion Branch on it. Neither of whom were a legitimate 5'10.

I'm thinking his ceiling (pie in the sky type ceiling) would be Steve Smith. Similar size (according to PFR, Smith is 5'9" 195 while Douglas is 5'8" 192), similar athletic numbers.

Now, part of what made Smith great was his attitude. Dude was a bulldog. Not sure Douglas has that same fire in him, but skill wise he could do a lot of similar things, just probably on a pitch count.

I think this is something getting lost in the shuffle of the WR room talk.

Douglas had a very efficient, promising rookie season. Really had some great flashes.

That being said, what’s the expectation for him? Is he seen purely as a gadget-type 3rd receiver? Or is there WR1/WR2 potential in there? We know what we’re getting from Bourne and now Osborn. But I feel like we’ve maybe failed to consider the possibility Douglas may have more potential than we think.
Upside would be a Troy Brown, Deion Branch, or Edelman at the very top end. IE he fits the slot WR role quite well and if he continues to get better will be important on 3rd downs.

Let's not get unrealistic here but he could become a decent piece of the offensive puzzle if he can pick up the AVP offense.

Upside would be a Troy Brown, Deion Branch, or Edelman at the very top end. IE he fits the slot WR role quite well and if he continues to get better will be important on 3rd downs.

Let's not get unrealistic here but he could become a decent piece of the offensive puzzle if he can pick up the AVP offense.
Branch wasn't a slot guy.

As I have noted since seeing him in training camp, Douglas is fantastic. He is the only receiver that the Patriots have that can get open so defenses are focuses on shutting him down or roughing him up. If the Patriots can land a true number one, then Douglas would really shine. So far the Patriots have failed miserably at getting such a player in this pathetic off season, but maybe they can find a gem in the draft.

it's on him and the staff

he has electric talent, but needs to develop the mental/preparation side of things, IMHO, to really make full use of that talent.......the route running, reading coverages, finding the soft spots in the zone, getting on the same page with his QB (actually having a functioning QB should also help)

will he just be an a occasional YAC monster, or a legit NFL WR?

I hope he can be a really good slot receiver. As far as his body type/size. Aren’t slot receivers normally on the smaller size? To me the key for a slot receiver is how well he runs pass patterns and of course being on the same page as the QB.

I hope he can be a really good slot receiver. As far as his body type/size. Aren’t slot receivers normally on the smaller size? To me the key for a slot receiver is how well he runs pass patterns and of course being on the same page as the QB.
It depends. Mohammed Sanu made a living on it. So did Anquan Boldin. As mentioned, the other way, Steve Smith was a fantastic outside receiver.

It depends. Mohammed Sanu made a living on it. So did Anquan Boldin. As mentioned, the other way, Steve Smith was a fantastic outside receiver.
I always wanted Anquan Boldin on the Pats when he was playing.

The best weapon in the entire NFL is 5'8" 185 pounds... I never want to hear "he's too small to be elite" ever again.
Different body types though. Tyreek is STACKED. Pops looks pretty slight to me and has already had issues getting banged up.

His ceiling is a solid WR2

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back