PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your 2017 Pittsburgh Steelers…

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is so wonderful and sweet. Widdle choo-choo JuJu. How old is he now -- eight?

View attachment 18851

Bc Patriot players don't & haven't had nicknames since the start of the team?

Could have just said you have no idea what your're talking abt? Since it's apparent you don't.

Honestly, not sure who is going to win. What Butler did last year with Brown was so rare and I can't fathom it being duplicated again without some kind of lights out pressure on qb or overall great team defense. Brown still had a good game, just not these explosive otherworldy games we've pretty much seen all season from him. Maybe its Butler? Maybe Gilmore will get his chance?

Pats have traditionally had success vs Bell, even when he left last year his ypc was looking like it was going to be a long ugly night. But he is just really great and its hard not admire how he runs and if he gets going or a succesfull game plan is made, that he can hurt you in a lot of ways.

Meh, Brady and his history have certainly been on the plus side. I don't think the Pats are discussing that though. It's all about this week and the game plan, this is a football game, not what is Brady's td to int ratio or past wins and losses. Those are for media and stat counters. As we all know you can humilate and embarrass a team 45-3 one week and then get bounced in the playoffs by the same team.

It just underscores the importance of the OL/DL+OLB matchup IMO. If Tuitt, Heyward et al stay blocked it's gonna be a long day.

It will be really interesting to see how Pitt deploys TJ Watt in this game - with Dupree out, Watt is the best coverage backer. But he's also probably their best pass-rushing LB as well, and he might have an advantage if they put him over Cannon's replacement...but then again, they lose his coverage ability every time they rush him.
Honestly, not sure who is going to win. What Butler did last year with Brown was so rare and I can't fathom it being duplicated again without some kind of lights out pressure on qb or overall great team defense. Brown still had a good game, just not these explosive otherworldy games we've pretty much seen all season from him. Maybe its Butler? Maybe Gilmore will get his chance?

Pats have traditionally had success vs Bell, even when he left last year his ypc was looking like it was going to be a long ugly night. But he is just really great and its hard not admire how he runs and if he gets going or a succesfull game plan is made, that he can hurt you in a lot of ways.

Meh, Brady and his history have certainly been on the plus side. I don't think the Pats are discussing that though. It's all about this week and the game plan, this is a football game, not what is Brady's td to int ratio or past wins and losses. Those are for media and stat counters. As we all know you can humilate and embarrass a team 45-3 one week and then get bounced in the playoffs by the same team.

Game will probably come down to whose secondary is healthier. Both look pretty banged up right now with the Patriots' secondary playing on a short week.

Great post Bud. There has never been a more appropriate time to say, "you are a gentleman and a scholar". I say Pittsurgh 42-21. I wouldn't celebrate too much yet though, we shall meet again.

Bc Patriot players don't & haven't had nicknames since the start of the team?
What does that have to do with Choo-Choo Juju?

Could have just said you have no idea what your're talking abt? Since it's apparent you don't.
This makes even less sense than your question above. Go clog a few more arteries with sugar bacon and enjoy your goofy Steelers.

Last edited:
The other obvious dilemma for Pitt is that to get to the SB, they'd likely have to beat the Pats *twice* in a 5 or 6 week span - has that EVER happened in the TB/BB era?

There were extenuating circumstances in both games, but Denver accomplished this just two years ago.

Recently read a report where Pittsburgh has activated players carrying the questionable tag on gameday just 35% of the time since the rule change for new designations occurred at the start of 2016.

I’m guessing that Haden doesn’t play, but Smith Schuster is active.

No Van Noy against the steelers. That really hurts.
Bigger front versus the run. Guy, Butler, Brown, Flowers, with Chung attempting to cover Bell. Will be interesting to see how much guys like Harris plays, or even Richards for that matter (guessing not too nuch). Roberts will be our main main, again. Let’s hope he’s kept out of isolation situations as much as possible, which I’m sure he will be.

We’ve got this.

Interesting that Rapsheet is reporting that Haden might be a go after some of the Steelers beat guys actually said that Haden told them he wont play.

Weird, especially because that Steelers beat guy on Quick Slants a day ago explicitly mentioned that practice made it look like Haden is still at least a week away.

Interesting that Rapsheet is reporting that Haden might be a go after some of the Steelers beat guys actually said that Haden told them he wont play.

Weird, especially because that Steelers beat guy on Quick Slants a day ago explicitly mentioned that practice made it look like Haden is still at least a week away.

Well, that would suck. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Tomlin throwing anything and everything at the wall as though this were the SB, only to have it backfire several weeks down the road in a rematch.

I would like to see them put Jonathan Jones on Brown with safety help over the top, imo he’s the only DB they have who can match Brown’s quickness. They can use Chung to spy Bell but they are going to need a way to switch out when Bell moves out wide.

Well, that would suck. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Tomlin throwing anything and everything at the wall as though this were the SB, only to have it backfire several weeks down the road in a rematch.

La Canfora is now saying that it is more likely Haden is back next week than this week. So there you go..

Some last minute thoughts on potential inactives prior to the game:

CB Coty Sensabaugh and TE Vance McDonald will be OUT today. The oft-injured McDonald is more of a loss than it might seem – he is the Steelers most athletic TE, and is capable of working the middle of the field. He’s also gives Pitt a boost in the run game. But his absence was pretty much expected.

Sensabaugh OTOH is a mild surprise. He has not played well of late, yielding snaps to rookie Cam Sutton in Haden’s absence. But he is an experienced corner with man experience, on a unit needs all of the experience and man capability it can get heading into the Pats game.

Joe Haden: .Haden is listed as a ‘gametime’ decision, but he seemed like a limited participant in practice—this, after a mutli-week absence--so it would be a bit surprising if he saw the field today. And if he does make it, it’s fair to wonder how effective he’ll be. If Haden can’t go, Pitt would be left with Artie Burns and the rookie Sutton outside, with aging William Gay (zone-only at this point in his career) and raw rookie Brian Allen in reserve outside. So Pitt could field a CB group that is dangerously young and inexperienced.

JuJu looks like he’s a go, but he has a nagging hamstring injury, so we’ll see how effective he can be (and whether he can last the entire game). This is a big deal - he is easily Pitt’s 2nd most reliable receiver, and is critical to their ability to work the middle of the field form the slot. He is almost the inverse of Bryant: Bryant is an otherworldly physical talent, but shows marginal hands, is limited in his routes, is not strong when the ball is in the air, and shows surprisingly poor balance and YAC ability for someone so physically gifted; JuJu in contrast has has terrific hands, is reliable in his routes, routinely makes contested catches in the middle of the field, is a physical presence in the run game (almost a 2nd TE), and makes up for his lack of elite speed with tremendous balance and strength, which allows him to run through tackles for YAC that’s often superior to Bryant. Moreover there is a significant dropoff in terms of *reliability* from JuJu to Bryant and Eli Rogers, who have both have frankly regressed from previous years. As last year’s AFCCG showed, it’s essential for Pitt to have a reliable wideout threat outside of AB. JuJu's presence on the field would be huge.

On the Pats’ side, it will be interesting to see how effective Flowers can be as a pass-rusher. The OTs – Villanueva on the left side and Hubbard (who has replaced starter Marcus Gilbert most of the year) have played well on a unit that has surrendered one of the fewest sack totals in the league….That said, the OTs are clearly the most vulnerable linemen in the group, so we’ll see if Flowers can get by a time or two to harass Roethlisberger. Big Ben has enjoyed terrific protection all year, but when under pressure has put up uncharacteristically pedestrian numbers.

Cannon’s absence could be quite significant (although I confess to knowing next to nothing about Fleming and Waddle). It should be noted however that Pitt drops its OLBs a large percentage of the time (this is not as LB-centric scheme in the way that it was 10-15 years ago). Pitt’s OLBs are works in progress – Bud Dupree is a tremendous physical specimen who will flash with great speed and quickness, but has not developed reliable counter-moves, and is often pushed up the edge and out of the play; T.J. Watt seems like an excellent two-way prospect (he along with Shazier are our best coverage LBs) and shows more burst and better technique as a pass rusher than you’d expect, but is largely an ‘effort’ player at this point in his career. Both can hurt you, but neither will be confused with Von Miller... Bottom line, Cannon’s replacement will probably be in more danger if isolated on Heyward or Tuitt in pass pro, than Watt or Dupree.

Van Noy – I think he’s a pretty big loss. From a sheer numbers perspective, NE is clearly depleted in their LB core. Van Noy’s versatility would have been quite useful in this game as well; part of what I worry about when Big Ben faces a BB defense is the degree to which Ben will become tentative, when confronted with different looks, and I would imagine that Van Noy would have been a helpful chess piece in this regard. New England has a somewhat similar dilemma to Pittsburgh when it comes to matching up their depleted LB core against Pittsburgh’s middle-of-the-field weaponry – if Pitt can scheme to consistently isolate a Le’Veon Bell or even JuJu Smith-Schuster out of the slot against the NE LBs, can players like David Harris et al hold up?

Alan Branch – FWIW, for all his accolades, Bell has not had his best year running the ball…and arguably the OL (outside of DeCastro) has not had its best year in run-blocking. But Pitt has still shown at various times that it can still wear a defensive front out with its ground attack, so Branch’s absence could be a problem if Pitt opts to grind it out.

Chris Hogan – all I can say is, I wish him all the best in his recovery...but Steelers’ fans everywhere are breathing a *massive* sigh of relief, as they still have nightmares of him running free through the secondary in the last AFCCG...

CB Coty Sensabaugh and TE Vance McDonald will be OUT today. The oft-injured McDonald is more of a loss than it might seem – he is the Steelers most athletic TE, and is capable of working the middle of the field. He’s also gives Pitt a boost in the run game. But his absence was pretty much expected.

As you have said I honestly think that McDonald missing is a bigger deal than most people notice. It makes sense given the gigantic shadow of Bell and Brown but with all the additional coverages that those two will be put under I think the middle of the field will be more open than people realize.

Joe Haden: .Haden is listed as a ‘gametime’ decision, but he seemed like a limited participant in practice—this, after a mutli-week absence--so it would be a bit surprising if he saw the field today.

You really dont want to rush someone coming back from a longer injury into a game. This is a recipe for pulling a hammy or some other kind of muscle injury. This is a case where Tomlin needs to keep the playoffs in mind.

Cannon’s absence could be quite significant (although I confess to knowing next to nothing about Fleming and Waddle).

Cannon has been injured for a long time and the OL has not really missed a beat with Waddle as RT. Until Waddle got injured and Fleming needed to come in which led to more blocking help from TEs and RBs.

If Waddle is healthy and plays I wouldnt expect it to actually be a bigger issue.

Alan Branch – FWIW, for all his accolades, Bell has not had his best year running the ball…and arguably the OL (outside of DeCastro) has not had its best year in run-blocking.

Branch has been having a pretty bad-to-average season so far so him missing is a hit in terms of depth and keeping people fresh but not really a situation that is new to the team.

I was positive this ref crew would hamper Gronk with OPI calls all day...I was so wrong that I'll become right in about ten thousand years...crazy has its' drawbacks it would seem...

Re/ why Pitt doesn't mix in more man

Feast...or beast - there is no famine. Combo coverage with consistent double team and hold/grab all game is the only "coverage" style to impact Gronkowski. That was pretty obvious yesterday when he killed single man coverage and even beat two double team coverages (and one triple team).

The issue there is by doing that, it's going to be LB, or worse DL, on Lewis or White and the Pats are smart enough to capitalize by spreading out.

Feast...or beast - there is no famine. Combo coverage with consistent double team and hold/grab all game is the only "coverage" style to impact Gronkowski. That was pretty obvious yesterday when he killed single man coverage and even beat two double team coverages (and one triple team).

The issue there is by doing that, it's going to be LB, or worse DL, on Lewis or White and the Pats are smart enough to capitalize by spreading out.
Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the guys on the other side.

Play zone, Brady shreds you. Play man, you have a HoF TE and man coverage beater. I thought Pitt did well to hang on as long as they did defensively. There's a reason NE wins as often as it does ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes