PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Demario Douglas: what’s the ceiling?

I think he can be a good slot guy but he has already been pretty banged up in his first season. I don't know if he can be a real volume guy.
He can't. He simply does not have the body for it. But he can probably get us 60 catches and 800 yards.

Lots of talent but he needs to work on knowing where to go and make sure he is running the same play everyone else is. Easy to say, difficult to do.
Which describes 100% of rookies entering the NFL.

I see Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett

He can be a good slot and chain mover, but he’s not a number 1.

Guys who separate from man coverage are extremely valuable and that’s Douglas. The yards after catch are also a huge bonus. He can be a good #2 option to someone great or a great #3. If you have two receivers better than him, you’re in great shape as an offense.

He can't. He simply does not have the body for it. But he can probably get us 60 catches and 800 yards.
Didn't you read what I just wrote on the page prior?

The best weapon in the entire NFL Tyreek Hill is 5'8" 185 pounds... so I never want to hear "he's too small to be elite" ever again.

The best weapon in the entire NFL Tyreek Hill is 5'8" 185 pounds... so I never want to hear "he's too small to be elite" ever again.
Yeah... because I care what you want or don't want to hear. Like 1 out of 1000s actually means anything.

Yeah... because I care what you want or don't want to hear. Like 1 out of 1000s actually means anything.
I could make a long list of guys of similar size producing in the NFL at a high to medium level. Size is only important in relation to athleticism. Douglas is very athletic, he certainly had room to get stronger leaving college and I suspect he has in an NFL weight room. We'll see what he weighs in at this year.

There's no reason that he couldn't become a Tyreek-lite. If we're talking ceiling.
Will he (or anyone) be as unstoppable as Hill at his size, not likely. But, if he puts in the work and dedication, and the system puts an intentional focus on using him, he seems to have the knack for space and shiftiness to become THE target in the offense.
I'll be shocked if he doesn't have > 60/700 this season. TD's will be hard to comeby with all the goal-line options though.
But depending on who else they get at WR, he could be a 100 rec. guy by next year.
Tyreek has blistering speed. DD does not.
His ceiling could be Antonio Brown lite

I could make a long list of guys of similar size producing in the NFL at a high to medium level. Size is only important in relation to athleticism. Douglas is very athletic, he certainly had room to get stronger leaving college and I suspect he has in an NFL weight room. We'll see what he weighs in at this year.
Hill is 5-10 and much faster than Douglas so hard to even touch.

Other than MJD I can't remember a single elite every down player that is 5-8 or less in the last 20 years.

I'm really not sure, but it could be high.

He got banged up last year, though.

His ceiling drops if that continues.

Hill is 5-10 and much faster than Douglas so hard to even touch.

Other than MJD I can't remember a single elite every down player that is 5-8 or less in the last 20 years.
Hill is the most explosive weapon in the NFL, nobody is as athletic as he is... he was still 5'8" 185 pounds exiting college.

Also Douglas doesn't have to become Tyreek Hill to become a dangerous player, there are other similar-sized guys to compare him to like his classmates Zay Flowers and Tank Dell... good players.

Demario showed great promise in a league worst passing game and offense last season... has to say something about him.

Pro day, both Hill And Douglass same height, within 5 pounds of each other. Hill was faster but didn’t run at the combine just at his pro day, so it is a little less exact.

I

I like Pop Douglas, but he is never going to be Tyreek Hill

If we do believe this: is the need at WR a little oversold then?
No, you still need a flanker. And a good one. Douglas is anything but a finished product.

I'm more in the Amendola camp than Edelman if we're making comparisons.

Ahmed - Demario Douglas was 5'8 and 192. Tell me about DeVonta Smith, who was one of the best WRs in the league in 2024. Tank Dell, when healthy was electric last year. Is 5'8 192 that different than 5'10 and 198? Or 5'9 and 185 (Wes Welker). Or what about 5'11 - 190 Devin Hester?

BTW, DeVonta Smith was a 1000 yard receiver last year. That was his 2nd straight 1000 yrd season.. He's 6'0 and 170.

Maybe you should dial back your disdain and do a bit more research on players with the Size, Speed, and Agility of Douglas before you go spouting off that he's not going to amount to anything.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back