PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Demario Douglas: what’s the ceiling?

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I think this is something getting lost in the shuffle of the WR room talk.

Douglas had a very efficient, promising rookie season. Really had some great flashes.

That being said, what’s the expectation for him? Is he seen purely as a gadget-type 3rd receiver? Or is there WR1/WR2 potential in there? We know what we’re getting from Bourne and now Osborn. But I feel like we’ve maybe failed to consider the possibility Douglas may have more potential than we think.

WR2 potential maybe Chris Godwin esque

With his production his rookie year, especially compared to the production of the rest of the team, and given the QBs they had throwing to them I don't see why we should put a ceiling on him.

With a good QB and some more development it's very reasonable to expect more output. Does that take him all the way to WR1 and one of the better WR1s in the league probably not but very easy to project him as a pretty good starter sort of like Myers but no reason to set that as the ceiling. So I guess I'm expecting something between those 2 things.

On the other hand maybe what we saw last year is what he is and the numbers may have come quickly for him out of lack of other options. But again he was just a rookie so I'm sticking with he earned the benefit of some higher expectations now.

Last edited:
Too small to ever be an elite WR. I don't think he can even be an every down player for the same reason. His catch % was not great but it was only his 1st year.

That said he is probably the most exciting player on offense with a lot of potential.

Three please.

I believe his ceiling is high. Maybe not a #1 but a good #2.

Wes welker, needs a good qb to get there though

Too small to ever be an elite WR. I don't think he can even be an every down player for the same reason. His catch % was not great but it was only his 1st year.

That said he is probably the most exciting player on offense with a lot of potential.
The best weapon in the entire NFL is 5'8" 185 pounds... I never want to hear "he's too small to be elite" ever again.

Douglas had a very efficient, promising rookie season. Really had some great flashes.

That being said, what’s the expectation for him? Is he seen purely as a gadget-type 3rd receiver? Or is there WR1/WR2 potential in there? We know what we’re getting from Bourne and now Osborn. But I feel like we’ve maybe failed to consider the possibility Douglas may have more potential than we think.
He clearly is the most explosive WR we have. He gets open in a phone booth, has a great attitude, as bad as we were offensively last season it was just another mystery why he didn't play more and didn't start games. What I'm thinking is KB, KJ, and pop could be our starters becuase Gibson can actually be used as a WR/RB as well. The last rookie that I remember having similar production in his rookie season was dobson. But I agree Douglas has alot more potential.

People may disagree but data doesn't care about their feelings. Look at all the great "short" WRs and you'll notice they're all 5'10 with a couple at 5'9. WRs and CBs 5'8 and under are hard capped for potential. Not to say they can't be good contributors. Pop could be a good WR2 and I'd be thrilled to see him get there.

What are the ceilings on Zay Flowers or Tank Dell?

Those are reasonable player comparisons, the Pats need a QB or he'll never approach his ceiling.
Lots of talent but he needs to work on knowing where to go and make sure he is running the same play everyone else is. Easy to say, difficult to do.

Lots of talent but he needs to work on knowing where to go and make sure he is running the same play everyone else is. Easy to say, difficult to do.
Yep. He's got the physical skills to be really good but he's got to show he can get his head on the same page as the QB. New OC, QB, and WR coach should help with all of those. I hope he makes the jump.

Tough to say after a year like last, tons of potential but the size is worrisome. If he turns into a solid WR2/3 in a GOOD offense and puts up numbers like 75/800 I’d be happy

The best weapon in the entire NFL is 5'8" 185 pounds... I never want to hear "he's too small to be elite" ever again.
Tank Dell > Pop Douglas wanted him last year. Look at those impressive numbers in a injury shortened year.

I think he can be a good slot guy but he has already been pretty banged up in his first season. I don't know if he can be a real volume guy.

If the offense can open things up for him and get the ball in his hands he's going to be a highlight reel and a household name.

His start-stop stutter step is RIDICULOUS.

There's no reason that he couldn't become a Tyreek-lite. If we're talking ceiling.
Will he (or anyone) be as unstoppable as Hill at his size, not likely. But, if he puts in the work and dedication, and the system puts an intentional focus on using him, he seems to have the knack for space and shiftiness to become THE target in the offense.
I'll be shocked if he doesn't have > 60/700 this season. TD's will be hard to comeby with all the goal-line options though.
But depending on who else they get at WR, he could be a 100 rec. guy by next year.

Douglas has Julian Edelman potential in terms of production.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back