PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why we don't value the X reciever position?

Deon Branch was NEVER an "alpha WR" that the other 2 guys you mentioned. He never had even one 1000 yd season and only came close one year (2005). Great WR's don't individually make great offenses. Didn't 20 years of the Pats with Brady or even the KC experience this year, teach us that.. Good defenses, and ST's, consistent and balanced offenses, and a championship QB create superbowls. You know like a whole TEAM, like the game was meant to be.

AND for the thousand's time, "alpha WR's" are great to have. It's not that I wouldn't want to have one or two, but you don't NEED one to be a championship team. Think about all the alpha WR's who never won a championship.
So keep picking #2s and #3s talent wise and let them develop over time. Great. Do you trust the coaches, I guess so. Here's to 2024....

Y

So keep picking #2s and #3s talent wise and let them develop over time. Great. Do you trust the coaches, I guess so. Here's to 2024....
Man, you HAVE to change your username to grumpylife or angrylife or sarcasticlife. OR maybe you should just read my posts more carefully.

When did I say we should JUST have #2's and 3's as WR'S I stated that you don't NEED them to be winners. Plus who knows when you draft or sign young WR's who is going to develop into a #1.

Colleges spew out more NFL caliber WR's. than any other position. Something like 15-20 most years. There will likely be 5-7 go in the 1st round just this year. (Easily 7 in the first 40 picks)

There are 3 or 4 QB's that would make EVERYONE happy at #3. A case can be made for all of them. I don't want to pick even a guy who might end up an elite WR, who, on a good day will get 10 looks, over a QB who is going to trigger 60--70

Do I WANT a #1? ABSOLUTELY , but you CANNOT bypass an elite "prospect" at QB even when you. KNOW it'll take time or even not work out at all.

What’s a #2 versus a #1 talent wise?

Seriously, I’m asking because we have people complaining on another thread the Pat’s didn’t trade and pay Brandon Ayuik a stupid big contract, or they didn’t pay Calvin Ridley 90 million dollars.

Calvin Ridley
6-0 189
4.43 forty
15 bench
31" vert
110" broad
4.37 shuttle
6.88 cone

Brandon Ayuik
6-0 205
4.50 forty
11 bench
40" vert
128" broad
0.00 shuttle
0.00 cone

KJ Osborne
5-11 203
4.48 forty
18 bench
37.5" vert
123" broad
4.35 shuttle
7.00 cone

Juju Smith Schuster
6-1 215
4.54 forty
15 bench
33.5" vert
123" broad
4.18 shuttle
6.93 cone

Ridley is getting more money than our entire WR room combined. He’s a #2 like the rest of them. Juju’s best season with big Ben throwing him the ball is better than any single season by all of these guys.

Get a QB, fix the offensive line… weapons are everywhere.

I'll just say I should've drafted WR for the past 5 years.

In 2017 I wanted Cooper Kupp

2018 I wanted Courtland Sutton

2019 the infamous Nkeal selection. I wanted Deebo

Today's "we" is not necessarily the same sort of "we" as yesteryear's "we," one certainly hopes.

AND for the thousand's time, "alpha WR's" are great to have. It's not that I wouldn't want to have one or two, but you don't NEED one to be a championship team. Think about all the alpha WR's who never won a championship.
Its arguably the 2nd most important position behind QB. When you look at the money teams are spending, resources they use to acquire them, impact they have on the field They've become as or more important than any position save QB. Most will say tackle bc that's what they're used to saying but game hS changed. Also anyone that knows even a little about about OL understands you're looking to "survive" as opposed to "win." Mainly bc defensive players are more athletic and quicker. So you don't need elite there although no one would ever complain about having a OL. You simply can't get away with "surviving" at WR in 2024.

Back to your post above, specifically about superbowls. I dont want to get into an argument involving semantics but there's little difference between WR1 & TE1. Even usage especially given how much more the slot position has evolved. Let's look at both teams though. Here's 10 or so, recent history for obvious reasons. Mostly WR1 types. Monster slots in Kelce and Ertz. More traditional Y in Gronk and Olsen. These are all top tier players though. Especially during that specific year. As good as it gets.

24 - Kelce/Deebo or Aiyuk

23 - Kelce / Brown

22 - Kupp /Chase

21 - Evans / Kelce

20 - Kelce / Kittle

19 - Gronk / Woods or Cooks (both had 1200+)

18 - Ertz or Jeffrey / Gronk

17 - Gronk / Jones

16 - Thomas or Sanders / Olsen / Ginn

15 - Gronk / Baldwin

14 - Baldwin or Tate / Decker or Thomas

Let's look at points, yards, total yards ...

Top 12 in points (no order)

Miami - Hill, Waddle, Wilson

49ers - Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle

Lions, Jamo, ASTB, LaPorta

Bills, Diggs, Davis, Kincaid

Cowboys - Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson

Ravens - Flowers, Beckham, Andrews

Rams, Puka, Kupp, Atwell

Phila - Brown, Smith, Goedert

GB - Reed, Wicks, Doubs

NO - Olave, Shaheed, Thomas

Cleve - Cooper, Moore, Njoku

Indy - Pittman, Downs, Pierce

Top 12 in pass yds

Minne - Addison, Jefferson, Hock

KC - Kelce, Watson, Rice

Houston - Collins, Tank, Schultz

Jags - Ridley, Kirk, Engram

Rams, Puka, Kupp, Atwell

GB - Reed, Wicks, Doubs

You could argue 9/12 teams have legit WR1 with a lot of WR1B & WR2.

Few teams from 2022-23

points, total yards, pass yards (no order)

Detroit - 5 points, 3 tot yds, 6 pass yds

Minnesota - 7 points, 7 tot yds, 5 pass yds

Philadelphia - 2 points, 2 tot yds, 9 pass yds

Buffalo - 4 points, 4 tot yds, 8 pass yds (only played 16 games)

Miami - 11 points, 6 tot yds, 4 pass yds

Las Vegas - 12 points, 11 tot yds, 11 pass yds

Seattle - 9 points, 12 tot yds, 12 pass yds

KC - 1 points, 1 total yds, 1 pass yds

Jags - 10 points, 9 total yds, 10 pass yds

More than half have WR1 with a good amount of WR1B / WR2.

Between both years, most, if not all. Are WR1 types. These guys are so good it'll fluctuate slightly year to year but no one would argue the majority of these teams don't have legit top-tier, top 3-10 WR. And lots of WR1B/WR2, which is just as telling. Teams know you need more than one top-tier player getting targets to get to where they want to go.

Back to your post above. You're certainly not approaching real success without special targets. Even if the position changes, it doesn't matter. You need a HOF caliber TE Kittke, Gronk and Kelce to replace that WR1. With quality options behind them.

OL is still key and extremely important. Obviously QB is king. Top tier TE are very clutch. WR has really craved out a spot for itself when you look at how much teams are passing, the rule changes and evolution of the player, physically. Everyone is a freak now. And the usage and role. It's changed dramatically in those regards over the last 30 years.

Whether its getting or winning the SB. Being top 5-10 in points, yards. WR have become as important as any position besides QB.

Its arguably the 2nd most important position behind QB. When you look at the money teams are spending, resources they use to acquire them, impact they have on the field They've become as or more important than any position save QB. Most will say tackle bc that's what they're used to saying but game hS changed. Also anyone that knows even a little about about OL understands you're looking to "survive" as opposed to "win." Mainly bc defensive players are more athletic and quicker. So you don't need elite there although no one would ever complain about having a OL. You simply can't get away with "surviving" at WR in 2024.

Back to your post above, specifically about superbowls. I dont want to get into an argument involving semantics but there's little difference between WR1 & TE1. Even usage especially given how much more the slot position has evolved. Let's look at both teams though. Here's 10 or so, recent history for obvious reasons. Mostly WR1 types. Monster slots in Kelce and Ertz. More traditional Y in Gronk and Olsen. These are all top tier players though. Especially during that specific year. As good as it gets.

23 - Kelce / Brown

22 - Kupp /Chase

21 - Evans / Kelce

20 - Kelce / Kittle

17 - Gronk / Jones

15 - Gronk / Baldwin

Rams, Puka, Kupp, Atwell

GB - Reed, Wicks, Doubs

Top 12 in pass yds

KC - Kelce, Watson, Rice

Rams, Puka, Kupp, Atwell

GB - Reed, Wicks, Doubs

Few teams from 2022-23

Between both years, most, if not all. Are WR1 types. These guys are so good it'll fluctuate slightly year to year but no one would argue the majority of these teams don't have legit top-tier, top 3-10 WR. And lots of WR1B/WR2, which is just as telling. Teams know you need more than one top-tier player getting targets to get to where they want to go.

Back to your post above. You're certainly not approaching real success without special targets. Even if the position changes, it doesn't matter. You need a HOF caliber TE Kittke, Gronk and Kelce to replace that WR1. With quality options behind them.

OL is still key and extremely important. Obviously QB is king. Top tier TE are very clutch. WR has really craved out a spot for itself when you look at how much teams are passing, the rule changes and evolution of the player, physically. Everyone is a freak now. And the usage and role. It's changed dramatically in those regards over the last 30 years.

Whether its getting or winning the SB. Being top 5-10 in points, yards. WR have become as important as any position besides QB.
Interesting and I tend to agree.

What do you think of what Harbaugh says here. They can have Nabers at #5.

BTW, I don't agree w/ him 100%. A great QB can make the OL look elite and a bad one makes them look like crap.

It should be "why didn't we value the X receiver position". New regime, new values.

23 - Kelce / Brown

22 - Kupp /Chase

21 - Evans / Kelce

20 - Kelce / Kittle

17 - Gronk / Jones

15 - Gronk / Baldwin

Rams, Puka, Kupp, Atwell

GB - Reed, Wicks, Doubs

Top 12 in pass yds

KC - Kelce, Watson, Rice

Rams, Puka, Kupp, Atwell

GB - Reed, Wicks, Doubs

Few teams from 2022-23

Great explanation. Your an expert. How many years should the fans give Mayo for the rebuild? What is your vision of year 1 with the Mayo regime? Wins and loses, hypothetical of course. How did Bill Fail? I believe he lost the coaching edge on coaching up low level players due to attrition of coaches and himself.

Last edited:
Based on all that I agree the Pats should take a receiver in round 2 over a Tackle.
Almost all those players you listed were not drafted at the top of round 1. With such a deep WR draft it definitely makes sense to draft QB 1 and WR 2.
You need to have separation from Wide Receivers through scheme or skill. Douglas can separate. If The guy they get in round 2 or trade up into 1 can also separate and the QB drafted can be accurate you got your core. Get a tackle in 3 or 1 in 2025.

I'm on board with WR over Tackle if you get a QB that can move. If you get Penix, you need the tackle first. I think all the other top QB's can move and absolutely makes the WR more important than a tackle. Of course, QB trumps all and always will. Mahomes won with a declining Kelce and WR's that were adequate because he could extend plays and has the accuracy and arm strength to hit them. Add the play calling to get people open.... and the fact the defense was really good.

I'll just say I should've drafted WR for the past 5 years.

In 2017 I wanted Cooper Kupp

2018 I wanted Courtland Sutton

2019 the infamous Nkeal selection. I wanted Deebo
Deebo is ok, but not really elite.

Ok. I have come to a come to Jesus moment. I would consult, Bledsoe, Zolak and Brady first. If Bledsoe was the draft pick this year I would say yes to the pick. I remember 2 and 14. We are there again.. Bledsoe and Parcells changed everything. So is this qb3 at 3 worth it x qbs of the Patriots? What do you say?

Last edited:
Interesting and I tend to agree.

What do you think of what Harbaugh says here. They can have Nabers at #5.

BTW, I don't agree w/ him 100%. A great QB can make the OL look elite and a bad one makes them look like crap.

A bad line can end a franchise QB's career, see Andrew Luck.

23 - Kelce / Brown

22 - Kupp /Chase

21 - Evans / Kelce

20 - Kelce / Kittle

17 - Gronk / Jones

15 - Gronk / Baldwin

Rams, Puka, Kupp, Atwell

GB - Reed, Wicks, Doubs

Top 12 in pass yds

KC - Kelce, Watson, Rice

Rams, Puka, Kupp, Atwell

GB - Reed, Wicks, Doubs

Few teams from 2022-23

Second most important position based on money spent, okay...

Josh McDaniels took over the Raiders job and made Devante Adams his priority by paying him, he was fired within a season.

Mike McDaniels took over the Dolphins, traded the world and paid Tyreek Hill more than anyone... he's gone 0-2 getting booted in the first round of the playoffs the last two years.

Justin Jefferson has played and lost one playoff game in his career.

Is there anyone better than these ^ guys?

Randy Moss, Deandre Hopkins, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ Brown and Stefon Diggs... how many rings between them?

Meanwhile the Chiefs the past two seasons have had no #1 WR's, but have a great QB, top ranked D and the most expensive offensive line in the NFL = 2 rings.

WR is probably the single most overrated position by fans. It's important to have a good stable of them, but you don't need one overpriced diva to win... in fact the money paid out seems a hinderance more than a net positive.

Last edited:
Second most important position based on money spent, okay...

Josh McDaniels took over the Raiders job and made Devante Adams his priority by paying him, he was fired within a season.

Mike McDaniels took over the Dolphins, traded the world and paid Tyreek Hill more than anyone... he's gone 0-2 getting booted in the first round of the playoffs the last two years.

Justin Jefferson has played and lost one playoff game in his career.

Is there anyone better than these ^ guys?

Randy Moss, Devante Adam’s, Deandre Hopkins, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones and Stefon Diggs... how many rings between them?

Meanwhile the Chiefs the past seasons have had no #1 WR's, but have a QB and the most expensive offensive line in the NFL = 2 rings.

WR is probably the single most overrated position by fans. It's important to have a good stable of them, but you don't need one overpriced diva to win... in fact the money paid out seems a hinderance more than a positive.
I think you are missing the point. Top rated teams all have one thing in common. Great receivers. Could be a TE, could be a slot, could be WR1, could be the back? The question you should be asking is can this Rookie coaching staff (Coach up) mediocre talent or do they need to get a highly likely talented Reciever? Bill thought he could get FA's to do it. Nope. A first round qb? Nope. How about a consensus first round receiver? I would agree if they thought this 3 pick was Drew Bledsoe like. I'm all in. If not, get top receiver to BEGIN the process. We are in the same boat when we was 2-14.

I think you are missing the point. Top rated teams all have one thing in common. Great receivers. Could be a TE, could be a slot, could be WR1, could be the back? The question you should be asking is can this Rookie coaching staff (Coach up) mediocre talent or do they need to get a highly likely talented Reciever? Bill thought he could get FA's to do it. Nope. A first round qb? Nope. How about a consensus first round receiver? I would agree if they thought this 3 pick was Drew Bledsoe like. I'm all in. If not, get top receiver to BEGIN the process. We are in the same boat when we was 2-14.
I just said the Chiefs haven’t had a superior WR for the last two seasons and won it all. What am I missing?

And please don’t say Kelce, he’s a TE. Juju was Mahomes leading WR in both the regular season and playoffs the year before last.

Top rated teams have one thing in common, they’re great in all three phases and have talent spread out in every unit across their rosters. Overpaying one diva WR has been a recipe for failure, so your declarative statement has no basis in fact.

I just said the Chiefs haven’t had a superior WR for the last two seasons and won it all. What am I missing?

And please don’t say Kelce, he’s a TE. Juju was Mahomes leading WR in both the regular season and playoffs the year before last.

Top rated teams have one thing in common, they’re great in all three phases and have talent spread out in every unit across their rosters. Overpaying one diva WR has been a recipe for failure, so your declarative statement has no basis in fact.
Ok. You made your point. I believe Kelce/Mahomes like Brady/Gronk. Brady/Gronk traveled and won. How about the San Fran look?

Ok. You made your point. I believe Kelce/Mahomes like Brady/Gronk. Brady/Gronk traveled and won. How about the San Fran look?
Gronk got hurt in 2016 and the Pat’s still won a ring, he was playing with a hematoma in his thigh in 2018 and could barely run. The Eagles won a year later with no single superweapon, Zach Ertz was their leading receiver.

San Francisco just lost to a team with no #1 WR, and while many here wanted to give Mahomes all the credit despite his offense not generating a single scoring drive in regulation… it was KC’s special teams and defense that won the game.

Purdy’s “superweapons” in his lone overtime drive; Deebo dropped a pass that could have won it all, Brandon Ayuik jumped the snap and drew a penalty flag… his weapons lost the game for him.

People here are going to interpret what I’m saying as “you don’t need weapons” and that’s not what I’m saying at all. But one superweapon WR who is overpaid and acts like a diva is more negative than a positive… ask the Bills, Diggs has been a pain in their rear and they have zero rings to show for it.

Gronk got hurt in 2016 and the Pat’s still won a ring, he was playing with a hematoma in his thigh in 2018 and could barely run. The Eagles won a year later with no single superweapon, Zach Ertz was their leading receiver.

San Francisco just lost to a team with no #1 WR, and while many here wanted to give Mahomes all the credit despite his offense not generating a single scoring drive in regulation… it was KC’s special teams and defense that won the game.

Purdy’s “superweapons” in his lone overtime drive; Deebo dropped a pass that could have won it all, Brandon Ayuik jumped the snap and drew a penalty flag… his weapons lost the game for him.

People here are going to interpret what I’m saying as “you don’t need weapons” and that’s not what I’m saying at all. But one superweapon WR who is overpaid and acts like a diva is more negative than a positive… ask the Bills, Diggs has been a pain in their rear and they have zero rings to show for it.
So propose your choice please for the first 3 rounds of the draft or your first pick for our beloved Patriots.

So propose your choice please for the first 3 rounds of the draft or your first pick for our beloved Patriots.
Take either a QB or LT with the first two picks, trade back at three if you think you can get your man a couple spots back.

Then use that extra capital to take the best X WR available with the third pick and take another one or two WR’s later in the draft as well as bringing in some athletic UDFA WR’s as well.

WR’s can be found later in the draft, no need to reach for one early.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back