PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats' FA Class is Straightforward

Henry is solid at pass catching but sucks as a run blocker. Unfortunately, aside from signing Bowers there isn’t and upgrade to be found so they are probably gonna find themselves overpaying again for his services.

Dalton Schultz and Drew Sample are better run blocking TEs than Henry. And they can catch the ball as well.

Colby Parkinson could be someone who is a sleeper kind of signing. He's decent as both a pass blocker and run blocker. He caught 22 of 27 targets..

Hunter is actually a pretty good Pass Blocking TE.
Pharaoh Brown is worse than the other 4 at both Pass Blocking and Run Blocking.

Peppers is already under contract for 2024.
yes, but I think I’d like to see them work out something long term with him. Especially “if”they let Dugger walk. I expect him to be even better next season with the rest of the defense returning, they have the money now so I’d like to see it get done earlier instead of possibly losing him to free agency in 25.

Dalton Schultz and Drew Sample are better run blocking TEs than Henry. And they can catch the ball as well.

Colby Parkinson could be someone who is a sleeper kind of signing. He's decent as both a pass blocker and run blocker. He caught 22 of 27 targets..

Hunter is actually a pretty good Pass Blocking TE.
Pharaoh Brown is worse than the other 4 at both Pass Blocking and Run Blocking.
Forgot about Schultz. He’s been a pretty solid player the last couple of years for Dallas and Houston.

That's just ridiculous. In 2022, they has Isaiah Wynn at RT. Which was a mistake because Wynn wasn't built for it nor was he happy playing there in a contract year.

Trent Brown should have been the starting RT in 2022 and in 2023. Trent Brown NOT being the RT is what cost them in BOTH seasons. Placating Brown is what cost the Pats.

Not using Lowe at LT when he'd been playing there with the Viking while on their PS and during PS partly cost them the 2023 season.
Not coming to an agreement with one of the 6 top RTs that were available while settling for Reiff is what partly cost them the 2023 season.
The Injuries to Reiff and McDermott and the mysterious Illness of Andersons attributed significantly more to the RT issues than your claium of "not accepting that Onwenu should be the starting RT".

But, why bother with reality when we can throw BS out that ignores tons of facts..

OK, I believe that Onwenu is a fine RT. and would srtarted him at RT with Brown at LT. You preferred Wynn at LT and Brown at RT. Your solution was Wynn at LT???????

You believe that Love is SO GOOD at LT.
============
OK, LET's BE CLEAR
What is you recommended plan at OT for 2024?
LT?
RT?
swing or backup LT?
swing or backup RT?

Holy cow. Signing Brown or McGlinchey would mean having $80m guaranteed on your cap for 4 years.

Reiff was the worst OT in the history of the NFL, but the signing of Reiff was an infinitely better outcome than being on the hook for $80m for someone who can't block.

McGlinchey would have been an excellent signing. Where are you getting that the Pats would be on the hook for $80M/4yrs. Neither of them signed that sort of deal.

McGlinchey has 35M guaranteed and 52.5 guaranteed for injury.. That's hardly $20/yr for 4 years. McGlinchey is a whopping 10.5M cap hit in 2025 if they cut him. That's a drop in the bucket compared to the hit the Pats took for Brady..

1704261159110.png

I really like Gonzalez, and think he was too good to pass on. But with the original pick, the Steelers moved up to the PTs spot and took a tackle who is their RT now. Other tackles went in rounds 2and 3 that they passed on. I get the potential of White, they have been hurting for a tackle for a while
If we want to revisit the White pick, we'll have to see how Cody Mauch and Tyler Steen are doing (the tackles that went after him). I know that the rookie guard O'Torrence (some thought he was the best G in the draft) has had a really rough season getting Josh Allen routinely killed. But he's only a rookie.

Have not paid any attention to Mauch or Steen so I don't know.

2 years ago when the Patriots were picking 21, 6 OTs were picked by teams in the top 18. At least 2 of those OTs were mocked in the early second round. This speaks to the premium placed on LTs and also the weakness of that draft. Belichick messed up but not trading up to grab one of those LTs. He would have had to give up a 3rd rounder at least, but who would've given up their position to fall back into the land of 2nd half grades? It was clear that the lack of tackles made him trade back.

Orlando Brown has been one of the top 10-15 for OTs for years, and he never misses games. Don’t know what you’re talking about here. He’s a known and very very good player.
Brown is a streaky player at best. He's a better pass blocker than run blocker. But he's still given up 7 sacks, 7 hits and 45 hurries in 1007 snaps this year. Last year, he had 4 sacks, 10 hits, and 44 hurries with 7 penalties in 1324 snaps.

Mike McGlinchey 6 sacks, 8 hits, and 35 hurries in 947 snaps this year, while allowing 6 sacks, 3 hits, and 27 hurries on 1210 snaps in 2022.

By comparison, Trent Brown has allowed 3 sacks, 6 hits and 8 hurries (in 579 snaps) in 2023 and 8 sacks, 8 hits, and 23 hurries in 1030 snaps in 2022

Orlando Brown isn't a top 10-15 OT. He's more like a 15-20 OT. He's got durability going for him. As does McGlinchey. McGlinchey would have been a better fit on the Pats with keeping Trent at LT.

Yes, I would have given McGlinchey 5/90 in a heart beat. Especially where we were looking at not having Comp picks this year. I'd have signed him over Reiff and McDermott. They could have easily structured the contract the same way that Denver did while giving him more money over 3 years.

OnWenu is our saving grace at RT we just need a LT either in FA or the Draft our Interior is pretty set Sow - Mafi and that Strange guy should all improve. My hope is BB is not Drafting or Spending our FA $$$$$.

Onwenu is not a RT. He's a RG playing RT. The fact that his barely adequate is better than McDermott or Lowe isn't saying much.
And despite the claims by PFF, Onwenu gave up a sack against the Bills. He also gave up several hurries which they ignored. Same happened against the Giants.

They could do what the 49ers did and trade for a LT. perhaps Smoth from the Cowboys if the Cowboys think they have his replacement.
Tyron Smith is too injury prone. He's not played a full season the last 8 years. Not to mention that he's 33.

And who protects the Young Franchise QB?? Get that BB steng off its' a new NFL age.
Why are you assuming there is going to be a young Franchise QB next year? When they don't have the OTs to protect him.

I really like Gonzalez, and think he was too good to pass on. But with the original pick, the Steelers moved up to the PTs spot and took a tackle who is their RT now. Other tackles went in rounds 2and 3 that they passed on. I get the potential of White, they have been hurting for a tackle for a while

Jones has allowed 3 sacks, 3 hits, and 16 hurries on 575 snaps at RT. He's only started 10 games for them. That was their first game against Baltimore this year and it was at LT. The other 9 starts have been at RT.

Onwenu is NOT a Franchise RT. He's a RG where he played like an All-Pro. Not like a JAG the way he has at RT.
OK, I'll play.

Who are the best RT's available in free agency, in the various rounds of the draft?

Can we get a potential starter in the late first or in the second round?

What is your best plan for OT's in 2024?

This really highlights how poor the player personnel management has been the last few years. Going into an off season with 0 OTs under contract is insane. And to spend our first 3 picks on defense and to make no effort to even draft a developmental OT is equally insane. As such, the likely need to pay Onwenu. I don’t think they will need to franchise him, but they might have to because mismanagement has really put the team in a bind.
Where do you get that they have ZERO OTs under contract for 2024?
The person claiming that previously couldn't be bothered with actual facts.

They have Anderson, Lowe, and McDermott all under contract for 2024. Sidy Sow as well, though he's likely to stay inside unless they go back to that. Tyrone Wheatley, Jr is an ERFA. So he's there for cheap if the Pats want. So is Steuber, whom the Pats brought up for the Bills game. Yes, there are issues with all 3 of them. Anderson and McDermott have injury issues. Lowe was put at RT where he hadn't played since 2017. He had his best game as a Patriot against Buffalo. A marked improvement over the Miami game he started at LT.

They need bookend tackles in the draft. Been saying it for months. They need someone who can be the starting LT immediately. They need someone who can start at RT, but also play LT if there is an injury. This person doesn't need to start right away.

I think that LOWE will be OK as the Reserve LT/Emergency Starter. I have no idea what Anderson will bring. McDermott well, he's best as an emergency snaps guy off the PS.

According to PFF, Anderson allowed 2 sacks in his 12 starts over 3 seasons in Denver. When not battling career-threatening illness, that seems like a perfectly adequate #3 tackle. He wasn’t getting paid to be a clear starter.

Sow played tackle early in his college career and has tackle measurables. He played tackle in the NFLPA bowl before the draft. Seems silly to rule him out, especially when we’re talking about a developmental prospect.

There was obviously a plan. You don’t like it. That doesn’t mean it didn’t exist.

Pretty sure that the plan went out the window when Anderson was hit with that life-threatening illness that kept him out until the end of Camp and then having McDermott and Reiff both go down in Camp either. All 3 of them going down sent the Pats scrambling. I think the intent was to have Sow and Jake Andrews be the 52 & 53 players, developing them as OG/RT and OG/OC.

Being forced to play 5 different RTs AGAIN definitely didn't help the team.. The injuries there hurt the team worse than the injuries at CB.

They have Anderson, Lowe, and McDermott all under contract for 2024. Sidy Sow as well, though he's likely to stay inside unless they go back to that. Tyrone Wheatley, Jr is an ERFA. So he's there for cheap if the Pats want. So is Steuber, whom the Pats brought up for the Bills game. Yes, there are issues with all 3 of them. Anderson and McDermott have injury issues. Lowe was put at RT where he hadn't played since 2017. He had his best game as a Patriot against Buffalo. A marked improvement over the Miami game he started at LT.

They need bookend tackles in the draft. Been saying it for months. They need someone who can be the starting LT immediately. They need someone who can start at RT, but also play LT if there is an injury. This person doesn't need to start right away.

I think that LOWE will be OK as the Reserve LT/Emergency Starter. I have no idea what Anderson will bring. McDermott well, he's best as an emergency snaps guy off the PS.
So, we have emergency LT starter position covered for 2024 with Lowe? Do I understand you correctly?

We need bookend starters and a backup RT. Do I have that right? I suppose the hope was that Sow could be that backup RT.

I should say zero starter quality tackles. None of those three are. I can’t imagine anyone wants to go forward with any of them as starters. Sow was used almost entirely as a guard in college and in a run heavy offense. It can happen, but run oriented college guards don’t usually good pass blocking tackles in the pros. Overall terrible player management having no starting tackles under contract on top of all of the other hole on offense.

So, we have emergency LT starter position covered for 2024 with Lowe? Do I understand you correctly?

We need bookend starters and a backup RT. Do I have that right? I suppose the hope was that Sow could be that backup RT.

MG - Despite being around here for 17+ years, you still can't be bothered to read what people say without insisting on putting your ridiculous spin on it after the fact.

As is typical, you've made assumptions that no one with a modicum of Football knowledge would make. You're almost to the point of Captain Stone nonsense.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back