PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Battle plan

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
I really wanted Christian Wilkins, but at least the Dolphins lost him. They took some big hits today, ha ha ha ha.

Overall I’m giving Wolf an A for the day. Got rid of Mac, signed Brissett, brought in Gibson and Takitaki, cut Parker, brought back Bourne, and re-signed Onwenu. Smart moves that leave them with plenty to spare while the well dries up for other teams. They could rebuild the middle class of this team completely in one offseason, which allows them to focus on difference makers in the Draft, as well as all of next offseason. So far Wolf is showing himself to be more than up to the job of running this franchise. It’s will be interesting to see if he can make the most of the rest of free agency, and the cap cuts coming in the next two days, as teams like the Vhargers scramble to get under the cap by Wednesday at 4 pm.

Overall I’m giving Wolf an A for the day. Got rid of Mac, signed Brissett, brought in Gibson and Takitaki, cut Parker, brought back Bourne, and re-signed Onwenu. Smart moves that leave them with plenty to spare while the well dries up for other teams. They could rebuild the middle class of this team completely in one offseason, which allows them to focus on difference makers in the Draft, as well as all of next offseason. So far Wolf is showing himself to be more than up to the job of running this franchise. It’s will be interesting to see if he can make the most of the rest of free agency, and the cap cuts coming in the next two days, as teams like the Vhargers scramble to get under the cap by Wednesday at 4 pm.
Agree, reading the older threads is funny after what Wolf has done.

Agree again. The big fear for me would be a QB who doesn’t work out and we’re back to square one in 3 years.

Maye, JJ, Daniels, Penix, Nix, even Williams…is there a really good gamble there?

My guess would be Maye. I hear the Hype on JJ, but fast risers scare me.
Guys that ran a college style offense (Maye) scare me a lot more than guys that ran a pro style offense in college (JJ).
The good news is that I’ve read the AVP is pretty great at finding the traits for good QBs.

Outside of Gibson, they did what they had to do. Satisfying, yes, not bowled over.

I loved it. I wanted some of the difference makers, like Christian Wilkins, but overall I thought they did a really good job, and I think they laid the foundation to make many more moves that would really benefit them, as cap cuts are coming, and the list of quality players. is actually really strong. I’m not sure where they are cap wide today, but I think they still have around 50 million, and they can do a lot of work with the middle class of players with that cash.

This is starting to look like a decent if underwhelming start to the rebuilding of the offense. But I won't call it a success until I see a quality signing of a DL (DHunter comes to mind) and some S and CB additions. The only one I question is the Brissette signing. I would have rather signed Minchew or Darnold for less. Much more upside.

Brissette will be an excellent mentor and back up, but he's NOT a long term starter in this league even if its just for a year.

BTW - anyone have a guess of how much is left from the $100MM in space we have after day 1?

@patfanken you lost me @ Big for nothing Parker being solid love the rest of the plan.
Reaction GIF by Bounce

You said "We have a clear #1 in Ridley and a solid guy in Parker with size on the other side. Douglas, who was probably our best WR last season should make a leap.

@patfanken That was way off no disrespect.

Outside of Gibson, they did what they had to do. Satisfying, yes, not bowled over.
Doing what they HAD to do is relatively new for the team.

If the Patriots are in a bidding war with the Jags they should pack it in. Signing a guy who wants to play somewhere else is a waste of their time and money. If Ridley wanted to play here he would have already signed the deal, if he’s still waiting for the Jags then he wants to stay in Jacksonville, they should recognize that and go after other players they could spend that $$$ on.

This is starting to look like a decent if underwhelming start to the rebuilding of the offense. But I won't call it a success until I see a quality signing of a DL (DHunter comes to mind) and some S and CB additions. The only one I question is the Brissette signing. I would have rather signed Minchew or Darnold for less. Much more upside.

Brissette will be an excellent mentor and back up, but he's NOT a long term starter in this league even if its just for a year.

BTW - anyone have a guess of how much is left from the $100MM in space we have after day 1?

I have been wondering what they have left as well, but I’m sure Miguel has better things to do than minute to minute updates for us. He’s fast enough as it is. I’m guessing it’s around 50 million, but we don’t know for certain until he weighs in with the real number. The Chiefs reportedly had a little over 3 million in cap space last week, and they signed Chris Jones the next day to a big deal, so 50 million can go a long long way.

I think Brissett’s willingness and abilities as a leader and mentor were the biggest factors in his signings, as well as his familiarity with Van Pelt and his offense. I liked Minshew as well, but he got 25 million for 2 years, and I had zero interest in Darnold, who is likely wanting to get back to a starting job, and far less likely to be helpful to the rookie. I’m surprised Tannehill got no interest, he was a good QB just a couple of years ago,

I have been wondering what they have left as well, but I’m sure Miguel has better things to do than minute to minute updates for us. He’s fast enough as it is. I’m guessing it’s around 50 million, but we don’t know for certain until he weighs in with the real number. The Chiefs reportedly had a little over 3 million in cap space last week, and they signed Chris Jones the next day to a big deal, so 50 million can go a long long way.
Chiefs are riding this run like we did from 14-19. The Cap might be going up, but not enough to absorb big BACKLOADED contracts like his. BUUUUUUTTTTT, that being said, Jones is the literal definition of an impactful player who deserves every penny.

One question for Miguel though. I wonder just what percentage of their cap Mahomes, Jones, Kelce, and Tuney make up this year, AND how much that number will expand over the next 3 years. They are going to have to be VERY lucky with injuries because it will be hard to overcome them with such a top heavy cap situation.

One of keys to the Pats 20 year run of excellence was they were able to keep a strong "middle class" of quality players to succeed in the War of Attrition that is an NFL season. And we have born witness to what happens to a roster when the bill finally comes due like it did for us in 2020. I don't blame them a bit, its the right thing to do, they will ride this until the wheels come off and they should

If the Patriots are in a bidding war with the Jags they should pack it in. Signing a guy who wants to play somewhere else is a waste of their time and money. If Ridley wanted to play here he would have already signed the deal, if he’s still waiting for the Jags then he wants to stay in Jacksonville, they should recognize that and go after other players they could spend that $$$ on.
Sometimes you have to be persistent. :)

Chiefs are riding this run like we did from 14-19. The Cap might be going up, but not enough to absorb big BACKLOADED contracts like his. BUUUUUUTTTTT, that being said, Jones is the literal definition of an impactful player who deserves every penny.

One question for Miguel though. I wonder just what percentage of their cap Mahomes, Jones, Kelce, and Tuney make up this year, AND how much that number will expand over the next 3 years. They are going to have to be VERY lucky with injuries because it will be hard to overcome them with such a top heavy cap situation.

One of keys to the Pats 20 year run of excellence was they were able to keep a strong "middle class" of quality players to succeed in the War of Attrition that is an NFL season. And we have born witness to what happens to a roster when the bill finally comes due like it did for us in 2020. I don't blame them a bit, its the right thing to do, they will ride this until the wheels come off and they should

Agree completely Ken. The Chiefs are in the situation the Patriots were in where their free agents are prized around the league, and tough to keep, but so far they have handled the situation really well. Making moves like the Hill trade are critical to continuing their success, it was risky but they moved him for a big return, instead of waiting and losing him for nothing. And Mahomes, like Brady, has shown he can win with whatever you give him to work with.

Sometimes you have to be persistent. :)

I think you are missing my point PF2, I don’t like the idea of giving big money to a player who wants to play for another team, and that’s clearly the case here. If you are going to give out a big contract you want that player to be all in, not wishing he was somewhere else.

I think you are missing my point PF2, I don’t like the idea of giving big money to a player who wants to play for another team, and that’s clearly the case here. If you are going to give out a big contract you want that player to be all in, not wishing he was somewhere else.
Ivan our GM knows how Paltry we are at the WR position and need help can't knock him for trying. We just ate a dead money for Parker we have to keep Juju for at least a year we ain't getting what we paid for and Thornton God only knows.

Ivan our GM knows how Paltry we are at the WR position and need help can't knock him for trying. We just ate a dead money for Parker we have to keep Juju for at least a year we ain't getting what we paid for and Thornton God only knows.

PF2, I realize all of that, and I don’t blame Wolf for trying, but when it becomes obvious he doesn’t want to come here I think he should move on and spend that $$$ on a different option.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back