PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How To Blow the 2024 Draft

Hmmm. I will try again. So tough but I like debates alot. Try to follow. How did Brady win in Tampa so quickly? Brady leaves New England. Brady builds his team. He gets, Rob Gronk, Antonio Brown and Leonard Fournette and guess what? He BUILT his Super bowl team FIRST! How you ask? With Top Rated talent First! Why people can't comprehend this concept baffles me? Do we have to be the Jets, Bills and Miami for the next century?
Brady is the GOAT. Without him, Tampa Bay goes nowhere. Again, Tampa Bay wins jack squat without a franchise QB. Without Tom, Tampa doesn't even make the SB, even with all that talent around some average QB. And you've proven my point in another way: elite QBs attract elite talent in free agency. We saw that with Tom in Foxboro, and we saw it in TB. That doesn't happen without the QB in house already. The QB is the key, and when you have a shot at a franchise QB, you take it. You never know when your next one may come. It could be a decade later, a decade of being a decent team but never getting over the hump to be a championship team.

But, you are now acting arrogant and condescending. I don't engage with rude people. I don't mind disagreements, but I do expect manners and good form. I'm done. I won't read your reply.

Brady is the GOAT. Without him, Tampa Bay goes nowhere. Again, Tampa Bay wins jack squat without a franchise QB. Without Tom, Tampa doesn't even make the SB, even with all that talent around some average QB. And you've proven my point in another way: elite QBs attract elite talent in free agency. We saw that with Tom in Foxboro, and we saw it in TB. That doesn't happen without the QB in house already. The QB is the key, and when you have a shot at a franchise QB, you take it. You never know when your next one may come. It could be a decade later, a decade of being a decent team but never getting over the hump to be a championship team.

But, you are now acting arrogant and condescending. I don't engage with rude people. I don't mind disagreements, but I do expect manners and good form. I'm done. I won't read your reply.

QUARTER​

KCTB
Kansas City Chiefs
FG
5:10
Harrison Butker 49 Yd Field Goal
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
TD
0:37
Rob Gronkowski 8 Yd pass from Tom Brady (Ryan Succop Kick)

2ND QUARTER​

KCTB
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
TD
6:05
Rob Gronkowski 17 Yd pass from Tom Brady (Ryan Succop Kick)
Kansas City Chiefs
FG
1:01
Harrison Butker 34 Yd Field Goal
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
TD
0:06
Antonio Brown 1 Yd pass from Tom Brady (Ryan Succop Kick)

3RD QUARTER​

KCTB
Kansas City Chiefs
FG
11:26
Harrison Butker 52 Yd Field Goal
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
TD
7:45
Leonard Fournette 27 Yd Run (Ryan Succop Kick)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
FG
2:46
Ryan Succop 52 Yd Field Goal

Full Play-By-Play.
Qb is nothing without great recievers. As Gisele would say you can't throw and catch as a qb.

Last edited:
The draft is already blown thanks to a pathetic FA period. By failing to secure a decent, starting caliber QB on the FA market the Patriots now almost have to gamble on QB at #3. By failing to secure some decent WRs and OLs, the Patriots have to somehow get some bluechip WRs and OLs in the draft after possibly wasting the pick at #3 on a QB. If they do not, their shiny, new QB will be runnig for his life and have no one to throw to. The offseason has been a disaster that cannot be fixed by the draft unless they pull of some sort of miracle. BTW, they also let Pharoah Brown go and Malik Cunningham go; I know you guys don't care about them, but it further weakend a weak team.
I'm curious; exactly what free agent starting caliber quarterback should the Patriots have signed?

Kirk Cousins, who will turn 36 in training camp and is coming off a torn Achiles - who signed for four years at a price of $180 million?

The unexpectedly large cap increase helped good teams who were in a tough cap situation, while hurting teams in the opposite situation. Signing a Calvin Ridley to a $92 million deal would not have been a smart long term move.

Pharoah Brown is a career jag; Austin Hooper is an upgrade.

Malik Cunningham is held in such high regard around the league he was not drafted until the third round - in the USFL!. He was undrafted and has yet to throw an NFL pass. The 2024 QB room will be rookie-Brissett-Rourke/Zappe/new guy. Cunningham's departure is insignificant.

The big bucks signings are for teams that are convinced they are one or two players away from competing for the Super Bowl. The 2024 Patriots were never going to be in that situation. The cupboard was completely bare.

How To Blow the 2024 Draft​

Trading down and taking a QB in the first 22 picks.

If we draft JJ McCarthy #3, the draft will be in a nose dive & hopefully many fans will reject the Kraft selections to run this organization after Belichick
Self harm is real.

Stop the over thinking and offer a 4th for Trey Lance

Hmmm. I will try again. So tough but I like debates alot. Try to follow. How did Brady win in Tampa so quickly? Brady leaves New England. Brady builds his team. He gets, Rob Gronk, Antonio Brown and Leonard Fournette and guess what? He BUILT his Super bowl team FIRST! How you ask? With Top Rated talent First! Why people can't comprehend this concept baffles me? Do we have to be the Jets, Bills and Miami for the next century?
You're comparing apples to oranges.

Tampa Bay already had a good team in place; now add Brady, and the team is an attractive destination for free agents wanting a chance to win the Super Bowl. They already had Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Vita Vea, JPP, Devin White, Lavonte David, Shaq Barrett, etc. The biggest thing holding them back was the decision making of Jameis Winston, resulting in 30 picks. Upgrading to Brady (or any competent QB) instantly turned them into a Super Bowl contender.

The 2024 Patriots have neither an elite QB nor a stellar surrounding cast. The ability to attract those same free agents changes immensely.

The 2020 Tampa Bay Bucs were at a point in their trajectory in a win-now mode.
The 2024 Patriots are at the opposite end of the spectrum, starting a multi-year rebuild with a new regime.

Of course fans enjoy it when their team has a chance of winning every year, that's an irrelevant straw man.
I get it that fans are impatient and want to win right now, but the reality is that a one-year rebuild is not possible - unless by 'a chance at winning' you want a team that is constantly hovering between 6-10 wins and never being a serious SB contender.

That's why a trade back could be a good option.
I agree 100%… but that then I honestly think is saying “we are too scared to make a mistake “…Pats front office is going to have to be aggressive in order to get back to the playoffs. Even though many complained many many times, too many to count, Belichick took chances on players during the draft because for years the TEAM had leaders at a lot of positions. I’m thinking if this Pats front office have their guy… even if it means trade up.. they have to go get him. Until these guys get drafted and go to camp and figure out who’s starting and who’s sitting, they all just names on a board.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Tampa Bay already had a good team in place; now add Brady, and the team is an attractive destination for free agents wanting a chance to win the Super Bowl. They already had Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Vita Vea, JPP, Devin White, Lavonte David, Shaq Barrett, etc. The biggest thing holding them back was the decision making of Jameis Winston, resulting in 30 picks. Upgrading to Brady (or any competent QB) instantly turned them into a Super Bowl contender.

The 2024 Patriots have neither an elite QB nor a stellar surrounding cast. The ability to attract those same free agents changes immensely.

The 2020 Tampa Bay Bucs were at a point in their trajectory in a win-now mode.
The 2024 Patriots are at the opposite end of the spectrum, starting a multi-year rebuild with a new regime.

Of course fans enjoy it when their team has a chance of winning every year, that's an irrelevant straw man.
I get it that fans are impatient and want to win right now, but the reality is that a one-year rebuild is not possible - unless by 'a chance at winning' you want a team that is constantly hovering between 6-10 wins and never being a serious SB contender.
Just look at the Superbowl stat sheet for Tampa that year. Gronk, 2 tds, Antonio Brown 1td and Furnette 1 td. All players Brady picked. Why, dogs, his dogs. My point is, i.m.o, great players makes a great qb also. Brady trusted a few, they had to earn his respect. Brady even said Gronk against anybody and he's throwing it.

Early in our rebirth of the Patriots it was the Belichick defense that was special and Brady was a no mistake qb. Remember Brady made himself the best, (he wasn't picked to be the best). Did the fans of New England throw away the template this year? Why wouldn't you follow it again. Early GM Bill and staff was good and Parcells left some talent. We are without both now. Facts...

So, we did not aquire the highest level FA talent on offense. Wiff. We want to insert a Top Ranked qb onto this team now? #1 priority this year. Has to be done, franchise qb or complete bust forever. There will never be a greater opportunity? No. I disagree. 2021 draft has left a scar. Bad 3 years. To much weight into 1 position. Our circumstances are acute. Look at WR and TE roster right now. The NFL has many truths being shed on this team. Will we follow the Bills, Miami and Jets history or forge our own. Are we scared? Coach Bill wasn't, he never followed the trend...BCE. Best coach ever.

By failing to secure a decent, starting caliber QB on the FA market the Patriots now almost have to gamble on QB at #3.
I think you’re wrong. We do indeed have a legit QB in Jacoby Brissett .

OTs look like we don’t. Who’s our LT? And our RT is our RG who wants to play guard.

Day two OTs in this draft— big drop off.

The team if smart trades out of three. Like with Minnesota. Take the top LT at 11. Then picks 23 and 34 to plug more holes.

I think you’re wrong. We do indeed have a legit QB in Jacoby Brissett .

OTs look like we don’t. Who’s our LT? And our RT is our RG who wants to play guard.

Day two OTs in this draft— big drop off.

The team if smart trades out of three. Like with Minnesota. Take the top LT at 11. Then picks 23 and 34 to plug more holes.

I agree! There is a big dropoff in talent after round 2, so the Patriots need to accumulate picks here. It makes sense to trade back and collect blue chips to fill the holes in the WR and OL corps.

Drafting a big name QB at 3 could be a disaster if he has no one to throw to and is running for his life behind a turnstile OL. This is what dodgy teams do (with owners making the first pick) and assures that they remain in the basement.

Note: In the interest of full disclosure, I have to confess that my obsession with trading down is for this selfish reason: If the Patriots trade down, the first couple of rounds of the draft and training camp will be way more interesting/exciting. If they don't trade down, we end up with a boring draft and a QB that probably has to sit for a year. And we can turn off the tube at about 8:30 on Thursday night.

Well...Tom Brady was even slower, had much less arm strength, and his teams did not go undefeated..... hell..he didn't even start every game either....

Just sayin'...... (holds hands up)
You know for a guy who didnt play in College, Brady had a 20-5 record and won 2 bowl games, it must have been a lot different then. There are Qb's now that play like 1 year.

Note: In the interest of full disclosure, I have to confess that my obsession with trading down is for this selfish reason: If the Patriots trade down, the first couple of rounds of the draft and training camp will be way more interesting/exciting. If they don't trade down, we end up with a boring draft and a QB that probably has to sit for a year. And we can turn off the tube at about 8:30 on Thursday night.
I agree, personally I believe the team wants McCarthy wethere they actually do it is another thing. I don't believe Daniel's will be there at 3.. so it's probably McCarthy or Maye. ?

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back