PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running back

varjao

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Much has been said about the current state of QB, WR, OL left by BB, and to a lesser extent TE.

I'm not reading a lot about RB. That was always a position BB didn't spend high capital and I agree with that approach, but there was always viable options in place.

Stevenson regressed in 2023 and Zeke, although he put in an effort, is not the same from his prime.

That's our rushing stats from 2023:

Name - Yards:
----------------------------
Zeke - 642 (3 TDs)
Rham - 619 (4 TDs)
Mac Jones - 96
Zappe - 83
Kevin Harris - 65
T. Thornton - 51
D. Douglas - 41
Reagor - 17
Ty Montgomery - 9
K. Bourne - 4

That's pretty bad.

Teams in the final 4 all had good RB's:
49ers - McCaffrey
Lions - Montgomery, Gibbs
Chiefs - Pacheco
Ravens - Jackson

Much has been said about the current state of QB, WR, OL left by BB, and to a lesser extent TE.

I'm not reading a lot about RB. That was always a position BB didn't spend high capital and I agree with that approach, but there was always viable options in place.

Stevenson regressed in 2023 and Zeke, although he put in an effort, is not the same from his prime.

Name - Yards:
Zeke - 642 (3 TDs)
Rham - 619 (4 TDs)
Mac Jones - 96
Zappe - 83
Kevin Harris - 65
T. Thornton - 51
D. Douglas - 41
Reagor - 17
Ty Montgomery - 9
K. Bourne - 4

That's pretty bad.

49ers - McCaffrey
Chiefs - Pacheco
Ravens - Jackson
Rham was hurt most of the season. I wouldn't call that a regression, per se.

Rhamondre looked like he was dealing with something early in the season, then started to improve - then got hurt.

Zeke actually looked very good to me - but once Rhamondre got hurt and he became the default "lead back", he wore down some, which should be expected.

Harris showed flashes, and I think there might be something there, but reserving judgment.

I think the most important thing for this team is a good 3rd down/receiving back. Rhamondre and Harris might be enough otherwise. Austin Ekeler is a free agent, I wonder what his price tag is.

Its important to point out:

Games played:
Rhamondre Stevenson 12 ( 619 rushing, 4.0 ypc, 38/51 receptions, 238 yards receiving, 857 yfs )
Kevin Harris, 4 games
Zeke, 17 games, 5 starts - was in limited use until Rham was hurt...

that context is important...

You want to add a back, no problem with that... but its not like Rham is chopped liver...

Name - Yards:
Zeke - 642 (3 TDs)
Rham - 619 (4 TDs)
Mac Jones - 96
Zappe - 83
Kevin Harris - 65
T. Thornton - 51
D. Douglas - 41
Reagor - 17
Ty Montgomery - 9
K. Bourne - 4

That's pretty bad.

49ers - McCaffrey
Chiefs - Pacheco
Ravens - Jackson
Good thing RB's are not hard to find in the Draft or FA. I would like us to find a Third Down RB who's ready to play.

Name - Yards:
Zeke - 642 (3 TDs)
Rham - 619 (4 TDs)
Mac Jones - 96
Zappe - 83
Kevin Harris - 65
T. Thornton - 51
D. Douglas - 41
Reagor - 17
Ty Montgomery - 9
K. Bourne - 4

That's pretty bad.

49ers - McCaffrey
Chiefs - Pacheco
Ravens - Jackson
I would love Austin Ekeler in FA. We gave up on P Strong way too early he could probably be a player this year.

Draft. They should really be drafting a RB in the mid to late rounds every year and never giving any of them a second contract unless they're mainly a passing back since that market is generally pretty reasonable. You sign veteran plodders like Zeke you know what you're getting. A C+ level RB who will be solid but no real upside. You draft a kid he may flame out or he may be a great RB for 2-3 years but if he flames out you should have another couple on the roster from other drafts and at least one of them should be serviceable.

I’m coming around to the idea of trading down a few spots or so to pick up another early second and more. Then taking a franchise left tackle early in the first and right tackle early in the second. That alone should make our running backs look better.

I’m coming around to the idea of trading down a few spots or so to pick up another early second and more. Then taking a franchise left tackle early in the first and right tackle early in the second. That alone should make our running backs look better.
Give Me A Break Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Yep because we have WR's who scare people is BB still here?? :mad:

I agree they need to draft a RB. A mid-rounder like Clemson's Will Shipley should look nice. Kevin Harris might be coming around to help as well. And then of course they need a pass catching back.

A lot has been said about Rham's injuries this season, but if you look at the 5 games when we had both a healthy Rham and a Zeke, and most importantly a healthy offensive line with Onwenu at RT, Sow at RG and Strange at LG, they ran the ball really really well. Go look at those 5 games (in a row). They were opening huge holes.

I agree they need to draft a RB. A mid-rounder like Clemson's Will Shipley should look nice. Kevin Harris might be coming around to help as well. And then of course they need a pass catching back.

A lot has been said about Rham's injuries this season, but if you look at the 5 games when we had both a healthy Rham and a Zeke, and most importantly a healthy offensive line with Onwenu at RT, Sow at RG and Strange at LG, they ran the ball really really well. Go look at those 5 games (in a row). They were opening huge holes.
popped up in here to drip Shipley’s name. Big regression this past season so he should be had for cheap. Either way, if we can improve the OL then we can drop just about anyone back there and get respectable numbers.

Agree on the forgotten RB situation.

Rham is good - but can't last a season. He should get 1 more year to see if he can get over the hump.
Zeke should be let go - he was okay, but very replaceable with a younger guy...
Harris can easily replace Zeke as the #2
Sign or Draft a true 3rd Down Back - that's our priority at RB. Find a Gibbs in the mid rounds (if it was so easy...)

If you can't pass it's a lot harder to run, opponents can stack the box and dare Mac to beat them. Rhamondre got hammered because there were no running lanes. I loved our tandem last year of Rham and Zeke, didn't love the results but it wasn't the RB personnel. They should do it again this year, bring Zeke or another value vet back. They also have Kevin Harris who looked great at the end of the year.

Don't pay RB's, there are too many good ones and there's always good ones available in free agent. If there's ever a position to go cheap on it's RB.

Name - Yards:
Zeke - 642 (3 TDs)
Rham - 619 (4 TDs)
Mac Jones - 96
Zappe - 83
Kevin Harris - 65
T. Thornton - 51
D. Douglas - 41
Reagor - 17
Ty Montgomery - 9
K. Bourne - 4

That's pretty bad.

49ers - McCaffrey
Chiefs - Pacheco
Ravens - Jackson
The key to lower than expected performance is the incompetence of thee 2024 OL.

Draft RB at 3t
i dig it... who's starting in the Rutgers backfield? Can't place their name right now...Georgia would work too

lol, i kid i kid... i want the guy from Montclair State U...

1.) We have Rham. He is a top 10 RB when healthy.

2.) Kevin Harris can do the short down stuff for sure.

3.) I'd love to have EE return too. Thought he played well last year...and most importantly.....he doesn't FUMBLE!

4.) There are a plethora of options in free agency including Ekeler, Henry, Barkley, Swift, Jacobs, Pollard, and/or Singletary. Not to mention the draft as well many options in rounds 2-4.

Not worried about it one bit. Far far more worried about the OL...or lack thereof....

Its important to point out:

Games played:
Rhamondre Stevenson 12 ( 619 rushing, 4.0 ypc, 38/51 receptions, 238 yards receiving, 857 yfs )
Kevin Harris, 4 games
Zeke, 17 games, 5 starts - was in limited use until Rham was hurt...

that context is important...

You want to add a back, no problem with that... but its not like Rham is chopped liver...
The DNA of this offense was always a 3rd down back/ receiving back. Slot WR. Absolutely agreed..Rham was dealing with a ankle issue into training camp, and during the season. Guys a beast I'll take Rham anyday.

It's worth discussing as we should really be targeting a receiving back ala James White, Faulk, Vereen. Those guys were critical to our offense for years. I'm not down on Stevenson though.

It's worth discussing as we should really be targeting a receiving back ala James White, Faulk, Vereen. Those guys were critical to our offense for years. I'm not down on Stevenson though.
The kid from UNH Dylan Laube (I think that is the spelling) if he shows he can be decent at blitz pick up has been showing out at the senior bowl and some people say is the beach reciver out of the backfield. That is the type of 3rd/PR we need and can probably be had in 5th round. I do not see a reason to spend money on a new FA if we get zeke back

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back