PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick's skill position moves since 2018

I wouldn't say 2019 was a BB failure. He tried with the weapons they just didn't pan out. I still firmly believe with Edelman/AB the Pats are in the Superbowl again
Picking low, spending to the cap, keeping the core and losing picks finally caught up to them in 2019. Thats why 2020 was a cap reset year.

The only real personnel screw up was not finding a TE who could catch the ball. Even 50% of a 2018 Gronk might have got them past TN

They'll be close to $100m in cap space in 2023. They will absolutely be able to afford Meyers.

The real question is will they compete for him in the open market.

The odds of Nixon performing at Meyer's level are slim to none.

No need. See above
I think I saw it was 55 million. How is it 100?

I think I saw it was 55 million. How is it 100?
Thats the space ($52.5m) before cuts and restructures.

Cap is going to be $220m.

Take a look at this and you can shave off/restructure/do extensions and find another $50m

we also have quit a few holes to fill in
starters:
WR
LT
RT
FS
CB
eventually DT/DE
Tackles yes. We need a top WR but we won't be drafting one.

Surprised you didn't mention LB, that's what we really need. We're pretty much full in the D-backfield. Judon and Wise are the starters at DE for the forseeable future. Barmore, Godchaux, Guy at DT. These are not big needs. We're pretty stocked at this position.

Surprised you didn't mention LB, that's what we really need. We're pretty much full in the D-backfield. Judon and Wise are the starters at DE for the forseeable future. Barmore, Godchaux, Guy at DT. These are not big needs. We're pretty stocked at this position.
Judon is an OLB. They need a MLB, but I doubt that gets addressed.

Thats the space ($52.5m) before cuts and restructures.

Cap is going to be $220m.

Take a look at this and you can shave off/restructure/do extensions and find another $50m

Unless you push it for future years not sure why we want to have 100 million. The only ones I see that have scope for movement or reduction are Bourne, Parker, T brown and to a smaller extent Henry . Maybe if mcCourty retires add void years for another 3 -4 years .

Unless you push it for future years not sure why we want to have 100 million. The only ones I see that have scope for movement or reduction are Bourne, Parker, T brown and to a smaller extent Henry . Maybe if mcCourty retires add void years for another 3 -4 years .
DMC is gone. HH is a restructure/gone. Brown will not come back at present deal. Bourne is most likely gone. Parker is gone/extended. With the likes of Montgomery, Guy et al there is another $5-$7m.

Judon is an OLB. They need a MLB, but I doubt that gets addressed.
He's on the line.

Call him whatever you will.

We need guys off the LOS who drop back in coverage. We run Tavai and Bentley out there all the time. We need 2 LBs. Huge need.

Our DL is fine with Wise, Barmore, Godchaux and Guy, especially when they all work with Judon as one unit. You rarely if ever see Bentley or Tavai pass rush.

Agree
I am not in love with the top tier wr draft class this year
Surprised you didn't mention LB, that's what we really need
I agree , I don’t have an overview about the position because it feels like we have a dozen of lb not the roster and I don’t know who is signed for next season
Bentley is a lock
Tavai lock
Mcmillan idk
Wilson maybe
What’s up with Perkins?
Uche edge
Jennings edge and LB
— if Wilson and mcmillan go, I would like to sign or draft a top tier lb otherwise we have to many players here
. We're pretty much full in the D-backfield.
Mccourty and Jonathan Jones both starter and free sgents
I would strongly consider drafting a cb first rd if JJ signs elsewhere
Jack Jones Marcus Jones and mister x as starting corner
FS could this be filled by mills?
Judon and Wise are the starters at DE for the forseeable future. Barmore, Godchaux, Guy at DT. These are not big needs. We're pretty stocked at this position.
Guy could be gone soon or upgraded
Could use some depth there

Yes, this is what I said. This year's salaries are high, but they don't have big signing bonuses on the books for future years. In other words, it's just an anomaly. It's mainly Agholor's balloon payment was pushed to this year so he counts for $15m in salary even though his per year is $11m. He's our 2nd highest paid player this year BECAUSE they pushed most of his money to this year. He only counted for $7m last year. So this is just an accounting anomaly.

If you average it, I'm sure we'd be in the middle of the league:

Agholor: $11m
Parker: $6m
Bourne: $5m
Meyers: $4m

That's $26m total

Agreed. Posters compare our peak to other team's average and get confused. Pretty obvious but a lot of people don't think.

Agree
I am not in love with the top tier wr draft class this year
Agreed. Average guys not worth the money. We already have 4 average guys. Let's hope Thornton blossoms. Need a new guy.
I agree , I don’t have an overview about the position because it feels like we have a dozen of lb not the roster and I don’t know who is signed for next season
Bentley is a lock
Tavai lock
Mcmillan idk
Wilson maybe
What’s up with Perkins?
Uche edge
Jennings edge and LB
— if Wilson and mcmillan go, I would like to sign or draft a top tier lb otherwise we have to many players here
McMillan and Wilson are playing better. McGrone and Perkins are red shirted. Uche was looking like a bust but looks great the last few games so maybe McGrone and Perkins will be OK. We could use a dominant LB, but any team could use that - it is not a big need. The Pats know who to sign and who to release. I would like to see another middle LB thumper drafted in the late 3rd or 4th.
Mccourty and Jonathan Jones both starter and free sgents
I would strongly consider drafting a cb first rd if JJ signs elsewhere
Jack Jones Marcus Jones and mister x as starting corner
FS could this be filled by mills?
Mills is slow so as a single highsafety I think not. Mills to FS seems to be a PatsFans made up thing that I doubt, but he could fill in. Doubt Bledsoe as a FS too. I think this is a need.
Guy could be gone soon or upgraded
Could use some depth there
Yes. Guy is older. Solid bottom of the barrel rotational guy now. I would love a DT like Payne in FA. We can sign a player in 2023 FA to help a lot at DT. A DE would be great too.

Overall I say resign JJones, Myers and whoever at LB. In FA sign a DT like Payne and a DE. In the 2023 draft pick a OT, FS, OT (we have Carolinas pick - what a fleece that trade was), and WR.

Last edited:
Agreed. Average guys not worth the money. We already have 4 average guys. Let's hope Thornton blossoms. Need a new guy.
Agree, I would like to see a late rd pick for the wr position maybe 4-6 rd. for a quick slot guy depending on our FA moves at this position
McMillan and Wilson are playing better. McGrone and Perkins are red shirted. Uche was looking like a bust but looks great the last few games so maybe McGrone and Perkins will be OK. We could use a dominant LB, but any team could use that - it is not a big need. The Pats know who to sign and who to release. I would like to see another middle LB thumper drafted in the late 3rd or 4th.
Yup , there are quit a few guys at the LB position only one year here or redshirted where we don’t know exactly what we have so I don’t think there will be a big investment here.
Mills is slow so as a single highsafety I think not. Mills to FS seems to be a PatsFans made up thing that I doubt, but he could fill in. Doubt Bledsoe as a FS too. I think this is a need.
do you think we resign JJ?
I think BB will draft a safety because this is a position where we are drafting solid to good

Yes. Guy is older. Solid bottom of the barrel rotational guy now. I would love a DT like Payne in FA. We can sign a player in 2023 FA to help a lot at DT. A DE would be great too.
I would love Payne or hargrave here
Both would provide immediate pass rush upgrade next to barmore.
Wise-God-Payne-Barmore with Judon as a LB could be a nice front with
Overall I say resign JJones, Myers and whoever at LB. In FA sign a DT like Payne and a DE. In the 2023 draft pick a OT, FS, OT (we have Carolinas pick - what a fleece that trade was), and WR.

He has 7 sacks………
Ok so in 3 years he has been active for 31 of 44 games, has one start. In his entire career he has played 50% or more of defensive snaps in a game 1 time, and it was only exactly 50%.

He has had a nice little run of 4 games where he has compiled 7 of his 11 career sacks. Yes, 11 sacks In 31 games, for a prorated total of about 5.7 sacks for every 16 game season.

And you’re laughing at me for saying I don’t think he’s been good and a waste of a draft pick. This is what we look for in 2nd round picks? Dahahahaha you’re a funny guy. Whatever makes you feel better

And by the way, like I said, I do like him. He flashes really good things, but why can’t he stay on field and produce more while on field

Ok so in 3 years he has been active for 31 of 44 games, has one start. In his entire career he has played 50% or more of defensive snaps in a game 1 time, and it was only exactly 50%.

He has had a nice little run of 4 games where he has compiled 7 of his 11 career sacks. Yes, 11 sacks In 31 games, for a prorated total of about 5.7 sacks for every 16 game season.

And you’re laughing at me for saying I don’t think he’s been good and a waste of a draft pick. This is what we look for in 2nd round picks? Dahahahaha you’re a funny guy. Whatever makes you feel better

And by the way, like I said, I do like him. He flashes really good things, but why can’t he stay on field and produce more while on field

If he ends up with north of 10 sacks no-one cares about his 1st two years. You must have missed his rush on the J Allen strip sack. Elite skills and now he is playing the run too. Great guy. *****ing about his rookie year is weak.

Bentley is a lock
Tavai lock
Mcmillan idk
Wilson maybe
What’s up with Perkins?
Uche edge
Jennings edge and LB

My problem is that not one of these guys can provide depth in the zone. They simply can't get there.

McMillan is the only one who even has the ability but he's been in the league many years. You'd figure it would have happened already.

Sign Tremaine Edmunds, resign Jon Jones, resign Jakobi, drop D Parker, then look to make a move for a top WR.

My problem is that not one of these guys can provide depth in the zone. They simply can't get there.

McMillan is the only one who even has the ability but he's been in the league many years. You'd figure it would have happened already.

Sign Tremaine Edmunds, resign Jon Jones, resign Jakobi, drop D Parker, then look to make a move for a top WR.
I would like to see a fast lb with sideline to sideline speed and coverage ability as well but they are either rare in the draft or really expensive

I wouldn’t resign meyers, actually I would let bourne agholor and meyers go, parker I am not sure because he is new anf delivers despite this low level passing offense for his money

This wr Corp needs a complete overhaul with the biggest priority for speed separation and release packages against press man
I don’t care if they can block, first we need someone to separate more consistent and beat press man, blocking is the least priority on a WR for me because they can’t move the needle anyway if the o-line gets pushed back at the los

Looking at things in a vacuum like the OP did is just ridiculous. Particularly when you outright ignore the disaster the O-line is because of Injuries this year. The Last time the Patriots had to use 4 different tackles at either the LT or RT position was back in 2004 or 2005.. Even Newhouse was only the #3 LT...

When it's come to the mid/late round O-linemen, the Pats have been bitten of late with the exception of Onwenu. Otherwise you have to go back to 2016 and Karras.
They include:
Anthony Garcia - 3rd round pick
Conor McDermott - 6th round pick
Cajuste - 3rd round pick
Frohldt - 4th round pick
Herron - 6th round pick (initially looked good but regressed 2 straight years)
Will Sherman - 6th round pick
Chasen Hines - 6th round pick
Andrew Steuber -7th round pick

And they've had no UDFA O-Linemen develop like they had with Ashworth, Gorin, Neal, and Hochstein.
That has hurt this team more than the "skill players", where they have spent a lot of money

Looking at things in a vacuum like the OP did is just ridiculous. Particularly when you outright ignore the disaster the O-line is because of Injuries this year. The Last time the Patriots had to use 4 different tackles at either the LT or RT position was back in 2004 or 2005.. Even Newhouse was only the #3 LT...

When it's come to the mid/late round O-linemen, the Pats have been bitten of late with the exception of Onwenu. Otherwise you have to go back to 2016 and Karras.
They include:
Anthony Garcia - 3rd round pick
Conor McDermott - 6th round pick
Cajuste - 3rd round pick
Frohldt - 4th round pick
Herron - 6th round pick (initially looked good but regressed 2 straight years)
Will Sherman - 6th round pick
Chasen Hines - 6th round pick
Andrew Steuber -7th round pick

And they've had no UDFA O-Linemen develop like they had with Ashworth, Gorin, Neal, and Hochstein.
That has hurt this team more than the "skill players", where they have spent a lot of money
Just FYI, Froholdt is playing really well this year; he's only played several games as a starter, but he's been pass blocking and opening holes for Chubb when he's in

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back