PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great job on FA day one! Pleased with the front office.

Oh please.. so literally all the capologists and 'experts' that know this 'Formula' were so out of wack hey.. lol. No one expected this huge rise this year. It caught everyone by surprise and killed Free Agency.
Part of the reason for the massive jump is that the league has now paid back all of the player benefits that were deferred in 2020 as part of the agreement between the players and the league to keep the league running during the COVID-19 pandemic. Cap growth is directly tied to the league's revenue growth, but it was limited in 2022 and 2023 because the repayment of those benefits was subtracted from the final calculations. With all of the benefits repaid at this point, the 2024 cap number more closely reflects the increase in revenue.

The NFL said one of the reasons for the sharp increase was "an extraordinary increase in media revenue." Since the league signed new deals with its broadcast partners in 2021, there has been a belief that 2024 and 2025 would be the first years in which the new TV revenue would really have a noticeable impact on league revenue.

Yes, absolutely. It is a baked in calculation, based on revenues. They knew it was coming, because they track revenues. If they cap doesn't go up, it is because the owners' business didn't do well.

I know that, and agree with you. The owners always know exactly what the ratios are because they negotiated them with the union. What I was taking issue with was the idea that there was some kind of conspiracy that magically raised the cap. As well as the insane comment from big bucks that the owners “ just do as they are told.” The number of times the owners have lost a contract negotiation with the players is still -zero.

Harrison looks to be a stud, but there are a decent handful of WRs in this class who have the potential to be top 5 or top 10 WRs in the league. I am not sure that Harrison is all that much better than the next couple of receivers after him. He is better, but is he an extra 1-2 first round draft picks better?

This has been nagging me for a while. As soon as he got called "generational" I got cold feet. That causes beer goggles on evaluation.

There are a few evaluators who are publishing opinions that align with yours - that there are 3-5 top WR in this class and there isn't much separation between them, and they have different skills so would have different values to teams with different needs and systems. And then the next layer of WR's are highly talented as well.

I'd rather cash in on hype and desperation from other less disciplined teams and get more picks, then go with players not quite as popular in the media.

Part of the reason for the massive jump is that the league has now paid back all of the player benefits that were deferred in 2020 as part of the agreement between the players and the league to keep the league running during the COVID-19 pandemic. Cap growth is directly tied to the league's revenue growth, but it was limited in 2022 and 2023 because the repayment of those benefits was subtracted from the final calculations. With all of the benefits repaid at this point, the 2024 cap number more closely reflects the increase in revenue.

The NFL said one of the reasons for the sharp increase was "an extraordinary increase in media revenue." Since the league signed new deals with its broadcast partners in 2021, there has been a belief that 2024 and 2025 would be the first years in which the new TV revenue would really have a noticeable impact on league revenue.

That's useful.
And every owner, and the league executives, had bean counters giving them updates on this at least once a month, as the details took shape.

They'd rather have a year where they pay a massive increase, than a year when they don't.

I agree, it means their revenues went up, but what I was responding to was big bucks idea that it was some hidden conspiracy.

This has been nagging me for a while. As soon as he got called "generational" I got cold feet. That causes beer goggles on evaluation.

There are a few evaluators who are publishing opinions that align with yours - that there are 3-5 top WR in this class and there isn't much separation between them, and they have different skills so would have different values to teams with different needs and systems. And then the next layer of WR's are highly talented as well.

I'd rather cash in on hype and desperation from other less disciplined teams and get more picks, then go with players not quite as popular in the media.

The other thing is that as good as he is he isn’t a big yac guy, and that’s something you expect in a generational WR. I think he’s going to be a very good pro, but putting him in the HOF right now is foolish.

What are people looking at with Brisset?

He has never had a winning season and his play has been erratic.

Dude, it's a 1 year deal for a veteran "tweener." you're not going to get Joe Cool for 1 year 8 mil.

Brissett is a guy you can shove into the starting role and he can stay healthy. that's his entire raison d'etre. We're not winning with Brissett but we're probably not winning without him, and he'll bring stability to the position in the bridge year we're probably gonna have.

It's better than throwing some poor kid to the wolves because we didn't have the players around him to support him when we drafted him. you know, the way we did with Mac Jones.

Dude, it's a 1 year deal for a veteran "tweener." you're not going to get Joe Cool for 1 year 8 mil.

Brissett is a guy you can shove into the starting role and he can stay healthy. that's his entire raison d'etre. We're not winning with Brissett but we're probably not winning without him, and he'll bring stability to the position in the bridge year we're probably gonna have.

It's better than throwing some poor kid to the wolves because we didn't have the players around him to support him when we drafted him. you know, the way we did with Mac Jones.
Anyone getting worked up over this Brissett signing isn't seeing the forrest through the trees. He will probably start a few games early on and will be a good presence in the quarterback room and help the rookie prepare like a pro. Brissett is a guy who can get you around .500, give or take a game if your starter goes down with an injury for a month. He isn't going to lead us to the Super Bowl but that isn't why he was signed.

So far its been treading water. Other than Brisset nothing yet to lift the team out of the bottom 5.
Had hoped for one big splash on offense at position of need like Ridley, Ekler, T Smith

What's so bad with a 4-13 rebuild year? According to many posters here, that's where we are headed. Another top 10 pick is just what this team needs. Right?

Ah yes, “ the Detroit rebuild,” the one that’s been going on for approximately 70 years. That’s the ticket.
You're insulting your own intelligence… you know full well it's about since Dan Campbell

Front office and Mayo had a great day one in free agency.

Resigning Bourne on a solid deal.
Cutting slowmo Parker.
Resigning Onwenu to a solid deal for 3 years.
Signing JB to a year deal for only 8 mil.
Trading noodle arm Jones for a 6th round pick.

Overall the front office has made the right moves.
Now we need that QB to work out in the draft by year two if he is sitting behind JB on year one.
Hoping we also find another solid o-line guy in there early in the draft and maybe a solid WR.
And getting better with solid, affordable veterans in advance of the draft.

Jacoby Brissette in at veteran/backup QB is a solid move and will have a receiving corps that includes TE Austin Hooper, TE Hunter Henry, WRs Bourne, JJSS, Reagor, Demario Douglas, Tyquan Thornton and who knows who else. I also like RB Antonio Gibson paired with Rhamondre out of the backfield.

Lots of veteran cuts coming today with bonuses due, new signings on various teams and need to get their team caps in order. Watch the Atlanta Falcons today - They overpaid for Kirk Cousins - $180M with a $50M signing bonus. They will probably trade some good players for draft picks to restock the cupboard with cheap rookies.

Eliot and his guys will probably continue their focus on solid players in the draft.

So you are asserting that the owners, as business people, don't track revenue as it happens? And don't know the formula they agreed to contractually years ago?

They only people surprised by this were the media, and by extension the fans.
I don't.. I think the owners only care about their own interests... they probably know the formula but don't know the figures to get an answer from that formula... same as everyone apart from within the NFL.

What's so bad with a 4-13 rebuild year? According to many posters here, that's where we are headed. Another top 10 pick is just what this team needs. Right?

I would like to see some growth in 24’, but ultimately I’m not as concerned with their record next season as I am with them laying the foundation for future success. IMO they have two full offseasons, and a lot of capital to work with, and they can get a lot done with it.

Good to know.. except the cap went up this year 13.6%.. as you say somewhat expected. But the % rise went up 14.08% in 2023. Although less money, I'd suggest that as I said.. its certainly helping the better teams stay the better teams and destroying the current free agency system that is in place.

Last edited:
bleacherreport

The jump was a welcome development for team owners who were "budgeting for a cap in the range of $240-245 million," per Graziano.
"We were hoping it would get to $250 [million], but we didn't really expect it to," Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane said last week at the NFL Scouting Combine. "We were conservatively planning for a number in the 40s. So to get the 255 [million], I was smiling."

Wolf has done a great job so far bringing back our best free agents and cutting some dead wood in Parker.

They still have a ton of cap space and some massive holes. Need to finish free agency strong and knock the draft out of the park.

There is no such thing as an “overpay” in this league. Cap goes up every year and through restructures can kick the can down the road until the asteroid apocalypse destroys the nfl

I don't.. I think the owners only care about their own interests... they probably know the formula but don't know the figures to get an answer from that formula... same as everyone apart from within the NFL.
Oh absolutely. Because these multi-multi millionaires don't have PEOPLE who are stone-cold EXPERTS following this **** with a magnifying glass every minute of every working day and plenty of non-working days as well. Sheesh!

The whole FA period is going as expected. There was little available at QB/LT/WR so we kept all our own players.

This is a recurring problem, of course; but you simply must draft players at key positions like those 3 and CB.

We need patience now the same way that we needed patience when we overhauled the defense.

I will say that a new QB and hopefully fewer key injuries to the OL and to our stars automatically adds 3-5 wins to this team.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back