PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Caplan: Pats exploring the trade market to get an impact WR

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, offseason rumors are often about as useful as a rubber crutch.

What Are the Patriots’ Plans at Receiver?​

Not only did the Patriots have serious interest in signing WR Calvin Ridley, but a league source with knowledge of the situation said the team has looked into the trade market for other veterans at the position.

As another source points out, New England has gotten little production out of the wide receiver position for years (especially drafted players), and they’re looking to add at least one impact player at the position this offseason.

New England signed veteran WR JuJu Smith-Schuster last March to a three-year, $25.5 million deal with $16 million fully guaranteed at signing. His $7 million base salary for this season is fully guaranteed.

Smith-Schuster missed six games last season due to injury and finished with only 29 receptions. The Patriots recently released veteran WR DeVante Parker, who signed with the Eagles.

Veteran receiver Kendrick Bourne, who was headed for a career-high in receptions, yards, and touchdowns last season before suffering a torn ACL, is back for his fourth season with New England. He signed a three-year, $19.5 million deal last week.

While the team is excited about second-year WR DeMario “Pop” Douglas, they haven’t gotten much out of any drafted player at the position since Julian Edelman, a seventh-round pick selected out of the 2009 NFL Draft. Notably, he was a college quarterback.

That would make sense. You have 50m in cap space and there really aren’t any fa left that we’re likely to throw big money at. If we’re planning to spend anywhere close to the cap which is what im hoping we are it would probably have to come via trade…if you’re going for quality

FWIW, offseason rumors are often about as useful as a rubber crutch.

What Are the Patriots’ Plans at Receiver?

Not only did the Patriots have serious interest in signing WR Calvin Ridley, but a league source with knowledge of the situation said the team has looked into the trade market for other veterans at the position.

As another source points out, New England has gotten little production out of the wide receiver position for years (especially drafted players), and they’re looking to add at least one impact player at the position this offseason.

New England signed veteran WR JuJu Smith-Schuster last March to a three-year, $25.5 million deal with $16 million fully guaranteed at signing. His $7 million base salary for this season is fully guaranteed.

Smith-Schuster missed six games last season due to injury and finished with only 29 receptions. The Patriots recently released veteran WR DeVante Parker, who signed with the Eagles.

Veteran receiver Kendrick Bourne, who was headed for a career-high in receptions, yards, and touchdowns last season before suffering a torn ACL, is back for his fourth season with New England. He signed a three-year, $19.5 million deal last week.

While the team is excited about second-year WR DeMario “Pop” Douglas, they haven’t gotten much out of any drafted player at the position since Julian Edelman, a seventh-round pick selected out of the 2009 NFL Draft. Notably, he was a college quarterback.

Everything other than the bolded part is filler.

This is interesting. I have to assume some of the teams on the left have a lot of young receivers. Pats ranked #14. Lol at BAL.

This is interesting. I have to assume some of the teams on the left have a lot of young receivers. Pats ranked #14. Lol at BAL.

JuJu Smith-Schuster had elite numbers at one point in his career. And Austin Hooper had some good numbers for a number of years, but has declined in recent years. So those numbers could be skewed a bit.

Curious on the use of the term "veteran" as opposed to "#1" etc. Might be looking for a reliable vet as opposed to a top talent.

To be fair to the receivers in Baltimore, Lamar usually ranks near dead last in pass attempts and passing yards... because he's not a passer. He gets his offense down near the goal line with his legs, a WR is never going to put up amazing stats there. Mark Andrews does well because he stands 6'5," Lamar can find him and he's hard to overthrow.

The Patriots have a solid room of possession WR's, even if they don't have that one eye popping talent. They should draft one of those, not trade for some disgruntled overpaid diva. A great QB and offensive line can lead a group of solid possession receivers to a top ten passing offense.

The Chiefs had one of the worst WR rooms in the league last year. A great QB can get it done with OK receivers. I would still like to have a great receiving unit to go with it, but the QB is the difference maker.

The Chiefs had one of the worst WR rooms in the league last year. A great QB can get it done with OK receivers. I would still like to have a great receiving unit to go with it, but the QB is the difference maker.
Maye and Daniels are probably not going to become close to Brady or Mahomes. Usually QBs need a top WR to be great.

Does this mean Harrison is out of the picture at 3?

That might be a terrible mistake
MHJ should be the pick. However I can't say Daniels or Maye would be a terrible mistake, even if it doesn't work. The logic was sound and they took the best player available at the most important position. The best available at 3 would clearly be Harrison, however QB is the most important position on the field.

Maye and Daniels are probably not going to become close to Brady or Mahomes. Usually QBs need a top WR to be great.
Alex Smith put up his best numbers with Andy Reid, so did Mike Vick and this was after he left jail.

Coaching, scheme and blocking matter a lot, after that you can get by with a bunch of solid receivers... which the Chiefs have proven the last two years. Brady proved this repeatedly.

Does this mean Harrison is out of the picture at 3?

That might be a terrible mistake
There's people saying Nabers will be WR1 over MHJ, so it's not unanimous.

Getting by with an ordinary receiver room is made easier when everything goes through one of this generation's best TEs. Take Kelce away from Mahomes and his job is infinitely more difficult.

As great as it would obviously be to get a new pass catcher or two I'm more interested in strengthening the run game. No backs on this team got over 700 yards last year, that's pretty dismal. 2 guys got 600 but that's still not wonderful.

If we can pick up some extra meat for the line and improve our backs with good picks or trades, I honestly think that we'll be surprised at the improvement in the QB room. Nothing makes a quarterback's job harder than not having a credible rush.

Mentioned this before but my ideal scenario is a trade down to pick up a second first round pick, say with Minnesota for 11 and 23, spend one pick on Michael Pratt and another on the best available Linebacker. Then target Braelon Allen or someone like him in the mid rounds. Good versatile running back who can catch and carry. Getting Pratt at 11, Dallas Turner at 21, Allen at 34 and someone like Fautanu in the later rounds (or any of half a dozen other of the more athletic OTs out there), that'd do me fine. Especially if we can also scoop up a salary dump or another RB from somewhere after cutdowns and grab some OL depth at the same time.

Last edited:
Honestly, I do not see this happening, at all...

Wolf has said he wants to try to stockpile picks... Cannot see him being willing to give up what picks we do have in order to bring in a Quality wide receiver...

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back