PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Troy Brown in contention as WR coach at Arizona State

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Linking to the original source:

Former New England Patriots wide receivers coach Troy Brown is a candidate to replace Ra'Shaad Samples in the same role at Arizona State, someone aware of the development told Sun Devil Source.​
Oregon hired Samples on Sunday to become its new running backs coach and assistant head coach. A day later, Brown has already been spotted on ASU's campus.​
. . . . .​
Brown was originally hired as the running backs coach in 2020 before he transitioned to wide receivers coach for the next three seasons from 2021-23. He also coached the team's kick returners throughout his time on staff, a four-season period in which the Patriots posted an underwhelming 29-38 record with only one playoff appearance that went no further than the Wild Card in 2021.​
. . . . .​
The extent of Brown's coaching resume, though, starts and ends with the Patriots. He's had no experience recruiting at the college level. Samples, a major recruiting asset who helped build a budding Texas pipeline with cornerbacks coach Bryan Carrington, ranked as the No. 12 recruiter in the Big 12 prior to his departure, per 247Sports.​

Linking to the original source:

Former New England Patriots wide receivers coach Troy Brown is a candidate to replace Ra'Shaad Samples in the same role at Arizona State, someone aware of the development told Sun Devil Source.​
Oregon hired Samples on Sunday to become its new running backs coach and assistant head coach. A day later, Brown has already been spotted on ASU's campus.​
. . . . .​
Brown was originally hired as the running backs coach in 2020 before he transitioned to wide receivers coach for the next three seasons from 2021-23. He also coached the team's kick returners throughout his time on staff, a four-season period in which the Patriots posted an underwhelming 29-38 record with only one playoff appearance that went no further than the Wild Card in 2021.​
. . . . .​
The extent of Brown's coaching resume, though, starts and ends with the Patriots. He's had no experience recruiting at the college level. Samples, a major recruiting asset who helped build a budding Texas pipeline with cornerbacks coach Bryan Carrington, ranked as the No. 12 recruiter in the Big 12 prior to his departure, per 247Sports.​
Good for Troy, honestly I hate to say this about one of my favorite players.
I think his loss won’t have any impact.

I see this as a positive development for both TB and the Pats young receivers.

we kept him on the staff here, no?

sounds like it was a "we don't wanna fire you, but it might be better for everyone if you look for a different job" type move...

I hope that Troy lands on his feet where ever he ends up

He hasn't been given the most to work with, but there's really not much evidence that he's a great WR coach or anything. The fact that they "demoted" him is probably the loudest indicator of his performance that we have. Loved him as a player but maybe a fresh start somewhere else would work better.

I hate to say so, but he had to go. The receivers room has not been well-coached. If this is some sort of face-saving arrangement, that's fine.

Good Luck Troy. That would be awesome.

I’d like to see Troy return as KR / PR coach.

Troy Brown should be in charge of scouting college WRs. He sort of appears to be the one who found Pop Douglas. Might he be The One Freaking guy on the Patriots scouting staff that understands WRs? But there is a possibly apocryphal (whatever that means) story of a scout that advocated for Deebo Samuel; when BB overruled him and took Harry, this scout quit. Not sure if it is true, but it makes for a good story.

Last edited:

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back