Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which direction do you want the Pats to go at QB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
The New England Patriots decision on their 2024 roster spots for QB has received a deservedly large portion of the recent debate on this forum. I'm going to throw at a name that has been discussed by some, but for the most part has been under the radar: Baker Mayfield.

Here is the premise: the Pats have many roster spots in dire need of an upgrade. They also own highly coveted draft capital: the number three overall pick in the draft. So what if the team did not feel compelled to draft a QB at that spot, having taken care of that in free agency? That would give them the freedom to use that pick on another position (MHJ at WR; Alt at OT), or trade down and amass more draft capital (likely to include another first round pick in 2025 - plus early draft picks at OT and WR).

Here is a link from the Tampa area's premier Bucs-related website, Pewter Report.

The Bucs will most likely let quarterback Baker Mayfield test the free agent market to gauge his worth. That may not be what fans want to hear, but this has become a familiar practice deployed by general manager Jason Licht and assistant general manager Mike Greenberg.
The Bucs don’t want to risk overpaying players past their market value, but in Mayfield’s case, it could backfire next month.
Mayfield is coming off his first Pro Bowl season and a career year in which he threw for over 4,000 yards and 28 touchdowns. He should be one of the more sought-after quarterbacks in free agency this year. ...
But out of all these names, Cousins, Mayfield, Fields, Russell Wilson, and perhaps Tannehill will be the most sought after by teams looking for a starter. Mayfield, who turns 29 in April, might be the best free agent quarterback of the bunch.

That all sounds good, until we get to the estimate of what Mayfield's price will be.

So Mayfield could be in real demand. I’m guessing Mayfield’s floor is $30 million per year. That’s $5 million more than Seattle’s Geno Smith got last year when the journeyman had a renaissance with the Seahawks, replacing Wilson and signing a three-year, $75 million deal.
If multiple teams emerge as suitors, it could really drive Mayfield’s price tag up, perhaps to $40 million per season, which is what New York Giants quarterback Daniel Jones makes. Mayfield is better than Jones, and is perhaps on par with Dak Prescott, who also makes $40 million per year.

Ouch. With all the Pats needs, would that much money be worth it to a rebuilding team? Or do we have enough confidence with the defense that is already in place to go for it, and plow the vast majority of cap and draft capital into the offense?

The author lists seven teams that might be interested in Mayfield; #2 was the New England Patriots.

There has been speculation that the Patriots will draft a quarterback with the third overall pick, but chances are they’ll be drafting the third QB off the board when they do. ... Would the Patriots want LSU’s Jayden Daniels if he’s the next best available option?
New England is in a serious rebuild mode now that Bill Belichick has departed. The last thing the Patriots probably want to do is to hit the reset button and slow the process down with another rookie quarterback who will need time to develop.
New offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt, who interviewed for the same post in Tampa Bay this offseason, was Mayfield’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in Cleveland for a few years. So that connection could help generate some interest from Mayfield in New England. The Patriots also have the second-most salary cap space in the league with $69,527,006 $86,857,390, so they could make a serious financial run at Mayfield and perhaps overpay to get him.

Your thoughts?

Let’s get locked up into a long term relationship with an “average/good” QB at best, oh yeah… and pay too much to do it.

No thanks, I’d rather roll the dice in the draft until they get it right.

40M per : no thanks. Was onboard as a cheaper option while someone waits in the wings. But that number would be insane and I’d be shocked if he approaches that for his next contract.

40M per : no thanks. Was onboard as a cheaper option while someone waits in the wings. But that number would be insane and I’d be shocked if he approaches that for his next contract.
I agree, that's way too rich. But with the cap going up and starting QBs so hard to find, apparently that is the new going rate?

Pass on him too, I’m all in on rolling with a rookie at #3.

I think the major factor in this discussion is whether Wolf & Co. have any apprehension to anyone of Williams/Maye/Daniels. If they don't, then they take whoever is still available at #3.

However, if the brain trust absolutely does not want one of those three, then a contingency plan needs to be put into place immediately; free agency is just two weeks away. That means either (a) signing a player like Mayfield - or at least making him an offer they can live with; or (b) signing a bridge QB like Brissett that can start right away, for as much as a year or two. If the latter is the case, then the next step is to work on which team is willing to give you the best value in a trade down - unless they are convinced they should stay put and use #3 on MHJ.

He's an NFC quarterback.

Based on what Wolf was saying I was thinking Fields, I’ve never seen him sulk or point fingers and he’s very athletic.

Like we had a chance at Baker Mayfield I am sure he would go for our Pathetic Offense in FA over the Bucs. :rolleyes:

Here's the thing about FA quarterbacks. You get them cheap when people assume they're not very good (Mayfield after the Browns). When they're coming off good years (Mayfield after the Bucs, Cousins) you have to pay them.

Also, for reference Daniel Jones got $25 million a year. That's a cheap starting QB now.

Right. Might as well give up now. Drop out of the NFL and move to the Canadian league.
A Few Good Men You Cant Handle The Truth GIF by SundanceTV

The Pats have no other option than draft a QB at #3 or McCarthy later in the first round. Next year class is weak and they are not drafting #3 again , they had to suck sooooo much this past season to have this draft pick and even if they try harder they should win more games just on the HC change not to mention draft/FA players acquired.

At some point they have to take a chance at a rookie QB long term and this is the year to do it.

The bridge QB they are going to sign honestly I don't even care.

Here's the thing about FA quarterbacks. You get them cheap when people assume they're not very good (Mayfield after the Browns). When they're coming off good years (Mayfield after the Bucs, Cousins) you have to pay them.

Also, for reference Daniel Jones got $25 million a year. That's a cheap starting QB now.
I'd pay Cousins but not Mayfield. Cousins is the real deal and is still my #1 option. Bring him in and then trade back to pick up more picks in the NYFL Crap Shoot.

First, let's all take a breath. They are gonna get better. No more Belichick double secret probation eval scores of draftees. Second, let's not make Baker Mayfield out to be the second coming of Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr. Mayfield is a journeyman. Back in the day, we'd call him a JAG and scoff at teams who wanted him. He is not all that and a bag of chips. But he's better than Mac Jones and probably not as good as whoever they take in R1. Give him a year or two and take McCarthy after trading back in R1, best available OT and WR in R2-3, all of a sudden, they are much better. Sign Pittman or Evans and you're in the mix in the east. It's not rocket science, and they aren't beholden to Bill's leadership and coachability scoring sheet.

Last edited:
I'd pay Cousins but not Mayfield. Cousins is the real deal and is still my #1 option. Bring him in and then trade back to pick up more picks in the NYFL Crap Shoot.
So glad you ain't spending our cap or making personal decisions a soon to be 36 year old QB coming off an injury no thanks.

First, let's all take a breath. They are gonna get better. No more Belichick double secret probation eval scores of draftees. Second, let's not make Baker Mayfield out to be the second coming of Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr. Mayfield is a journeyman. Back in the day, we'd call him a JAG and scoff at teams who wanted him. He is not all that and a bag of chips. But he's better than Mac Jones and probably not as good as whoever they take in R1. Give him a year or two and take McCarthy after trading back in R1, best available OT and WR in R2-3. all of a sudden, they are much better. Sign Pittman or Evans and you're in the mix in the east. It's not rocket science, and they aren't beholden to Bill's leadership and coachability scoring sheet.
I cool with that as long as our haul nets couple of WR's good year for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes