PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How should the Patriots use their cap $ in 2024 Free Agency?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is the #1 free agency priority for the Patriots?

• Sign a RB (e.g. Derrick Henry, Saquon Barkley, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well I see your point, but it's whatever the market dictates for him. The resources need to be 90% dedicated to the offensive side of the ball starting with the QB, O line then skill positions in that order. We agree on mapu/Dugger.

We need to dedicate our resources to add blue chip talent. Resources include FA and the draft. There is little to no blue chip talent in FA on the offensive side of the ball. We can sign defensive FAs, there is a lot of blue chip defensive talent in FA, or save our cap dollars until 2025/2026. Over paying offensive players in FA in 2024 makes no sense to me. We can rebuild over two to three years.

Last edited:
Great player, but often injured.

We need a tall press corner opposite Gonzo. Then M Jones and J Jones are in the slot and replace the Myles Bryant role. There are a few FAs that are tall press corners - I do not care which one we sign.

We need to dedicate our resources to add blue chip talent. Resources includes FA and the draft. There is little to no blue chip talent in FA on the offensive side of the ball. We can sign defensive FAs, there is a lot of blue chip defenisve talent in FA, or save our cap dollars until 2025/2026. Over paying offensive players in FA in 2024 makes no sense to me. We can rebuild over two to three years.
Agreed, the blue chip talent of course is on defense. Rham, ownenu ,pop would be some guys on offense,but your right nothing else that really are game changers on offense. No team goes into any FA looking to willingly over spend. However it happens sometimes in all sports. But I agree with your overall premise.

We need a tall press corner opposite Gonzo. Then M Jones and J Jones are in the slot and replace the Myles Bryant role. There are a few FAs that are tall press corners - I do not care which one we sign.
Spot on. I've been saying this for a while. We have a guy on our team that is 6'1 not Wade I can't think of his name.. did he get drafted by Buffalo?

Alex Austin! That's his name. 6'1.. he came on late last season.. I give credit to pelligrino those guys all played well under him.. we are pretty deep at CB.. Austin I can see him across from gonzo.. to 6'1 plus physical CBs with speed.

Alex Austin! That's his name. 6'1.. he came on late last season.. I give credit to pelligrino those guys all played well under him.. we are pretty deep at CB.. Austin I can see him across from gonzo.. to 6'1 plus physical CBs with speed.
Austin's numbers those last few games were tremendous.

Austin's numbers those last few games were tremendous.
Yes, he project ls to have a bigger role in the defense.. we may probably have the most versatile DB group in the NFL.

There are no OTs in FA. Who do you suggest? Our backups are as good as any backups in FA. Anderson? Lowe? T Brown would be a great backup if he is cost effective - I doubt anyone will sign him at his age with his track record at the Raiders. Who do you want to sign in FA?

If we pay Onwenu top dollar we have a good RT at top dollar - not a great way to start a rebuild. It is important to remember that this is a rebuild, not a restructure to make another run. QB is R1, OT in R2 and R4?

Any way around it, fillig out the offensive line is going to take two years.
OK, if that's the case, any QB should sit for the entire year. Zappe should start behind a rookie 2nd Round LT and a 4th round rookie RT, with Anderson and Lowe as the backups. There is no way that we should be risking a QB behind those tackles. Perhaps I owver state a bit. We could sign a free agent to play behind those OT's with Zappe as the backup.
==================
A long-term contract to Onwenu is fine for a rebuild. He would be a RT this year and then move to RT.

I disagree that Lowe and Anderson (will he play?) are better starters than what is available in free agency. That you believe that Brown would be a backup behind Lowe or Anderson makes no sense to me. My choices would be Becton and Onwenu, plus 2 draftees. Personally, I'd trade up into the first for one OT and draft another in the 4th. That is MY idea of a rebuild. We might still need to add an OT next year when we move Onwenu to RG.

We should take a poll of NFL scouts and those who evaluate NFL free agents and see just how many believe that Lowe or Anderson are better starters than any of the top 10 (or even 20) free agent OT's. I'm fine with one of them making the 53, but not as a starter.

Is this the group that folks are thinking is one of the best in the NFL? Sure, a top corner would be a fine choice in free agency. Bryant is more likely.

And, of course, we need a safety or two. Mills might be coming back, but we need Dugger or a starting free safety.

CORNERS
Outside: Starters: Gonzo and Austin (both have about 4 games of experience)
Nickel Starter: Jonathan Jones
Backups: Marcus Jones, Bolden, Wade

SAFETIES
Peppers, Bledsoe, Phillips, Mapu

Austin is good. Great to remember him, I forgot. Not a really fast or quick guy but maybe OK for WR #2. I still would like a top end press corner in FA opposite Gonzo, and Myles Bryant is gone with Austin plus M Jones plus J Jones. Need a FA FS too like Winfield Jr. then we would dominate.

My choices would be Becton and Onwenu, plus 2 draftees. Personally, I'd trade up into the first for one OT and draft another in the 4th. That is MY idea of a rebuild. We might still need to add an OT next year when we move Onwenu to RG.

We should take a poll of NFL scouts and those who evaluate NFL free agents and see just how many believe that Lowe or Anderson are better starters than any of the top 10 (or even 20) free agent OT's. I'm fine with one of them making the 53, but not as a starter.

I meant Lowe and Anderson as backups. T Brown as a backup alongside Lowe or Anderson. Not starters.

Becton is interesting if healthy and fairly cheap. Becton is too injured and not a real football guy so we can not overpay. I would prefer T Brown on a reasonable contract over Onwenu at RT. I think Onwenu will get top dollar from a contending team, and if true, Onwenu should take the money and we should let him go. Onwenu has earned a big pay day, but we are in a rebuild so we should use the FA dollars in other places.

I thought Alex Austin looked good last year, but I'd feel a lot better if he came to camp as the 3rd outside CB vs. the 2nd. I'd love, love to add a high level outside CB to play opposite Gonzalez with Austin backing them up. That's strong depth at as crucial position.

I'm curious to see what happens in the slot. Jonathan Jones has played outside a lot, but would be better suited to the slot if we can make the addition noted above. Same with Marcus Jones having played mostly outside as a rookie out of need but being better served as an inside guy on paper. And then Myles Bryant is a free agent. Many here acknowledge that we could use a cover 1 FS type (potentially in lieu of keeping Dugger). I wonder if Jon Jones could maybe move to that role? IDK, interesting idea.

It'd be nice if free agency talent lined up with our needs, but unfortunately I don't see it. It seems to me that the best bang for our buck if we want to sign a top FA or two is going to come at CB and/or DT. Maybe FS if they don't want to keep playing Dugger there or move J. Jones to the role. That just seems to be where the talent is.

I chose sign a top WR (sign 2), But there should’ve been an all of the above choice. They can sign a top WR (or 2), an OT (or 2) and a bridge QB. They can sign Owenwu and Dugger. Just be smart. I really like the idea of Jacoby Brissett as a bridge QB. They can fill a lot of holes in FA.

Trade Mac Jones for Mac McClung and create a winner. McClung could jump over the offensive line for first-down yardage in 3 plays. McClung could jump further with accuracy than Jones can throw the ball.

Lets Go Mac

I thought Alex Austin looked good last year, but I'd feel a lot better if he came to camp as the 3rd outside CB vs. the 2nd. I'd love, love to add a high level outside CB to play opposite Gonzalez with Austin backing them up. That's strong depth at as crucial position.
Agreed. There are a number of tall press corners in FA. We need to sign one.
I'm curious to see what happens in the slot. Jonathan Jones has played outside a lot, but would be better suited to the slot if we can make the addition noted above. Same with Marcus Jones having played mostly outside as a rookie out of need but being better served as an inside guy on paper. And then Myles Bryant is a free agent. Many here acknowledge that we could use a cover 1 FS type (potentially in lieu of keeping Dugger). I wonder if Jon Jones could maybe move to that role? IDK, interesting idea.
The subject of J Jones at FS comes up every year, and without fail the Pats never consistently play him at FS. I think we need to sign a FA FS like Winfield Jr. to plug that hole.
t'd be nice if free agency talent lined up with our needs, but unfortunately I don't see it. It seems to me that the best bang for our buck if we want to sign a top FA or two is going to come at CB and/or DT. Maybe FS if they don't want to keep playing Dugger there or move J. Jones to the role. That just seems to be where the talent is.
You are right and I have been beating that drum. We need to sign a defensive FS, tall press CB, and an EDGE or DT. Let Duggar go in FA and use Mapu in his place. Then pick all offense in the next two drafts.

That is only the approach because the offensive FAs are weak. Maybe we sign T Brown and Becton at offensive tackle and draft two rookies? There are a few good TEs in FA too.

Austin is good. Great to remember him, I forgot. Not a really fast or quick guy but maybe OK for WR #2. I still would like a top end press corner in FA opposite Gonzo, and Myles Bryant is gone with Austin plus M Jones plus J Jones. Need a FA FS too like Winfield Jr. then we would dominate.
He has great technique, a big corner that can man up against big WRs.. I've also mentioned the idea of jaire Alexander in green bay.. I read somewhere that he wasn't happy in the scheme he likes to play press man. You nailed it. The FS position is what's missing in the secondary.. I thought mills could be thst guy but for some odd reason he wasn't getting playing time. He could be a good FS for this team. Like Winfield as well..

I like the idea someone had about extending Barmore now, since the FA class is kinda weak. Kills me that dugger and peppers play the same position -- really makes no sense to have both. Could we resign dugger and trade peppers for a pick:? (Really like peppers, tho)

I like the idea someone had about extending Barmore now, since the FA class is kinda weak. Kills me that dugger and peppers play the same position -- really makes no sense to have both. Could we resign dugger and trade peppers for a pick:? (Really like peppers, tho)
Peppers is a glue guy, locker room leader. We need him. On the field he brings a tenacity to the defense an attitude that is needed. Gotta keep him around. Dugger is the guy and deservedly so.. will probably leave in FAs.. so left would be Bledsoe, marpu, or mills that could play the FS position. On Barmore I agree.. extended him now makes all the sense.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back