PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Folks Seem To Think That Extensions Will Use Up Needed 2024 Cap Money

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The secret is that extending veterans almost always reduces their 2024 cap hit. That is why extensions are an important tool is making more cap money available in the current year.

Obviously, a lot depends on the details of the contract, but it doesn't take a lot of creativity to reduce the 2024 cap of such players as Judon and Jonathan Jones (or even Stevenson) by extending their contracts.

Extending Barmore would require a rise in 2024 cap hit; again much depends on structure.
======
The open question is how willing will we be to extend valuable vets, or will we simply cut anyone over 30 in the first year of having a competing team.
=========
LET'S BE VERY CLEAR
The Offense and Defense are, and should be, on totally separate tracks.

The 2025 and 2026 Offense will bear little resemblance to that of 2023. We are building an Offense to fit our new QB. For me, it is OK to wait until next year and bring in more Offense with next year's $100M. Let choose those players to best support the new system. But, yes, I would like to see us trade for a top QB, but only if the contract is re-negotiated to cover 4 years. 1-2 years contract won't help much as we go for the Division in 2026.

On the other hand, we have a top10 Defense, probably a top 5 Defense in 2024 with a healthy Barmore, Judon and a new secondary player or two. The issue here is NOT re-building the Defense. The issue is to keep a steady blend of new players, players in their prime, and veterans in the last parts of their careers.

We need to have the vets mentor the youngsters. This is the way the Defense has succeeded for many years. Many hear howled when Guy and Wise were re-signed. IMO, that worked out very well. I think that the patriots will continue to bring in veterans, and value older veteran more than other teams, and much more than much of the patsfans fan base.

I do NOT want to look for a dozen new players to integrate into our Defense in 2025, simply because we prefer players under 30. IMO, that is a huge mistake. We should celebrate what the team has gotten out of the DL, all while bringing in Barmore and White. Who here thought that Bentley and Tavai would play so well. And the acquisition and training of players in the secondary is the best in the league. do see the team trying to bring in another Peppers or even another Austin. The retention of secondary coaches was a huge plus to the future of the Defense.

The Defense is NOT broke. Stay the course and we will have a top 5-10 Defense for the next two decades.

Last edited:
While the front office is currently focused on the draft, once that is done extending Barmore should be a priorty, IMO.

I’m thinking if C. Wilkins contract and D. Browns contract have a baby, it will be C. Barmore’s contract. 4 yrs 105 million, 75 mil guaranteed.

Yes, extensions usually result in a drop in year 1 cap value.

However, with us not being active in FA...I'd front load some of these extensions to open up even more cap space in 2025 to splurge on free agency. Like for example, why not give Barmore a 20M salary in year 1....along with his big bonus or something....then we'd only be on the hook for lower salaries in 2025-2027 plus any prorated signing bonus money.

If the team has leftover money they can resign players mid year and pay with 2024 cap dollars to reduce the impact to future years.

If the team has leftover money they can resign players mid year and pay with 2024 cap dollars to reduce the impact to future years.
???

Any leftover 2024 cap money automatically carries over to 2025.

???

Any leftover 2024 cap money automatically carries over to 2025.
Sorry, I based my assumption on previous mid season extensions. I didn't realize that the money was still available after the year expired. The good news is that the result is the same, more flexibility in future years.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back