PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two Major Issues On Defense; one for 2024 and a bigger one for 2025

BB’s decision to go Marty of Sacramento State in the draft following the season where grotesque RT play held the team hostage and Dawand Jones had fallen into our laps is still reverberating. And not in a good way.
Agreed.

I had zero problems with any of the other picks. Mapu made very little sense, especially with need at OT.

Agreed.

I had zero problems with any of the other picks. Mapu made very little sense, especially with need at OT.

Going defense with the first 3 picks in that draft was foolish.

Bill wanted to give Steve and Brian toys to play with vs taking a balanced approach.

Free safety could be an issue, especially if they deal with injuries in the backfield.

They should draft another large CB and move him to free safety, or sign an older wiser really fast vet free agent and play him there.

McPoo is NOT a Safety, of either the Free or Strong variety.
Mapu is not a free safety, but could potentially become a very good strong safety.

He still has to go out there and prove it, but it's foolish to say he couldn't.

Free safety could be an issue, especially if they deal with injuries in the backfield.

They should draft another large CB and move him to free safety, or sign an older wiser really fast vet free agent and play him there.
Free safety is a sneaky important role that seems to be a position that requires some experience to master. It could be that my view is influenced by how McCourty ran the DB's. The team should consider bringing in a vet and drafting a long term replacement later in the draft.

Free safety is a sneaky important role that seems to be a position that requires some experience to master. It could be that my view is influenced by how McCourty ran the DB's. The team should consider bringing in a vet and drafting a long term replacement later in the draft.
It’s definitely a position that requires smarts and an understanding of the entire defense, it’s usually the last line of defense.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back