PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Let's Talk Free Agency 2024

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I know a lot of us are looking forward to the 2024 draft since we hold the #3 overall draft pick for the first time in a LONG time. And yes that's going to be very important for our future going forward.

But there's a little thing called free agency that starts on March 13th, 2024, a month before the Draft. And this could be equally important for us.

What free agency offers us is the chance at ready-made proven NFL players. Yes, Robert Kraft has to open up his checkbook, but the Patriots have a LOT of cap space available and there are definitely some impact players out there who could help this team. Currently the Patriots are projected to have $66 million dollars in cap space in the upcoming free agent period, which is the 4th most in the NFL.

Here are the top 150 free agents for 2024 according to PFF: 2024 NFL Free Agent Rankings: Top 150 players set to enter free agency | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

I'm going to talk about 4 of them who might be of interest.

First let's take a look at #4 on the list WR Tee Higgins. The guy is still 24, stands 6'4 220 lbs and already has two 1,000 yard seasons to his name in the NFL. Yes he's not coming off his best season, but he had a hamstring injury that kept him out a few weeks. Tee Higgins has the size and physicality to be a possible WR1 for the Patriots. He won't come cheap but I find it doubtful that Cinci can afford to pay Burrows, Chase, and Higgins all at the same time. This could be an opportunity for New England to scoop up a ready made WR to plug into their offense.

Second, at #11 there's Michael Pittman Jr. He's 6'4, 223 and plays more like a TE or a big bodied WR than a deep threat but he is coming off one of his best seasons with 109 catches and 1,150 yards receiving. He's only 26 so he's just entering his early prime and could be the type of weapon this offense has been sorely lacking over recent years.

Next let's consider #13 from the list, WR Mike Evans. He's 6'5, 230 lbs, and a 5-time pro bowler with over 11,000 receiving yards and 94 career touchdowns. No doubt he's just a bona fide proven player. The only downside is that he is 30 now so he has some wear on his tires. But this guy could be your WR1 for the next few years and provide a reliable target and veteran presence for our presumed new QB.

Finally let's not forget the OL. At #14 on the list we have Tyron Smith of the Cowboys. The man is mammoth at 6'5 320 lbs and has been the blindside protector in Dallas for over a decade. He will likely look to cash in. The only downside I see is he's 33 years old. According to PFF, "Among 80 tackles who've played at least 300 pass-blocking snaps, Smith's 89.1 pass-blocking grade ranks first and his 98.2 pass-block efficiency ranks third, per PFF. He's also allowed the sixth-fewest pressures and has yet to allow a sack or quarterback hit." They project him to receive a 10m dollar offer from the Cowboys. Kraft might have to sweeten the pot considerably to get him away from Dallas but he could offer the Patriots offensive line a true anchor to rely upon.

But I'm sure I've missed out on a few guys who could also help us. Who are your favorite free agents that you would like to see join the Patriots in 2024? Would you want a particular player mentioned above to don the Patriots uniform?

Last edited:
I know a lot of us are looking forward to the 2024 draft since we hold the #3 overall draft pick for the first time in a LONG time. And yes that's going to be very important for our future going forward.

But there's a little thing called free agency that starts on March 13th, 2024, a month before the Draft. And this could be equally important for us.

What free agency offers us is the chance at ready-made proven NFL players. Yes, Robert Kraft has to open up his checkbook, but the Patriots have a LOT of cap space available and there are definitely some impact players out there who could help this team. Currently the Patriots are projected to have $66 million dollars in cap space in the upcoming free agent period, which is the 4th most in the NFL.

Here are the top 150 free agents for 2024 according to PFF: 2024 NFL Free Agent Rankings: Top 150 players set to enter free agency | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

First let's take a look at #4 on the list WR Tee Higgins. The guy is still 24, stands 6'4 220 lbs and already has two 1,000 yard seasons to his name in the NFL. Yes he's not coming off his best season, but he had a hamstring injury that kept him out a few weeks. Tee Higgins has the size and physicality to be a possible WR1 for the Patriots. He won't come cheap but I find it doubtful that Cinci can afford to pay Burrows, Chase, and Higgins all at the same time. This could be an opportunity for New England to scoop up a ready made WR to plug into their offense.

Second, at #11 there's Michael Pittman Jr. He's 6'4, 223 and plays more like a TE or a big bodied WR than a deep threat but he is coming off one of his best seasons with 109 catches and 1,150 yards receiving. He's only 26 so he's just entering his early prime and could be the type of weapon this offense has been sorely lacking over recent years.

Next let's consider #13 from the list, WR Mike Evans. He's 6'5, 230 lbs, and a 5-time pro bowler with over 11,000 receiving yards and 94 career touchdowns. No doubt he's just a bona fide proven player. The only downside is that he is 30 now so he has some wear on his tires. But this guy could be your WR1 for the next few years and provide a reliable target and veteran presence for our presumed new QB.

Finally let's not forget the OL. At #14 on the list we have Tyron Smith of the Cowboys. The man is mammoth at 6'5 320 lbs and has been the blindside protector in Dallas for over a decade. He will likely look to cash in. The only downside I see is he's 33 years old. According to PFF, "Among 80 tackles who've played at least 300 pass-blocking snaps, Smith's 89.1 pass-blocking grade ranks first and his 98.2 pass-block efficiency ranks third, per PFF. He's also allowed the sixth-fewest pressures and has yet to allow a sack or quarterback hit." They project him to receive a 10m dollar offer from the Cowboys. Kraft might have to sweeten the pot considerably to get him away from Dallas but he could offer the Patriots offensive line a true anchor to rely upon.

But I'm sure I've missed out on a few guys who could also help us. Who are your favorite free agents that you would like to see join the Patriots in 2024? Would you want a particular player mentioned above to don the Patriots uniform?
Great start. I agree with your targeted positions and the players are worthy of interest. I'd be okay with any of them.
Some of our own;
Henry, Onwenu and Elliott.
Also;
Brissett and Winfield Jr.

Last edited:
TE - all 3 are FA's this year - I'd like to bring back *Henry & Brown - (*Or sign Shultz & draft a guy like LaPorta)

RB - I'd be happy keeping all 3 (Rham, Harris, Hasty) - let Elliot go - (maybe draft a prototype 3rd down back)

OL - keep core (Andrews x2, Sow, Strange, Mafi, McD, Anderson) - sign Onwenu, bye Brown - (draft LT in top rounds)

DL - all returning - Guy or Godchaux might be cut - (sign or draft a good DT)

LB - pretty set - must sign Jennings - (Uche & Wilson are replaceable unless very friendly deal)

DB - pretty set - must sign Austin, nice to sign Dugger, cheap for Bryant - (could draft FS)

QB & WR - we know the problem and the need

“Nightmare at One Patriot Place” - Just had a quick peek at the upcoming FA list and iof all years to be in need of a QB - OT - WR!! We used to have a guy who sounded like he was lifting man hole covers when spending dimes and nickels and now we’ve got a guy who’s ready, willing, and overly anxious to “burn some cash”. Unfortunately, this looks like a year to keep the matches away from our new head coach. I’ll try to keep the excitement to a minimum but Kirk Cousins is the #1 available QB and #2 rated FA and is being compared to Phillip Rivers. Just sayin, but given playoff records a much better comparison would be Andy Dalton. Now I’m prayin that the new HC doesn’t have any plans of “burnin” $35m+/year for another Andy D… More good news - did anyone realize (I sure didn’t) that of the 3 highest rated OT’s (all in the top-25 available players) are already on OUR team??!! Based on our O-Line play this year - “Who Knew”??!! Too bad from recent articles/rumors they both hate being on our team anyway. And now on to the WR’s. I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised and shocked to hear that there are no highly rated Pat’s receivers in the bunch though I didn’t have time to search the entire 150 players! The top 4 WR’s are far better than any of our “resources” even though we do employ a “One Catch Wonder”, but I digress. Pittman and Higgins, who are the best players and choices will probably be franchised rather than “free”. Evans is closing in on 33 and from the game the other night has a tendency to drop a pass here or there - still our best bet moving forward as long as you consider 2 years at best - progress. And we can’t have a FA discussion without bringing up “OBJ”! With knees like these, why would we worry about drafting Michael Pennix??!! There is some good news in that there are LOTS of good players but mostly at positions (safeties, cb’s, edges) that are our “strengths” so maybe we should hide the matches, draft the BPA in each round to match our big 3 weaknesses (triple down if worthwhile), and spend a couple of bucks on a kicker while doing what all us Red Sox fans did growing up - “wait till next year” since it looks like “we’re on to 2025”!!

I would assume Smith is either returning to Dallas, or trying to get to a contender to get one last shot at a ring. I'm not sure a 33yr LT is really the fix we need, and the best use of the FA money.

At the minimum we need to do 2 of the following in Fa , since im seeing no suitable qb options there:

Resign onwenu
Sign an OT
Sign higgins, evans, or pittman. 50/50 on ridley but hes better than nothing if you’re not signing 2 tackles or a wr.

Would love to have OT fully situated or wr1 and 1 OT situated heading into the draft. That gives us a decent shot at filling each critical need by pick 35 with moderate to high level potential.

Next up on my wishlist is keeping henry, bourne, dugger, jennings, m wilson, zeke.

Id say We easily have the money for all that even if you need to overpay a little at OT.

You cant afford another offseason of vederon lowe/ reilly reiff/calvin Anderson/juju/ reagor at those positions

TE - all 3 are FA's this year - I'd like to bring back *Henry & Brown - (*Or sign Shultz & draft a guy like LaPorta)

RB - I'd be happy keeping all 3 (Rham, Harris, Hasty) - let Elliot go - (maybe draft a prototype 3rd down back)

OL - keep core (Andrews x2, Sow, Strange, Mafi, McD, Anderson) - sign Onwenu, bye Brown - (draft LT in top rounds)

DL - all returning - Guy or Godchaux might be cut - (sign or draft a good DT)

LB - pretty set - must sign Jennings - (Uche & Wilson are replaceable unless very friendly deal)

DB - pretty set - must sign Austin, nice to sign Dugger, cheap for Bryant - (could draft FS)

QB & WR - we know the problem and the need
As far as a DL in the draft, I find Maason Smith interesting. He's listed as 6'6 and between 310 and 315 pounds. Would be a nice pairing with Barmore. Antoine Winfiled Jr. is a true FS and although he'll cost some bucks, would be a fine addition to the secondary. For RB, I like Braelon Allen out of Wisconsin. He's listed at 6'2 and 245 pounds, runs a reported 4.40 40. Trey Benson is a RB listed around 6'1 and 225 and a fast 40 time, as if he's a faster Corey Dillon.

At the minimum we need to do 2 of the following in Fa , since im seeing no suitable qb options there:

Resign onwenu
Sign an OT
Sign higgins, evans, or pittman. 50/50 on ridley but hes better than nothing if you’re not signing 2 tackles or a wr.

Would love to have OT fully situated or wr1 and 1 OT situated heading into the draft. That gives us a decent shot at filling each critical need by pick 35 with moderate to high level potential.

Next up on my wishlist is keeping henry, bourne, dugger, jennings, m wilson, zeke.

Id say We easily have the money for all that even if you need to overpay a little at OT.

You cant afford another offseason of vederon lowe/ reilly reiff/calvin Anderson/juju/ reagor at those positions
Especially if we do draft a QB at #3 (even if he sits a year). We can't neglect the O-Line again and lack of receiving weapons.

Especially if we do draft a QB at #3 (even if he sits a year). We can't neglect the O-Line again and lack of receiving weapons.

Yup Thats just asking for a disaster if you take qb at 3 with our current wr crop and still needing tackles

Granted its not the best fa batch but you can still field an ok situation for 2024 with the right mix of fa and draft

“Nightmare at One Patriot Place” - Just had a quick peek at the upcoming FA list and iof all years to be in need of a QB - OT - WR!! We used to have a guy who sounded like he was lifting man hole covers when spending dimes and nickels and now we’ve got a guy who’s ready, willing, and overly anxious to “burn some cash”. Unfortunately, this looks like a year to keep the matches away from our new head coach. I’ll try to keep the excitement to a minimum but Kirk Cousins is the #1 available QB and #2 rated FA and is being compared to Phillip Rivers. Just sayin, but given playoff records a much better comparison would be Andy Dalton. Now I’m prayin that the new HC doesn’t have any plans of “burnin” $35m+/year for another Andy D… More good news - did anyone realize (I sure didn’t) that of the 3 highest rated OT’s (all in the top-25 available players) are already on OUR team??!! Based on our O-Line play this year - “Who Knew”??!! Too bad from recent articles/rumors they both hate being on our team anyway. And now on to the WR’s. I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised and shocked to hear that there are no highly rated Pat’s receivers in the bunch though I didn’t have time to search the entire 150 players! The top 4 WR’s are far better than any of our “resources” even though we do employ a “One Catch Wonder”, but I digress. Pittman and Higgins, who are the best players and choices will probably be franchised rather than “free”. Evans is closing in on 33 and from the game the other night has a tendency to drop a pass here or there - still our best bet moving forward as long as you consider 2 years at best - progress. And we can’t have a FA discussion without bringing up “OBJ”! With knees like these, why would we worry about drafting Michael Pennix??!! There is some good news in that there are LOTS of good players but mostly at positions (safeties, cb’s, edges) that are our “strengths” so maybe we should hide the matches, draft the BPA in each round to match our big 3 weaknesses (triple down if worthwhile), and spend a couple of bucks on a kicker while doing what all us Red Sox fans did growing up - “wait till next year” since it looks like “we’re on to 2025”!!
And I’ll still get a good nights sleep…..

We have the very worst Offense in the NFL.

Yet,
we have 3 of the top 10 OL's in free agency.
we have 3 of the top 10 TE's in free agency.
we also have one of the top RB's , one of the top15 WR's (probably top 10 by the time free agency comes).

With 32 teams competing for these players, how likely is it that we approve over what we had in 2023?

I would assume Smith is either returning to Dallas, or trying to get to a contender to get one last shot at a ring. I'm not sure a 33yr LT is really the fix we need, and the best use of the FA money.
Some of those offensive linemen can play at a high level even into their 30's. As noted above PFF graded Tyron Smith as their best pass protector.

Going closer to home, do you remember Bruce Armstrong? He played for the Patriots until he was 35 and never missed a game except his rookie season and the 1992 season.

Not saying that Tyron Smith is that type of ironman. But if you could solve your WORST position, left tackle, the past couple of years and it only cost you 12-13m dollars per year, would you do it? Left tackle is like an anchor position on the OL. Once you have a guy there it's a domino effect and you can slot in lesser players into the other positions based on their strengths.

I'm not saying that Tyron Smith has to be the guy we get to play LT, but how likely can you find someone of his quality in the draft? And let's say you only get 2 good years out of an older vet like T. Smith and by his 3rd year he's starting to decline. Well if you draft a developmental tackle this year or next year, that buys you time to let the younger guy develop and be "ready" before throwing him to the wolves and exposing your QB with an inexperienced blindside pass protector.

Just some food for thought, but it feels to me like a good LT is a pretty big need for the Patriots.

It boggles my mind that on a roster this bad, there are at the same time so many open roster spots (due to not previously extending certain players like Onwenu, Henry and Dugger). Inexcusable poor roster management, in my opinion.

Given the state of the current roster, it is incumbent that multiple positions be addressed in free agency, prior to the draft. Re-sign Onwenu and/or sign Tyson Smith. Otherwise the team is likely having to reach for am OT with their second pick, or lose a pick by having to trade up from the 2nd to 1st round.

Similarly the Pats need to address Tight End in free agency. With needs at QB, OT and WR, they're simply not in a position to draft a TE early. And if Kyle Dugger is not re-signed, there may be yet another position in desperate need of attention - but still not as dire as QB-OT-WR.

With all the open roster positions, I can see the large amount of cap space the Patriots have being used up quickly. That's all the more reason to make signing a veteran bridge QB a lower priority - at least in terms of allocated cap dollars. Double dipping in both free agency and the draft in those positions of need could be a properplan of attack.

Onwenu - 50 million/ 3 years with opt out after 2 years
T Smith - 24 million / 2 years
H Henry - 28 million/ 22 / 3 years
T Higgins / Pittman - 4 years 100/ 22 aav
Bourne - 2 years 12 million with upside to reach 15 million.

I cut godchaux, jc Jackson , Lawrence guy , Phillips and hasty and cap space ballooned to 100 million.

So all the above contracts are easily possible without making a huge dent .

Resign Shaun Wade, mac wilson , an inexpensive veteran qb and few middle of the class young talent ( age 26 and below) and see how they pan out .

Sign Qb , 2 OT and 1 WR in the first 4 rounds . Build the team tobtrenches and make sure young players get all the playing time. Trade Parker and JuJu to get additional 10 million cap space unless you feel Juju will be our Meyers.

If we sign bourne, no need of Parker and JuJu .

Last edited:

Excellent post! Anyone of those great players mentioned would be automatically #1s on this offense. So I'd be elated to have either one. My hope is tee Higgins, however Cincy may tag him? On O Line I'd rather go with a LT in the draft, We went the 30 plus lineman route with Reiff a disaster. I know most of our needs are on offense, But I've pitched the idea on defense of making a trade on draft day.. for Jaire Alexander CB In Greenbay. He'd be excellent paring with gonzo. Just my thoughts!

Excellent post! Anyone of those great players mentioned would be automatically #1s on this offense. So I'd be elated to have either one. My hope is tee Higgins, however Cincy may tag him? On O Line I'd rather go with a LT in the draft, We went the 30 plus lineman route with Reiff a disaster. I know most of our needs are on offense, But I've pitched the idea on defense of making a trade on draft day.. for Jaire Alexander CB In Greenbay. He'd be excellent paring with gonzo. Just my thoughts!
Whatttt... defense ... please.... do you want us to never watch pats game.. we have high school level talent on offense .

Please tell me you were joking or troling us. At this point its not funny... we suck that bad on offense...

This year's draft and free agency appear to mimic one another. Our top 3 offensive needs are QB, OL, and WR. Free agency is weak on OL and QB, but some pretty respectable receivers can be signed like (as mentioned) Higgins and Pittman. If we could land a decent WR in free agency, that would take the pressure off of the draft as we'll only have 2 important positions to fill.

With the 3rd and 34th pick, we might be able to make a dent in our offense's ineptitude at QB and OL with a decent WR signed in free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3