Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which direction do you want the Pats to go at QB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wozzy discussing Brady: “It’s a TEAM game!!”

Wozzy discussing Jones: “The offense had mostly to do with one player, not having a QB”
Just repeating yourself when you can’t follow the conversation doesn’t make you look any smarter.

Just repeating yourself when you can’t follow the conversation doesn’t make you look any smarter.

Wozzy discussing Jones: “The offense had mostly to do with one player, not having a QB”

“Tom Brady has magic powers that makes all things possible and is the entire reason for the rings, team doesn’t matter much in relation to QB magic.” - XLIX

“Tom passed for 505 yards, 3 TD’s in the 2017 Super Bowl and lost to Nick Foles”. - Wozzy

“It was his team’s fault” - XLIX

QB Fanboy logic…

No, he doesn’t. You are never going to win a Lombardi with Baker Mayfield. He’s a mediocre QB, not a game changer.
Yes, this is the issue. You believe that Mayfield can never win a SB.

Others say the same about Maye, Daniels and McCarthy.

You have to pay Mayfield a stupid amount of money to determine this.

Drafting a player puts them on a cost controlled contract for the next four years.

You have to pay Mayfield a stupid amount of money to determine this.

Drafting a player puts them on a cost controlled contract for the next four years.
If we don't get a capable bridge quarterback, we're locked into the cost-controlled QB for the next three to four years if he turns out to not be good (see Mac).

The model I like is an Alex Smith QB as a bridge quarterback until the rookie is ready. If the rookie doesn't ever get ready (see Lance) we're still capable of being in the playoff hunt at least.

Bottom line is Baker Mayfield offers the best chance the pats have at making the playoffs in 2024. You could argue Kirk Cousins but he's coming off of injury.
Jacoby - 8 mil
Flacco - 3-5 mil
Tannehill - 5mil
Offers a cheaper 1-2 year get the rookie ready play

If we don't get a capable bridge quarterback, we're locked into the cost-controlled QB for the next three to four years if he turns out to not be good (see Mac).

The model I like is an Alex Smith QB as a bridge quarterback until the rookie is ready. If the rookie doesn't ever get ready (see Lance) we're still capable of being in the playoff hunt at least.
I’d take a QB who is the next Mayfield or Flacco… think about it, absolutely nobody wanted these guys when these teams took them last season.

And QB fanboys can fantasize all they want how team doesn’t matter, but Mayfield only looked good because Tampa had super weapons and a good line. Flacco only won Comeback Player Of The Year because Cleveland had one of the best offensive lines in the league and good weapons. Nobody wanted these guys.

Nobody reallly wants Jacoby Brissett, Gardner Minshew, Carson Wentz or Mason Rudolph now. Some of these guys would make a good bridge QB to the rookie QB.

It’s too late for Mayfield, he’s going to get overpaid for what he is.

The difference is that Mayfield has played for 4 teams in 6 years, and has proven himself as a mediocre NFL QB. It’s like saying the Bills should have signed Andy Dalton instead of using a high first round pick for Josh Allen, because Josh Allen was just too risky. And the truth is that Allen’s accuracy issues were far worse than any issue this top 3 has. So people can go for the player they want, but I’m sticking to one of the top 3, as I really don’t want an Andy Dalton for the Patriots future.

The difference is that Mayfield has played for 4 teams in 6 years, and has proven himself as a mediocre NFL QB. It’s like saying the Bills should have signed Andy Dalton instead of using a high first round pick for Josh Allen, because Josh Allen was just too risky. And the truth is that Allen’s accuracy issues were far worse than any issue this top 3 has. So people can go for the player they want, but I’m sticking to one of the top 3, as I really don’t want an Andy Dalton for the Patriots future.
I want us to draft the QB highest on our board. I could certainly see the so-called top 3 not being the top 3 on our board. If all of the top 3 are acceptable to us, after analysis, interviews, and pro-days, then we simply discussing due diligence, and getting the best two- year bridge veteran.

I want us to draft the QB highest on our board. I could certainly see the so-called top 3 not being the top 3 on our board. If all of the top 3 are acceptable to us, after analysis, interviews, and pro-days, then we simply discussing due diligence, and getting the best two- year bridge veteran.

That’s pretty much where I’m at. I don’t expect them to take anyone they don’t believe in, but from where I sit it looks like there are 3 QB’s at the top worth taking. And what I want overall is for their strategy to be about building a great franchise that contends long term, I don’t have any interest in short term fixes, or just spending their money just to become a playoff team as fast as possible.

That’s pretty much where I’m at. I don’t expect them to take anyone they don’t believe in, but from where I sit it looks like there are 3 QB’s at the top worth taking. And what I want overall is for their strategy to be about building a great franchise that contends long term, I don’t have any interest in short term fixes, or just spending their money just to become a playoff team as fast as possible.
I agree.

If we were to sign Mayfield, it would be because the staff strongly disagrees with your evaluation of him and would want him for him to lead the team next 4-5 years. We certainly should be signing him as a short term fix.

Similarly, we shouldn't be signing a top WR with the idea of him being a top star over the next couple of years.

I agree.

If we were to sign Mayfield, it would be because the staff strongly disagrees with your evaluation of him and would want him for him to lead the team next 4-5 years. We certainly should be signing him as a short term fix.

Similarly, we shouldn't be signing a top WR with the idea of him being a top star over the next couple of years.

I agree, but if they came to the conclusion that Mayfield is “ the guy” then I would lose all faith in them, because I really do believe he’s just another Andy Dalton.

“Tom Brady has magic powers that makes all things possible and is the entire reason for the rings, team doesn’t matter much in relation to QB magic.” - XLIX

“Tom passed for 505 yards, 3 TD’s in the 2017 Super Bowl and lost to Nick Foles”. - Wozzy

“It was his team’s fault” - XLIX

QB Fanboy logic…
I know you're really butthurt right now, but here's the difference between my post and yours:

Everything you just posted above is completely made up (which I believe is a violation of forum rules, but I'll let you continue to make a fool of yourself). I never said those things. You, however, did say word for word the quotes I have attributed to you:

Right, but that same year, Mayfield got drafted for the Browns, Darnold got drafted to the Jets and Josh Rosen got drafted for Arizona. So you’d lock us into one of those in the hope that we got lucky and got Josh Allen rather than Josh Rosen for the next three-four years. But if we get Rosen or Darnold and fire either Wolf or Mayo or both, that’s worth it because we saved 30 million this year?

I know Bill wasn’t a good drafter, but he (mostly) knew you double up on important positions with a draft pick and a vet so that at least one works out.

I know you're really butthurt right now, but here's the difference between my post and yours:

Everything you just posted above is completely made up (which I believe is a violation of forum rules, but I'll let you continue to make a fool of yourself). I never said those things. You, however, did say word for word the quotes I have attributed to you:

You pretending to know how I feel at any point is about as dumb as ascribing supernatural powers to QB’s just because you don’t understand the sport you’re discussing.

It’s a team game genius, whether we’re talking about Brady or any player in history. Tom won a ring in 2001, a year later he was a better player and went 9-7. What changed? The Bucs won 11 games, 13 games, Tom had Arians fired and they won 8 games… what changed?

The Eagles went to the Super Bowl with Jalen Hurts, he was considered the next rising superstar QB. A year later the team lost both offensive and defensive coordinators and their team started to circle the toilet bowl by seasons end… what changed if they still had Hurts under center?

Mac Jones sucks… I never said you could win with a terrible QB, that’s just something you made up…. which is against the rules of this place according to you.

You believe in superheroes, the easter bunny… it would be cute if you were a child, but you’re not, so it’s just pathetic.

Right, but that same year, Mayfield got drafted for the Browns, Darnold got drafted to the Jets and Josh Rosen got drafted for Arizona. So you’d lock us into one of those in the hope that we got lucky and got Josh Allen rather than Josh Rosen for the next three-four years. But if we get Rosen or Darnold and fire either Wolf or Mayo or both, that’s worth it because we saved 30 million this year?

I know Bill wasn’t a good drafter, but he (mostly) knew you double up on important positions with a draft pick and a vet so that at least one works out.

By the logic you are using here they should wait until the 6th round because Brady was the greatest QB, and some first rounders didn’t pan out. Or that they should to take the 7th QB, because the 6 before Brady sucked.

The bottom line is that everyone has their preferences, and just because the 3rd QB drafted one year sucked t doesn’t mean the 3rd QB this year does. So we can only go by what we see, read, and come to a conclusion on. I like the top 3, I’ll go with any of them.

The Patriots can't be afraid to swing and miss in the draft. The draft is a crapshoot, but it's the best way to build your team.

If they sign Mayfield to a contract for more money than he's worth, suddenly there's less money to sign Onwenu, Duggar, Hunter Henry and all their other free agents. This team with less to work with to improve the entire roster is not as good, even if the level of QB play improves.

They can have Brissett or Flacco for substantially less than Mayfield and get comparable QB play until the rookie QB is ready.

By the logic you are using here they should wait until the 6th round because Brady was the greatest QB, and some first rounders didn’t pan out. Or that they should to take the 7th QB, because the 6 before Brady sucked.

The bottom line is that everyone has their preferences, and just because the 3rd QB drafted one year sucked t doesn’t mean the 3rd QB this year does. So we can only go by what we see, read, and come to a conclusion on. I like the top 3, I’ll go with any of them.
Agreed, I would add McCarthy to that mix and make it the top four.

If they aren't convinced with whoever is still there at #3, trade back a couple spots take McCarthy and get your left tackle with your very next pick. That will also give them some added ammo to grab a superweapon with their following pick and really improve their offense.

I’m saying do both. There’s no reason to take your shot. There’s also no reason to get the best insurance you can, too.

It’s not one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST