PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats approach to Pro Day scouting

Van Pelt, when are you gonna pop your head up and chat with the fans? Mayo? Tell us how happy you are with the off-season. Encourage us a little?

Who the hell knows why this team does what it does... Been like that for 24 years, and the old practices continue to this day... free agency was a tip off that it was pretty much business as usual at 1 Patriot Place...

After trading Fields for a bag of balls, you know the Bears are taking him in the number 1 spot... Does anyone else on the USC squad merit such investigation? Short answer is no. Maybe its a ploy - maybe they want to deflect, and trying not to tip their hand regarding who their real target is at 3. Maye or Daniels... I have seen mocks where Washington takes Maye, others with them taking Daniels... that is a complete toss up... no idea which direction they are going to go in...

I wish I knew more about the Pats scouting department - who is going to NC, who is going to LSU, as if knowing names would really make a difference... But it might, we could get a sense of direction for their plans in the draft...

Belichick did this throughout his tenure, in part because Draft Day can be unknowable, with last minute surprises dropping players way down, Wilfork, Moss, the LSU tackle who dropped to the 7th round from the top 5. And because even most first round players become free at some point, and he wanted to have seen them in person. He also had a habit of bringing in former first rounders years later to see if he could squeeze anything out of them. So I think it’s just doing due diligence in the scouting process.

This could be why. A lot of the time, teams send their higher ups to Pro Day to make deals.

We already have an entire thread on this vague, unsourced Caplan report. No meat at all to the report and Kleiman’s “very interested” is pure embellishment. The fact that the Pats have (probably) made a few calls about availability of wide receivers is neither surprising nor newsworthy. Most teams probably do the same every off-season.
There is no evidence that the Pats have been aggressive in their pursuit of wide receivers under contract with other teams. before the draft. For now it is nothing more than wishful thinking of a disappointed and impatient fan base.

Well, I have backed off on wanting him.. I'd prefer to trade down and take Odunze..
As someone who drove a manual '85 Accord hatchback with power nothing (and still consider it my favorite car ever even as older age has afforded me significantly more luxury models), this guy is really turning into a Beankie. How can someone mocked to a consensus #6 still have that mentality like he's got something to prove? Not sure if it's a "front," but I'm mostly sold. As much as I've been all for MHJ at #3, I can understand that unless MHS is like Adrian Peterson's tough love parenting, the guy might've been coddled all his life.

Also, that he drove a stick-shift Honda Accord with more than 200,000 miles on it, and worked at Target for a couple months. He used the money to buy Christmas presents.

Note I don't have access to the full article.

UnFun fact - He's exactly the same height as N'Keal Harry (6'2.7"). Also, supposedly he may have issues with press man coverage. And he can't land a plane to save his life:

“Do you think you can land a plane in case of an emergency?” the reporter asked.
“Absolutely not,” Odunze said. “We are going down. All souls have perished.”

This guy is going on TV post career.

Last edited:
Belichick did this throughout his tenure, in part because Draft Day can be unknowable, with last minute surprises dropping players way down, Wilfork, Moss, the LSU tackle who dropped to the 7th round from the top 5. And because even most first round players become free at some point, and he wanted to have seen them in person. He also had a habit of bringing in former first rounders years later to see if he could squeeze anything out of them. So I think it’s just doing due diligence in the scouting process.
Agree. In addition, they know that all of the teams with a dire need at QB will have high level execs there, so they are likely having in-person discussions with several other teams about what it would take to acquire pick 3. They may also be able to acquire additional intel in that same realm, including what teams have been offering for 1 and 2 or what they would be willing to offer, which could be used as a basis for an asking price for #3.

In general that value of pro days, in terms of on-field drills is probably overblown by fans and most media members. That is why Mayo, Groh and Williams attending the USC pro-day while missing out on the pro days of other schools with most draft pick-worthy players is not a big deal. Scouts and front office personnel have been watching these players in person and on film for years. If there are some unanswered questions about certain players, teams always have top 30 visits at their disposal. As the article and others here have mentioned, the patriots will have at least one scout at all of the major pro days and most of the others. If a player who has been flying under the radar demonstrates some elite skills/physical traits during a workout, they will have somebody in attendance who can bring that to the attention of Williams and Groh and recommend that they take a closer look, either on film or in person, before the draft.

The most likely scenario in which, on-field workouts would be useful would be players who are recovering from injuries, which caused them to miss most or all of their final season. There may be limited value in seeing these quarterbacks throw from a field level perspective, but I do believe that teams that there is some value in watching these top quarterbacks from a personality perspective…..how they carry themselves, how they interact with others. The more opportunities you have to gain insight into the personalities of quarterbacks, the better.

As someone who drove a manual '85 Accord with power nothing (and still consider it my favorite car ever even as older age has afforded me significantly more luxury models), this guy is really turning into a Beankie. How can someone mocked to a consensus #6 still have that mentality like he's got something to prove? Not sure if it's a "front," but I'm mostly sold. As much as I've been all for MHJ at #3, I can understand that unless MHS is like Adrian Peterson's tough love parenting, the guy might've been coddled all his life.

Also, that he drove a stick-shift Honda Accord with more than 200,000 miles on it, and worked at Target for a couple months. He used the money to buy Christmas presents.

Note I don't have access to the full article.

UnFun fact - He's exactly the same height as N'Keal Harry (6'2.7"). Also, supposedly he may have issues with press man coverage. And he can't land a plane to save his life:

“Do you think you can land a plane in case of an emergency?” the reporter asked.
“Absolutely not,” Odunze said. “We are going down. All souls have perished.”

This guy is going on TV post career.

Thanks. Very well spoken kid. Seems to be very intelligent. He must have nailed his combine interviews.

Last edited:
You understand the Giants will never let him slip that far.
Not happening.
I think we are Trading the pick I think Wolf is going be like Trader Danny Ainge on Daft day. I see us moving up and down the Board with 11 and 23 from the Vikes and a 2025 First Rounder will be a very tough to pass up.

Last edited:
I think we are Trading the pick I think Wolf is going be like Trader Danny Ainge on Daft day. I see us moving up and down the Board with 11 and 23 from the Vikes and a 2025 First Rounder will be a very tough pass up.
Only if J Jeff is apart of that deal.

I think Maye and McCarthy are both that good they would turn almost any package down. I wouldn’t be shocked if JJ moved up into the top 3 4 players in the draft conversation after today.
Reports??

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back