PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remaining FA Wide Receivers - or Do We Wait for Draft?

SlowGettingUp

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Having been outbid on Ridley ("whiffed" is not the right term here given the overpay for a guy that has had reliability issues), we have to look at who is left in FA or look to the draft.

Some Tyler Boyd rumors surfaced today.

Or we are on to the draft, likely in Round 2:

Bleacher Report:

Patriots Rumors: WR to Be Addressed in 2024 NFL Draft After Missing on Calvin Ridley​

"The more likely scenario would involve the Patriots selecting a quarterback at No. 3 overall and then using their second-round pick on a wideout. Florida State's Keon Coleman and Texas wideouts AD Mitchell and Xavier Worthy could wind up as options depending on how the draft shakes out.
None of those options are considered as high-upside as Harrison, Rome Odunze, Malik Nabers or Brian Thomas Jr., but the 2025 draft is considered a far weaker class at the quarterback spot than this year. The Patriots could follow a similar blueprint to the Cincinnati Bengals, who took Joe Burrow with the top pick in the 2020 draft, landed Tee Higgins at the top of Round 2 and then selected Ja'Marr Chase in the first round of the 2021 draft."

(link not showing up)

Having been outbid on Ridley ("whiffed" is not the right term here given the overpay for a guy that has had reliability issues), we have to look at who is left in FA or look to the draft.

Williams is interesting, although he's coming off a torn ACL and a "failed physical" designation. The hard part would be trying to avoid a repeat of what happened with Smith-Schuster but if Williams gets back to anywhere close to where he was, he'd be a pretty good addition. Even then, I would think the Patriots would need to target a player in the draft, likely setting up a situation that could force their hand with Thornton if that player pans out in camp.

It’s tough to get high end WRs on board with Brissett and an unknown rookie being at QB. Unless our offer is multi million above, most WRs would choose another opportunity.

I agree with Slash. Need to get a LT on board soon. I wonder if Tyron would go to more of a contender. Might have to look at a high potential guy like Josh Jones.

We need to lock down a #2 corner. Leave Jones and Jones at nickel. Pick up a solid reserve FS to match with Peppers and Dugger.

Then grab Mitchell, McConkey or Legette at 34. Then Burton or Malik Washington at 68.

Mitchell, Washington, Douglas and Bourne

Bleacher Report:

Patriots Rumors: WR to Be Addressed in 2024 NFL Draft After Missing on Calvin Ridley​

"The more likely scenario would involve the Patriots selecting a quarterback at No. 3 overall and then using their second-round pick on a wideout. Florida State's Keon Coleman and Texas wideouts AD Mitchell and Xavier Worthy could wind up as options depending on how the draft shakes out.
None of those options are considered as high-upside as Harrison, Rome Odunze, Malik Nabers or Brian Thomas Jr., but the 2025 draft is considered a far weaker class at the quarterback spot than this year. The Patriots could follow a similar blueprint to the Cincinnati Bengals, who took Joe Burrow with the top pick in the 2020 draft, landed Tee Higgins at the top of Round 2 and then selected Ja'Marr Chase in the first round of the 2021 draft."

(link not showing up)

Sad Jim Carrey GIF

It’s tough to get high end WRs on board with Brissett and an unknown rookie being at QB. Unless our offer is multi million above, most WRs would choose another opportunity.

I agree with Slash. Need to get a LT on board soon. I wonder if Tyron would go to more of a contender. Might have to look at a high potential guy like Josh Jones.

We need to lock down a #2 corner. Leave Jones and Jones at nickel. Pick up a solid reserve FS to match with Peppers and Dugger.

Then grab Mitchell, McConkey or Legette at 34. Then Burton or Malik Washington at 68.

Mitchell, Washington, Douglas and Bourne
That Burton kid is very interesting but I wouldn't take him until the 4th Round up. He had a nomad College career and didn't really produce statically. That said he looks the part and could be a late round steal.

That Burton kid is very interesting but I wouldn't take him until the 4th Round up. He had a nomad College career and didn't really produce statically. That said he looks the part and could be a late round steal.
Day 3 what’s your thoughts on Luke McCaffrey? His athletic scores were among the best at the combine. Went the jakobi meyers route starting out at qb before moving to wr. Reminds me more of his dad than his brother.

Day 3 what’s your thoughts on Luke McCaffrey? His athletic scores were among the best at the combine. Went the jakobi meyers route starting out at qb before moving to wr. Reminds me more of his dad than his brother.

He’s worth a shot in the 4th-5th round. It was thought he would go lower but his combine surprised most, and his pedigree and football IQ suggest a kid who could figure out the pro game and become productive.

Wish Luke could find a helmet that fits seems like it's always flying off of no pun.:) I really like him fun fact three players in the Upcoming Draft Father's were WR's Marvin Harrison - Ed McCaffrey and Jerry Rice which their Sons are too MH Jr - Luke McCaffrey and Brenden Rice. Ras what's your take on Brenden Rice I think he's very underrated and looks more than the part to me a testament to how strong this Draft is @ WR.

You always have to work with what is there, and never force it. It was clear from the start that the WR class in free agency was going to be so weak that Ridley would get grossly overpaid, and that’s what happened. That’s a terrible deal by the Titans, and it will end up hurting them in the long run. Even though it’s really costly I could have seen them making that deal with Tee Higgins, but Ridley isn’t close to worth that kind of cash, and I’m glad the Patriots didn’t go there.

Given what’s left it looks like the Draft is really their only recourse right now, but fortunately it’s a strong class. And while I completely get the need for a LT, and believe there will be very good starting tackles available at 34, and definitely if they trade back up into the 1st round, there’s also a good possibility that the run on OT’s could see 8 of them go off the board in the first round, and if that happens then I think the Patriots have to reconsider their options at #34. One option is that because some defenders are going to rise into the 1st round due to need, that some first round receivers like Adonai Mitchell could drop to the 2nd round, and the value could just be too good to pass on. The other option, which I really like, is two moves tied together. The first is to trade down at #34, possibly to a team that wants Penix, and the second move is to trade up from #68, giving them 3 second round picks between say 40-55. If they did this they could still come away with a very good OT prospect, e.g.. Patrick Paul , Amegadjie, or Morgan, and get two really good Wr’s, like Troy Franklin, Jaylen Polk, or Roman Wilson. Or they could flip that and go with two OL and one WR. Either way I think that mid second round is a great place to pick up really good talent, and rather than reach at # 34 just drop a little and load up at a position.

From that list we could probably get Hollywood Brown but I wouldn't give him more than 10Mill a year he's not my first or Second choice.

Team that historically has issues drafting WR help is going to rely on the draft to get WR help. This probably won't end well. The last top WR they drafted was Terry Glenn, who was a first rounder. I'm not sure this franchise has ever drafted a #1 outside of the 1st round. Before that I think it was Fryar in 1984. Right?

Wish Luke could find a helmet that fits seems like it's always flying off of no pun.:) I really like him fun fact three players in the Upcoming Draft Father's were WR's Marvin Harrison - Ed McCaffrey and Jerry Rice which their Sons are too MH Jr - Luke McCaffrey and Brenden Rice. Ras what's your take on Brenden Rice I think he's very underrated and looks more than the part to me a testament to how strong this Draft is @ WR.
Wouldn’t mind Rice at all around R3-4. He’s learned from the best to ever do it.

Team that historically has issues drafting WR help is going to rely on the draft to get WR help. This probably won't end well.
You’re right, Belichick will most likely screw it up again. The Krafts really need to move on from him, at least when it comes to drafting.

You’re right, Belichick will most likely screw it up again. The Krafts really need to move on from him, at least when it comes to drafting.
Well...Wolf and Groh are still there. Doesn't inspire confidence.

Well...Wolf and Groh are still there. Doesn't inspire confidence.
Got Pop last year so that was a step in the right direction. Missing out on Ridley was unfortunate but going after the Ridley’s on the world and getting rid of the Parker’s gives me hope that they know what they’re looking for come draft time.

Nothing in that list they should pay a lot to get.

Draft and let the kids play.

Bourne and Juju (if he’s still here), draft picks and the four kids from last year can fight it out.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back