PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2024 WR/PTP Thread

Did you watch XL against Tennessee and other good teams? At times pressed up on the line and throughout his route. I could put to other games but he was banged up a lot.
I didn’t see that game. But his stupendous production against SEC teams last season, which has the best corners in college football, stands on its own.

And with his size, I am not worried about Legette getting bullied by a DB like BoneyT.

A guy like Adonai Mitchell, who is a freak athlete with good size, looks to be drafted earlier than XL. But even he had too many games of three catches or less.

I acknowledge that we have a desperate need for a legit X receiver—and have for years. We do have Jalen Reager who showed up some games and may continue to surprise some people.

I admire mocks that predict Adonai Mitchell to the Bills at 28 and Xavier Legette at 32 to the Chiefs. Both should become household names by the middle of next season.

I wish we could, by trading back—maybe twice!—get one of those two.

Last edited:
I love Xavier Legette! Big, strong, explosive, speedy, and instinctive. I rate him fourth behind Nabers, Harrison, and Odunze.

Ricky Pearsall is someone else I’m keen on.
I'm predicting him to be a bust...Struggles to separate...Now watch him be the next DK

Welcome, Ricky Pearsall. Your play and toughness screams Patriot.

He met the Patriots informally at the Senior Bowl. He’s a perfect early third down pick.

Pearsall will turn 24 during the season. I honestly don't have him or Legette on my list because of their ages. He's more of a David Givens than a Deion Branch.

Pretty sure we are all weary after Nkeal Harry not working out. You even mention no separation and fans are instantly in the no category regarding Coleman.

4.61 40, broad jump 127” vertical 38” 1.54 10 yard split. 6ft 3 215

4.57 40, broad jump 115”, vertical 36” 1.59 10 yard split 6’1 214.

So who is better? Keon or NKeal?

The better question would be who’s combine numbers are those?

Top is Keon Coleman’s and bottom is Deandre Hopkins.

Before you jump my ****, I’m not claiming that Coleman is better than Hopkins, obviously his college production was superior in every way imaginable and had a fantastic trio of Martavis Bryant and Sammy Watkins to work with at Clemson. Neither am I claiming he’s better than Legette or Pearsall. Just to remember that some players make due and excel with what they got. Coleman could easily bust but it’s not a certainty that he is going to have the same trajectory as NKeal Harry either.

Again though, after Harry’s time here and the failed investment of a first round pick with very little return, I can see why fans are spooked.

Again though, after Harry’s time here and the failed investment of a first round pick with very little return, I can see why fans are spooked.
Harry was a bust because he couldn't create separation to save his own life. I don't know enough about Coleman to comment but I have a feeling that we're going to focus more on receivers with speed who can create their own separation, ie win at the line of scrimmage as soon as the ball is snapped.

The most important consideration besides individual talent is the Patriots new offensive scheme under Alex Van Pelt.

I read this article to get my primer on his scheme: Film Review: How Will the Patriots Offense Look Under New Offensive Coordinator Alex Van Pelt?

But to make a long story short the AVP offense looks like an outside zone scheme. It relies a lot on the running game to set up a heavy play action game. So once the defense starts biting because they are getting gashed by those runs, AVP wants to hit you deep and punish those DBs cheating up.

Pre-snap motion looks to create an advantage by shifting the numbers where the defense didn't expect it. The QB must be comfortable running bootleg with the idea of either passing it, handing it off, or maybe even keeping it and running if the opportunity presents itself. So to me this means we need a QB who is athletic, is comfortable with making throws on the run, and can run a good play action.

As for the receivers, I think you want guys who can win off the snap, giving the QB an easier first read. But that's easier said then done. There are a lot of receivers who could fit the bill in this draft but we need to find the right guys. IMO finding a difference maker in the draft looks like the best option since we whiffed in free agency.

Last edited:
Polk, Franklin (2nd round), Baker and Rice (3rd, 4th) can be X receivers. I've read elsewhere the team is pretty high on McConkey (could go in rnd 1.) With teams at the bottom of round 1 all needing OTs, chances are Kingsley won't be there at 34 which means NE gets their pick.

Polk, Franklin (2nd round), Baker and Rice (3rd, 4th) can be X receivers. I've read elsewhere the team is pretty high on McConkey (could go in rnd 1.) With teams at the bottom of round 1 all needing OTs, chances are Kingsley won't be there at 34 which means NE gets their pick.
Kingsley Suamataia would be my top choice at 34 so if he isn't there then I would assume a McConkey or Adonai might fall to them instead. I'd be happy with either.

If we do land Kingsley though than I would be targeting Legette, Corley or walker in the 3rd.

I don't care if he can't play football at all or if we're still stinging over the failed Jeff Demps experiment, but I'm all in on Cole Beck as a UDFA pickup. He'd be the fastest 100m NFL player in history unassisted or assisted (which is what Jim Hines's Mexico City win was).

This is a quarter serious post... or maybe not.
Hmmm... Disappointed he ran only the 2nd fastest 2nd 20yds in a 40 I've ever seen (1.74 - Kalon Barnes ran 1.73 and only had 9 ST snaps as a rookie last year probably due to bad agility - Olympian Marquis Goodwin also ran a 1.74), as that is a slow 10 (or 20) for someone who's run a 9.97 100m (+1.3w... 9.87 for +5.5w). Rootin' for him, though! Someone's probably gonna give him a shot for ST. Would love to see what Slater could do for him.

1713757849988.png

Attachments

• 1713757970810.png
    1713757970810.png
    471.6 KB · Views: 0
Some interesting matchups:

Always curious about what defenders have success on the elite prospects

I remember Patriots legend Jemea Thomas had some success against elite WR prospects like Sammy Watkins and I'm missing a few (Maybe Benjamin, Woods, Lee, Evans?)

Always curious about what defenders have success on the elite prospects

I remember Patriots legend Jemea Thomas had some success against elite WR prospects like Sammy Watkins and I'm missing a few (Maybe Benjamin, Woods, Lee, Evans?)
Obviously highly rated defenders will have success against similarly as talented WRs, but the no names that stand out while watching elite prospects fascinates me...I'm sure there's others

Thanks to DaBruinz, I have an actual Beankie: Isaiah Wooden Sr. Pats already have a smurf in DigDug, so they're prolly not gonna get him, but gonna root for him throughout his career. Seems like a great guy.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back