PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2023 CB/PTP Thread

How does the secondary tackle a big RB with Forbes and Jack Jones back there?
Oh it would be a clear tell. I mean it wouldn't happened by accident so coaches and fans would have to accept the give and take. Plus we have a great Saf unit to help.

We're already half way there as it is. I wouldn't hate it. TO change games more than rushing attempts.

That's good for us as Pats fans. His play speed looks mid 4.3's. If he ran 4.3's he would probably challenge Gonzales as a guy in the top-10. I'm frankly kind of happy he didn't run a 3-cone (that I can find) because I think he would have approached record level 3-cone had he tested. Every year there is someone outside of the top ten but in the top-15 I am completely blown away by that usually develops into the best player in that draft. Two years ago it was Parsons, last year Davis, this year it's Witherspoon. I took a few years off of following due to an obsession I developed with another sport but previous to that I was saying JJ Watt should be top-five last time I played close attention. This year is Witherspoon, IMO. I think he is as good as Sauce but I like his game more. I think he is a lot more violent. Probably the most violent corner prospect I have ever seen. He plays like a throwback strong safety. Pats might have a shot at him.
Man... after one of my WR binkies (Trey Palmer) broke out for 7rec 237yds 2TDs and 1rush for 60yds, the next game Witherspoon and company absolutely shut him down - 1rec 1yd.

"Zero TD receptions throughout his career" - Is this for real?

Man... after one of my WR binkies (Trey Palmer) broke out for 7rec 237yds 2TDs and 1rush for 60yds, the next game Witherspoon and company absolutely shut him down - 1rec 1yd.

"Zero TD receptions throughout his career" - Is this for real?

I've been very high on Him and Gonzalez for awhile. I want nothing to do with Porter, Jr because of his father. If either of them are there at 14, the Pats need to be running up to the stage to get their card in..

Yeah, there's too many mental lapses in his game to be a sure fire first rounder, let alone a top 15 pick.
I disagree. Watch Maryland’s Deonte Banks’ game tape against Ohio State and their ridiculously talented wideouts that Georgia couldn’t handle in the playoffs.

Pay particular attention to Deonte Banks covering Marvin Harrison Jr on a deep out at the 6.57 mark.

Riley Moss of Iowa got smoked on the identical play to the other side by the otherworldly talented Harrison.

Slow motion at 6.57. That’s pure gold first round talent with such fluid hips, 4.3 speed, and good 6’ length and long arms.

Last edited:
I disagree. Watch Maryland’s Deonte Banks’ game tape against Ohio State and their ridiculously talented wideouts that Georgia couldn’t handle in the playoffs.

Pay particular attention to Deonte Banks covering Marvin Harrison Jr on a deep out at the 6.57 mark.

Riley Moss of Iowa got smoked on the identical play to the other side by the otherworldly talented Harrison.

Slow motion at 6.57. That’s pure gold first round talent with such fluid hips, 4.3 speed, and good 6’ length and long arms.

Lots of great DBs in this draft. Seems to argue to trade down.

He's a good player, he's just not a first rounder in my book. Too indecisive at times, makes too many wrong decisions. When he looks good he looks great, but the consistency isn't there, for me.

I want nothing to do with Porter, Jr because of his father.
Not sure I follow. Because other than his father, the intense Patriots-hating former Steeler, Joey Porter Jr. is exactly what the doctor ordered for our defensive secondary.

Last edited:
Not sure I follow. Because other than his father, the intense Patriots-hating former Steeler, Joey Porter Jr. is exactly what the doctor ordered for our defensive secondary.

Joey Porter, Sr is VERY involved in his son's career. He's very VOCAL. He hates the Patriots so much that I have ZERO doubt that he'd do everything he could to help shoot his son shoot his way out of town. That's not something the Pats can afford to have happen.

It does, but if both OTs are gone yet one of either Gonzo & Witherspoon remain, then it would be very tempting indeed to stand pat and take one of them (JSN & Porter are currently in my After a Small Trade-Down room)...

BGC has Porter rated higher than Witherspoon I think.

I am very disappointed in the number of CBs and WRs refusing to do 3-Cone and SS, even at their Pro-Days.
I know people have mentioned Kelee Ringo but his 3cone (7.21) and Short Shuttle (4.25) are meh imho.

Kyu Blu Kelly had a 3-cone of 3-cone of 6.93, but a SS of 4.35.

Julius Brents is intriguing because he's tall (6'2 6/8), got the long arms (34") , a 3-cone of 6.63 and a SS of 4.05. There are 2 issues with Brents. He only ran a 4.53-40 at the combine and he's already 23.

Riley Moss is another guy whom I think would be a good add later in the draft. Particularly if his work habits are as described.

I don't know that @BaconGrundleCandy has updated his spread sheet at CB since Witherspoon's pro-day.
He'll be on there. Actually looked at a few positions last night so hopefully I'll be able to update soon. Spoon will be on there.
I am very disappointed in the number of CBs and WRs refusing to do 3-Cone and SS, even at their Pro-Days.
I know people have mentioned Kelee Ringo but his 3cone (7.21) and Short Shuttle (4.25) are meh imho.
Mentioned this a few times but there's a few CB with Saf bodies and hes one. His feet are too slow. Seen him caught up and lost in short areas too many times against bigger WRs. It won't get easier against better comp. Curious what teams have planned for him.

Julius Brents is intriguing because he's tall (6'2 6/8), got the long arms (34") , a 3-cone of 6.63 and a SS of 4.05. There are 2 issues with Brents. He only ran a 4.53-40 at the combine and he's already 23.
RS, was injured early on at Iowa. 4.5 isn't great but he killed everything else including 10/20 splits. Seattle likes guys with at least 32" arms bc they figured out it shaves off some time if length is utilized properly.
Riley Moss is another guy whom I think would be a good add later in the draft. Particularly if his work habits are as described.
Yup

I agree.

How can Ken Platte, the RAS guy, give a perfect 10.0 to Maryland’s Deonte Banks, a guy who refrained from doing all agility tests?

I agree.

How can Ken Platte, the RAS guy, give a perfect 10.0 to Maryland’s Deonte Banks, a guy who refrained from doing all agility tests?

Agreed. If somebody doesn't perform the 3C & SS then their grade should reflect more poorly on him, perhaps by inserting a position-average pair of numbers in order to bring down his overall grade...

I agree.

Personally, there should be no way to get a "10.0" anyways.
For players who don't do a particular event, you should give then an INC for that and use some other number. You shouldn't just IGNORE it. It defeats the purpose of the comparison.

RAS isn't awarded by Platte. It's literally just a historical composite of how you rank in the events in which you competed. So a "10" doesn't mean anything other than he's historically at the top of his class for the things he did. Trying to average it out or water it down doesn't help, because it's not an overall score that should be used as a predictive measure. It's only so you can, at a glance, tell where a guy is in relation to historical prospects, and it should be mostly used as a cut-off. That is, if someone fails to hit certain benchmarks, then you start to worry.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back