PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB’s Assistants?

It's all up in the air because we don't know

1. Where Bill goes and who wants to follow him.
2. Who the GM, HC, OC and DC will be.

Conventionally with an internal hire, you'd expect a next man up thing on their side of the ball. Well Steve Belichick is most likely going with his dad. Can't really see him staying. Unless he really thinks he needs to get out from his shadow, I think he's gone. Which means a lot of the defensive side goes up in the air.

Offensively, no idea if BOB wants to stay on without Bill or if he would be comfortable under Mayo if he's the coach. If BOB stays on, he'll probably want to bring on his guys this go around. If not, you are overhauling the entire offensive coaching staff.

I'm assuming yes men like Judge are gone and will follow Bill.

Could very easily see Bill putting together a staff of himself as HC/GM, Steve as DC, Josh McDaniels as OC, and Judge as Special Teams.

Also if the Patriots get a completely new coach and it isn't Mayo, everyone is 100% gone.

Assuming Mayo is HC:

O: let OC pick his staff, everyone else gone.
D: keep Covington, everyone else gone.
ST: clean house.

OFFENSE
BOB didn't get to name his position coaches in 2023. I'm sure that he can find a staff that can work well together, and one that will do a better job than this year's. He might keep one or two coaches, or not. BOB just wants a chance to build an Offense around a young quarterback.

DEFENSE
This is a huge problem. If someone other than Mayo is named HC, the others could all be gone. I suppose that is possible for BOB or Vrabel to be HC, and for them to convince Mayo to stay and have him influence others. More likely is that Mayo would lead the parade to getting interviews. It won't be hard for Mayo to look for promotions. He is position coach for half of the linebackers.

Rightly or wrongly, folks think that assurances were made to Mayo to get him to stay, even without a promotion. Mayo took the new contract (and bonus check) and immediately stopped interviewing. I don't think that Mayo would wait again. He was waiting to make decisions if Belichick were to leave. Well, Belichick is gone. There is no pressure on the Kraft's. They can sign who they wish. However, Mayo should do as the players' agreement provides, and interview for coordinator, assistant coach and head coaching jobs should requests for such interviews come.
BOB's playcalling was unimaginative, stale (might be the same thing, I don't care, he was terrible), created no sense of urgency when behind which was most of the time. Feels like the Jets hiring Hackett, completely ridiculous based on the results in prior season where the offense play was historically bad. Just bad QB play? Huh, I wonder who oversaw that?

So, we know BB is gone.
-How many of his assistants are tied to him?
-how many does RK really WANT to keep?

Your thoughts? Here the list of 19:
Official New England Patriots News and Analysis

Coach List
Position (years). [thoughts]

Asst HC: Joe Judge (13) [see ya]

OFFENSE:
OC/QB: Bill O’Brien (13) [ mmmh]
WR/KO Ret: Troy Brown (5): [let him go-sadly]
OL: Adrian Klemm (6): [?status/keeper?]
TE: Will Lawing (8) [ ?not special?]
RB: Vinnie Sunseri (5) [ ok ]
Asst QB: Evan Rothstein (12) [ ??, Results not +]
Asst OL: Billy Yates (12) [ also results not +; but w OL consistency pays]

DEFENSE:
LB: Jerod Mayo (5). [keep-promote]
LB: Steve Belichick (12) [ could keep, but he want to follow?]
S: Brian Belichick (8) [same as brother]
DL: Demarcus Covington (7) [good unit-keeper]
CB: Mike Pellegrino (9) [keeper?]
D Fellowships: Bentley (1) / Jones (1) [whatever]

SP TEAMS:
ST Coord: Cam Achord (6) [do u have to ask?]
ST Asst: Joe Houston

STRENGTH
Head: Moses Cabrera (13) [think keeper]
Asst: Deron Mayo (6) [ think keeper/ related?]
I see the Steve and Brian leaving, as well as judge. Mayo of course knows everyone on the staff so I'm sure he'll give them all ample room to make a decision to leave or stay I'd imagine. I see covington promotion to DC. I think BOB stays ans Mayo will allow him to run his own offense fully.

I see the Steve and Brian leaving, as well as judge. Mayo of course knows everyone on the staff so I'm sure he'll give them all ample room to make a decision to leave or stay I'd imagine. I see covington promotion to DC. I think BOB stays ans Mayo will allow him to run his own offense fully.

I certainly hope not. We need a Real DC, not even More of the same old same old; we're gonna have enough of that already.

I certainly hope not. We need a Real DC, not even More of the same old same old; we're gonna have enough of that already.
You don't like covington? He's a dam good coach. He's currently on the defensive staff. I just wanted talented coaches and players period.

same old, same for Defense woude be a really good thing

if Mayo gives them all ample room to make a decision he just took a giant leap towards failing.

if Mayo is going to be a success he will shape the team as he wants. That means he will move strongly to keep those on the staff that he wants, and equally to dump those he doesn’t want.

if he goes all wishy washy and gives them all plenty of space to decide whatever they want he’s lost the locker room before he’s built the locker room.

if Mayo gives them all ample room to make a decision he just took a giant leap towards failing.

if Mayo is going to be a success he will shape the team as he wants. That means he will move strongly to keep those on the staff that he wants, and equally to dump those he doesn’t want.

if he goes all wishy washy and gives them all plenty of space to decide whatever they want he’s lost the locker room before he’s built the locker room.
It was just an assumption mayo would allow guys specifically SB and BB that have worked side by side with him to either choose what they think is best for them. No different than what any other needs coach thar takes over would do really. The plan is either retain and, or hire talented minds on both sided of the ball. Of we get the talent in here it makes Mayo's job much easier. He already has the locker room so that's huge!

It was just an assumption mayo would allow guys specifically SB and BB that have worked side by side with him to either choose what they think is best for them. No different than what any other needs coach thar takes over would do really. The plan is either retain and, or hire talented minds on both sided of the ball. Of we get the talent in here it makes Mayo's job much easier. He already has the locker room so that's huge!
Steve really needs the DC title wherever he goes. He has been calling plays on a top ranked defense for years. If you want continuity it makes sense that he gets the title here. If Mayo wants to show that he can independently be successful without a Belichick running his defense, Steve runs a defense somewhere else, there are many DC openings available.

Steve really needs the DC title wherever he goes. He has been calling plays on a top ranked defense for years. If you want continuity it makes sense that he gets the title here. If Mayo wants to show that he can independently be successful without a Belichick running his defense, Steve runs a defense somewhere else, there are many DC openings available.
Agreed. For the Belichick boys specifically they need to spread thier wings and make a separate name for themselves. I believe mayo will be given all the tools to thrive. He has the support of the organization. So finding a GM is next and then it's time to get rolling. I'll say this I believe this attracts alot of potential FAs.

same old, same for Defense woude be a really good thing
I've said many times we are a top 5 defense in the league at full strength. The only thing needed on defense is some depth at LB, DL and adding another stud CB to pair with gonzo. My choice is Jhaire Alexander in GB. If we could swing a trade for him would be awesome!

From my perch in Houston, watching Bill O'Brien destroy the Texans, I was skeptical of his hiring, but figured at least he would better than Patricia. I just don't see any evidence that he did one bit better. Arguably, the offense was worse this year. Granted, there were talent and injury issues, but I can't think of single moment this year thinking something like "what a great play call" or "what a great game plan." Sure enough, we start to hear "power/control" issues, which fits his profile. I really hope move on from this guy. Frankly, do we have a single keeper from the offensive side?

If Mayo want Steve as DC, he should offer him to position.

I've said many times we are a top 5 defense in the league at full strength. The only thing needed on defense is some depth at LB, DL and adding another stud CB to pair with gonzo. My choice is Jhaire Alexander in GB. If we could swing a trade for him would be awesome!
I think that we have a top 5 Defense.

My analysis is very different. I think that need is at free safety.

I think that we have a top 5 Defense.

My analysis is very different. I think that need is at free safety.
Free safety yes thanks for pointing that out.
The need is also at CB opposite Gonzo as I mentioned. Myles Bryant has moved up to "serviceable " Marcus is small and not an outside CB. Jon is 30 plus and injury prone, Wade... is getting better but nothing special, so I digress.. I'd like another top CB to pair with gonzo and the guy I want is jahaire Alexander

If Mayo want Steve as DC, he should offer him to position.
I don't think Steve is going to remain just my Lil Ol opinion. The guy I see become DC is Demarcus covington. Barmore and tavai credit him with coaching them into the players they have become.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back