PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB’s Assistants?

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that assistants who are still under contract need to seek permission to interview elsewhere for lateral moves. Kraft would need to grant that permission.
Without a coach, it would be hard to turn that down, no?

And if an assistant wants to leave for Belichick, it's going to be hard for Mayo or any coach to work with him.

Think of it this way: a guy has a job offer, but the boss doesn't want to let him leave, even though the new manager is probably going to fire him in 2 weeks.

Tough position for Kraft to be in.

Owner can tell a HC/GM - this guy is a precondition of your hire.

that Instead of good talent flying the coop searching for that security.
That doesn't sound like a good way to start the new era.

Check out the Giants. This doesn't seem to work out.

That doesn't sound like a good way to start the new era.

Check out the Giants. This doesn't seem to work out.
Didn’t say it is a universal answer; but I do have a 1-word answer in response to you:

Scarnecchia

Didn’t say it is a universal answer; but I do have a 1-word answer in response to you:

Scarnecchia
When Belichick came in, I was under the assumption that he WANTED Scarnecchia.

Remember, they had been on the same staff before.

Without a coach, it would be hard to turn that down, no?

And if an assistant wants to leave for Belichick, it's going to be hard for Mayo or any coach to work with him.

Think of it this way: a guy has a job offer, but the boss doesn't want to let him leave, even though the new manager is probably going to fire him in 2 weeks.

Tough position for Kraft to be in.
That’s happening all over the league though. If every team that just let their HC go gave blanket permission for their whole staff to go get new jobs elsewhere it would kind of be a free for all. Teams need to try to retain some of their coaching and executive talent if they can.

That’s happening all over the league though. If every team that just let their HC go gave blanket permission for their whole staff to go get new jobs elsewhere it would kind of be a free for all. Teams need to try to retain some of their coaching and executive talent if they can.
Has it backfired on anyone?

"Thanks for sticking around, you had a job a couple weeks ago, but now you don't. Sorry."

We’re probably looking at about ⅓ turnover at the very least, in the scenario where Mayo is HC and O’Brien stays at OC. In addition to some that will go with Bill, I think O’Brien would have the ability to make offensive changes.

In the scenario with a new HC with no previous Patriots ties, then we’d be better off talking about which one or two coaches are sticking around. That’s often how it works.
OFFENSE
BOB didn't get to name his position coaches in 2023. I'm sure that he can find a staff that can work well together, and one that will do a better job than this year's. He might keep one or two coaches, or not. BOB just wants a chance to build an Offense around a young quarterback.

DEFENSE
This is a huge problem. If someone other than Mayo is named HC, the others could all be gone. I suppose that is possible for BOB or Vrabel to be HC, and for them to convince Mayo to stay and have him influence others. More likely is that Mayo would lead the parade to getting interviews. It won't be hard for Mayo to look for promotions. He is position coach for half of the linebackers.

Rightly or wrongly, folks think that assurances were made to Mayo to get him to stay, even without a promotion. Mayo took the new contract (and bonus check) and immediately stopped interviewing. I don't think that Mayo would wait again. He was waiting to make decisions if Belichick were to leave. Well, Belichick is gone. There is no pressure on the Kraft's. They can sign who they wish. However, Mayo should do as the players' agreement provides, and interview for coordinator, assistant coach and head coaching jobs should requests for such interviews come.

When Belichick came in, I was under the assumption that he WANTED Scarnecchia.

Remember, they had been on the same staff before.
I mean, we can't know if he actually wanted him specifically, but I do know that Scarnecchia sold him on staying with the team, as he had done since Ray Berry was the coach.

I would expect the majority of the coaching staff to be gone.

From 1992 (**** McPherson) to 1993 (Bill Parcells), the only significant holdover was Dante Scarnecchia (as a defensive assistant).

From 1996 (Parcells) to 1997 (Pete Carroll) Scar was again the only holdover (moving from def asst/LB to special teams).

From 1999 (Carroll) to 2000 (Belichick) for a third time Scar was the only significant holdover (OL to asst HC/OL).

I didn't dig deep enough to look at the lower level assistants and strength coaches, but with the exception of Scar the new regime cleaned house in the past. If the Patriots bring in someone from outside the organization - which is what I would expect - there will likely be wholesale changes.

If Mayo gets the HC job though, then I would expect much of the defense to stay put. Then the question becomes whether or not he retains BoB.
iirc ivan fears survived the Belichick purge when he took over in 2000

Official New England Patriots News and Analysis

Coach List
Position (years). [thoughts]

Asst HC: Joe Judge (13) [see ya]

Agree, obviously. I'd fire him & Cant Assford both right ****ing now in fact.

OFFENSE:
OC/QB: Bill O’Brien (13) [ mmmh]
WR/KO Ret: Troy Brown (5): [let him go-sadly]
OL: Adrian Klemm (6): [?status/keeper?]
TE: Will Lawing (8) [ ?not special?]
RB: Vinnie Sunseri (5) [ ok ]
Asst QB: Evan Rothstein (12) [ ??, Results not +]
Asst OL: Billy Yates (12) [ also results not +; but w OL consistency pays]

I would be willing to give Obie & Klemm one more year; Everyone Else, however, Must Go.

DEFENSE:
LB: Jerod Mayo (5). [keep-promote]
LB: Steve Belichick (12) [ could keep, but he want to follow?]
S: Brian Belichick (8) [same as brother]
DL: Demarcus Covington (7) [good unit-keeper]
CB: Mike Pellegrino (9) [keeper?]
D Fellowships: Bentley (1) / Jones (1) [whatever]

Stevie & Brian will more likely than not follow dear old Dad wherever he goes, so we're going to need at least two new defensive coaches...
and I would really like to Upgrayedd the CBs Coach job too.

SP TEAMS:
ST Coord: Cam Achord (6) [do u have to ask?]
ST Asst: Joe Houston

Both. Gone.

STRENGTH
Head: Moses Cabrera (13) [think keeper]
Asst: Deron Mayo (6) [ think keeper/ related?]

Don't know... I'm still pissed-off that they fired Mike Woicik...

Last edited:

I would be willing to give Obie & Klemm one more year; Everyone Else, however, Must Go.

Stevie & Brian will more likely than not follow dear old Dad wherever he goes, so we're going to need at least two new defensive coaches...

Both. Gone.

No Klemm was a nightmare in Pitt and flipped on Groh and Wolf then left F hiim

Both. Gone.

I don't think that mayo will fire his brother.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back