PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB’s Assistants?

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So, we know BB is gone.
-How many of his assistants are tied to him?
-how many does RK really WANT to keep?

Your thoughts? Here the list of 19:
Official New England Patriots News and Analysis

Coach List
Position (years). [thoughts]

Asst HC: Joe Judge (13) [see ya]

OFFENSE:
OC/QB: Bill O’Brien (13) [ mmmh]
WR/KO Ret: Troy Brown (5): [let him go-sadly]
OL: Adrian Klemm (6): [?status/keeper?]
TE: Will Lawing (8) [ ?not special?]
RB: Vinnie Sunseri (5) [ ok ]
Asst QB: Evan Rothstein (12) [ ??, Results not +]
Asst OL: Billy Yates (12) [ also results not +; but w OL consistency pays]

DEFENSE:
LB: Jerod Mayo (5). [keep-promote]
LB: Steve Belichick (12) [ could keep, but he want to follow?]
S: Brian Belichick (8) [same as brother]
DL: Demarcus Covington (7) [good unit-keeper]
CB: Mike Pellegrino (9) [keeper?]
D Fellowships: Bentley (1) / Jones (1) [whatever]

SP TEAMS:
ST Coord: Cam Achord (6) [do u have to ask?]
ST Asst: Joe Houston

STRENGTH
Head: Moses Cabrera (13) [think keeper]
Asst: Deron Mayo (6) [ think keeper/ related?]

All coordinators and position coaches will be given the leeway to leave

Depending on who gets hired, you might keep some of them around

So, we know BB is gone.

Coach List

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

SP TEAMS:

STRENGTH
IMO, the only sure thing is for Judge to be gone; obviously, Achord should be gone also.

It is impossible to know about the others until we know who is HC, and OC.

If Mayo is coach, I presume that BOB will name his position coaches; ditto if BOB leaves and Josh comes in.

I would like to know how Bill is advising his kids. Sure, he could make a spot for them on a new team, but the patriots provide opportunities for them both.

On offense, Will Lawing is tied at the hip to BOB, so he'll be here if BOB is here. If BOB leaves then Lawing is gone. Evan Rothstein came over with Patricia from Detroit but has stayed, he has been talked up by people here and there but hard to say what his value is. Sunseri, Yates, Klemm, Troy Brown - none of them impress, IMO. I think offense needs to be retooled heavily even if BOB is still here.

On defense, depends heavily on who the next HC is. If it's Mayo, a lot of these guys could probably stay put. I also do wonder about Steve Belichick, and whether he might want to stay here out of his dad's shadow and prove himself for his own future prospects. Brian has a smaller footprint and probably is more likely to go with Bill.

That said, Bill is a defensive coach and will want some guys to come with him too. I have heard Pellegrino is a Bill loyalist and will probably want to follow Bill.

Special teams just needs a total overhaul regardless.

Strength and conditioning - I think this needs work. Too many injuries this year and in recent years. Something doesn't seem right to me.

On defense, depends heavily on who the next HC is. If it's Mayo, a lot of these guys could probably stay put. I also do wonder about Steve Belichick, and whether he might want to stay here out of his dad's shadow and prove himself for his own future prospects. Brian has a smaller footprint and probably is more likely to go with Bill.
I was thinking this might be a good time for Steve and Brian to distance themselves from their dad. Steve in particular might look to join another team, although staying in Foxboro would also do a lot to establish him as being on his own. Might be some complications because of his dad’s ties to the place being so pervasive.

I was thinking this might be a good time for Steve and Brian to distance themselves from their dad. Steve in particular might look to join another team, although staying in Foxboro would also do a lot to establish him as being on his own. Might be some complications because of his dad’s ties to the place being so pervasive.
Yeah, NE would be a possible opportunity for Steve to prove he's a good DC, but the ghost of Bill in the building might make it a little weird? But, if it's Mayo or Vrabel as HC who were both Bill disciples as well (both as players, one as coach), it probably makes it less weird.

It is not really on Kraft at this point. It is on the new coach and determining the fit.

It may actually be RK. We'll have to wait and see.
Well, obviously the next HC gets ”his guys” yes. BUT… RK writes the checks.

man w the $ gets what he wants. If he has some he likes; RK can give some folks job security promise in the likely month long process.

Owner can tell a HC/GM - this guy is a precondition of your hire.

that Instead of good talent flying the coop searching for that security.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is that assistants who are still under contract need to seek permission to interview elsewhere for lateral moves. Kraft would need to grant that permission.

And is there any extra draft picks if Mayo is promoted to HC on the Patriots (not another team).

I would expect the majority of the coaching staff to be gone.

From 1992 (**** McPherson) to 1993 (Bill Parcells), the only significant holdover was Dante Scarnecchia (as a defensive assistant).

From 1996 (Parcells) to 1997 (Pete Carroll) Scar was again the only holdover (moving from def asst/LB to special teams).

From 1999 (Carroll) to 2000 (Belichick) for a third time Scar was the only significant holdover (OL to asst HC/OL).

I didn't dig deep enough to look at the lower level assistants and strength coaches, but with the exception of Scar the new regime cleaned house in the past. If the Patriots bring in someone from outside the organization - which is what I would expect - there will likely be wholesale changes.

If Mayo gets the HC job though, then I would expect much of the defense to stay put. Then the question becomes whether or not he retains BoB.

And is there any extra draft picks if Mayo is promoted to HC on the Patriots (not another team).
No. They only get picks if the minority candidate is hired elsewhere:

"Clubs that develop a diverse employee who is hired in the position of Primary Football Executive or Head Coach at another club, will receive a draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory draft pick in the third round in each of the next two drafts. If a club has two employees hired for either a head coach or GM position, then that club will receive third-round compensatory pick in the next three drafts."

Actually incentivizes the team NOT to hire Mayo, in a way, as him leaving to be an HC elsewhere would give them draft picks.

We’re probably looking at about ⅓ turnover at the very least, in the scenario where Mayo is HC and O’Brien stays at OC. In addition to some that will go with Bill, I think O’Brien would have the ability to make offensive changes.

In the scenario with a new HC with no previous Patriots ties, then we’d be better off talking about which one or two coaches are sticking around. That’s often how it works.

We’re probably looking at about ⅓ turnover at the very least, in the scenario where Mayo is HC and O’Brien stays at OC. In addition to some that will go with Bill, I think O’Brien would have the ability to make offensive changes.

In the scenario with a new HC with no previous Patriots ties, then we’d be better off talking about which one or two coaches are sticking around. That’s often how it works.
I hope BOB goes don't like his outdated Offense. :headscratch:

So, we know BB is gone.

Coach List

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

SP TEAMS:

STRENGTH
Hopefully Kraft will make his decision soon, so they can decide if they need to start making plans leave.

Hopefully Kraft will make his decision soon, so they can decide if they need to start making plans leave.

The advantage they have is that ther leading candidates are not under contract to other teams. I would like to see either Vrabel or Mayo agree to bring MacDaniels in, and they can talk to either candidate about that right now. They will need to abide by the spirit of the Rooney Rule, and bring other candidates in, so they will wait to name the new HC, but it’s a pretty good bet it will be one of those two.

Bentley signed with WV

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back