PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Is Chris Long an upgrade from Chandler Jones?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is Chris Long an upgrade from Chandler Jones?

• If he can stay healthy, then yes

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • Need to see more, but so far, I like what I see!

Votes: 99 50.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
At this stage, I'm voting yes mainly because I haven't seen Long disappear like Jones. Long, to my eyes, does not take plays off. Jones on the other hand, flapped his hands around like a flamingo pretending to be at max effort only to be blocked into the ground.

Both Long and Jones seem to have landed in great personal situations. At this stage, I'm happy with what's transpired.

Long had 41.5 sacks in the four seasons between 2010 and 2013 when he was healthy. 10+ a year average. Plus, he plays the run better. He's certainly in the same ballpark as Jones at the very least.

Most definitely. The guy's never out of a play, he's relentless, most important puts constant "pressure" on opposing QBs. It may not always reflect on the stat sheet, but it damn sure is appreciated on the hoodie sheet. CJ was probably slightly better against the run. As stated many times before, pressure is a more accurate measure of the pass rush effect. Sacks can sometimes be overrated. Lastly, Long's a prototypical Patriot.

Chandler Jones was drafted, groomed,coached in OUR system and you say long is a prototypical patriot and jones isn't? Where'd you come up with that baloney?

Chandler Jones grew up in the patriots system. long didn't.

Well it's Bills week next week so this would be Chandler's game to get 3 garbage time sacks. J/k love the guy, and it seems backwards to me to **** on the guy when he was part of a SB champion and mostly a really good player - but not great, franchise-level money DE - while he was here. He wasn't Prime Seymour or Wilfork and short of that level of play a DL was never going to get paid here. And that's ok.

Liking Long so far - I think he looks like an excellent BB veteran pickup who can fill a similar role at a reduced cost. And you know he wants to ****ing win, he's balls to the wall he's just gotta hold up. Let's get his brother on the OL also. Who could we trade for him...

Jones gets held on nearly every pass rush. It was so seldom called. Dudes adam's apple must be made of steel he gets hooked by the throat so much.

Not sure it's a fair comparison at all. Long is coming to a team with a very polished group and gets to be cycled in and out with effective sub rushers.
When jones came here, our defense was a disaster. We had Vince and mayo and nothing else. Heck, back then, ninko was about the most disliked player on the team. Jones immediately gave us something we needed badly, and gave us consistency at a position we desparately needed it.

I began championing the cause for trading jones and signing Long back in December last year. With that said, if all things were equal, I would have loved to have seen what a healthy Jones could have done with this team. Fortunately, Long has been a perfect fit for this team at this point, and looks to be his healthiest in years.

I won't say one was better than the other. We were/are blessed to have had both.

About Jones, he really never improved from year 1 to year 3. He was a consistently performing, valuable A-player each season. We saw that year 1, year 2 and year 3, but where was the breakout? Is there one to come? So, I think BB made a smart move trading him now, before year 4 - most likely, another A- season. He's a A- player. Which isn't bad per se, but that's about it. Not a game changer. Trade him, take the picks, and never look back.

Long has given you about 95% that if not more (not sure that'll hold for the year), but give me 4 B+ players for the price of one A- any day of the week. This isn't basketball, you need more than 7 guys in your rotation.

Well so far Long hasn't shown up kneeling in the Foxborough police parking lot so that's an improvement.

IMO skill wise no. I'd say about even but when Jones's was on he was DOMINANT.

He did have consistency issues but overall he was a solid player for us.

Long with his contract at 2 million however I take all day over jones at 10+ million.

Chandler Jones was drafted, groomed,coached in OUR system and you say long is a prototypical patriot and jones isn't? Where'd you come up with that baloney?

Could be that Long is another vet playing balls to the wall and reviving his career here while chandler was a guy who IMO never really reached his physical potential, like Dobson though obviously better. Speaking of Dobson, he was groomed in our system, but its clear to see that chris hogan in his short time here is more of a pats guy and a better fit here.

Even when Jones was still with us, I'm pretty sure most of us here felt he was a guy we wanted to be elite, but he never quite reached it. Could he make some plays that Long likely cannot? Sure, but same could be said other way around. Very happy with the way this has turned out.

Lol come on man. Chris Long may be a great leader have a good motor and be playing very effectively this year, but Chandler is on a different level than long. Not a fair comparison. Chandler is an elite pass rusher good run stuffer and very vocal leader (listen to his MICed up). Chandler is better period. And don't give me that baloney about long being better for our system.

So many patsfans downplay the accomplishments of ex patriots. Guys like Welker Martin Samuel Revis Seymour did great things for us and patsfans downplay what they did because they don't play for us anymore

Cant call anyone elite if 90% of their contributions happen before December. I take him on his rookie contract but definitely not on any big money contract.

The thing I like about Long over Jones is the fact that Long cannot be neutralized simply by the uncalled half-nelson that I remember always happening to Jones.

Maybe if Jones ever got the holding calls he deserved I would like him more than Long. But as things are, I prefer the fact that Long can't be easily shut down with an arm around the neck.

Honestly, I'm not even sure Long has a neck which is a clear advantage!

Coincidently, Curran weighed in on this question just today:

...through three games, Long seems to me a much better defensive fit for this team than Chandler Jones. Jones was the more explosive pass-rusher but Long’s ability in the running game, and his play-in, play-out impact in applying pressure on the tackle in front of him makes it seem so far as if he’s an upgrade.

I really like Jones but he could not maintain the same level of excellence for the whole season and playoffs.
I like Long too, if he can maintain this same level of play for the rest of the season and playoffs, then I would say it's an upgrade but it's really too soon to make that call right now.

First of all, get your facts straight chief. I never once uttered the words "CJ isn't/ wasn't a prototypical Patriot."
Second of all, yea CJ was drafted, groomed & coached in our system......but....was wildly inconsistent....disappeared during the second half of seasons (almost every season) & often in big games.
Also, since you want to bring up the "drafted, groomed, & coached in OUR system" argument, lets do that.

How many "prototypical Patriots" were NOT "drafted, groomed & coached" in OUR system????
MANY!

Junior Seau

Rodney Harrison (He JUST had an "A football Life" documentary made about him 2 days ago. Did you miss that??????)

Mike Vrabel
Wes Welker
Randy Moss (from 2007-2009...started to show discord in early 2010 before his trade to MIN)

David Patten
Joe Andruzzi
Mike Compton
Adam Vinatieri
Larry Izzo
Roman Phifer
Otis Smith
Corey Dillon (for a short time)
Heath Evans
Roosevelt Colvin
Rob Ninkovich
Danny Woodhead
Brian Waters
Mark Anderson
Andre Carter
Kyle Arrington
Sterling Moore
Aqib Talib
LaGarette Blount
Malcolm Butler
James Develin
Steve Gregory
Akeem Ayers
Brandon Browner
Darrelle Revis
Alan Branch
Jabaal Sheard
Jonathan Freeny
Anthony Johnson
Akiem Hicks
Dion Lewis
Chris Hogan

So, my point is; while not all these players were/ are star players, they were ALL either undrafted, traded for, or acquired by the Pats, came in, put their heads down/ egos aside & embodied the Patriot Way (which made the prototypical Patriot while they WERE HERE playing for our organization.)

Also, if you really want to split hairs; didn't YOUR PROTOTYPICAL PATRIOT CHANDLER JONES
show up a police station with a bad reaction to synthetic marijuana in Jan??? Pretty Patriotic, huh?????

Your move....

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back