PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Is Chris Long an upgrade from Chandler Jones?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is Chris Long an upgrade from Chandler Jones?

• If he can stay healthy, then yes

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • Need to see more, but so far, I like what I see!

Votes: 99 50.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sidegrade. Which is a win considering we traded Chandler for a #2 and an OL who may or may not be imaginary.

Lol come on man. Chris Long may be a great leader have a good motor and be playing very effectively this year, but Chandler is on a different level than long. Not a fair comparison. Chandler is an elite pass rusher good run stuffer and very vocal leader (listen to his MICed up). Chandler is better period. And don't give me that baloney about long being better for our system.

So many patsfans downplay the accomplishments of ex patriots. Guys like Welker Martin Samuel Revis Seymour did great things for us and patsfans downplay what they did because they don't play for us anymore
You apparently didn't watch Long during his good years in SL when he was healthy. He was every bit the player Jones is.

Lol come on man. Chris Long may be a great leader have a good motor and be playing very effectively this year, but Chandler is on a different level than long. Not a fair comparison. Chandler is an elite pass rusher good run stuffer and very vocal leader (listen to his MICed up). Chandler is better period. And don't give me that baloney about long being better for our system.

So many patsfans downplay the accomplishments of ex patriots. Guys like Welker Martin Samuel Revis Seymour did great things for us and patsfans downplay what they did because they don't play for us anymore
Jones also took alot of plays off or should I say games.... I liked him, but Eilte... Not so much !

Long is awesome
Jones sucks

If he stays healthy, absolutely, no question. He is someone other teams need to plan for unlike AD, IMHO.

I've been really consistent about saying that Chandler Jones is a physical specimen but he has ZERO pass rush moves and his discipline in setting the edge is suspect. So yes, Long is a much better FIT for our system.

Chris Long is more consistent, constantly getting pressure, doesn't get on the stat sheet but he's helped a few plays so far. CJ was more boom or bust. And still is even with the Cardinals.

No, not yet. I like what Long has done so far, but hasn't been as good as Jones was last year so far. And that's fine, he doesn't need to be and isn't paid to be. He, Flowers and Sheard are all stepping up extremely well in Jones' and Ninkovich's absence.

And I still love the trade for the Pats. The trade was entirely about getting value for a player they knew they wouldn't be able to sign, then using his cap space to sign multiple players. The fact that there's even a conversation to be had re: Long and Jones is a win.

No. Jones is a better player overall but Long is having a good year. Jones has failed to stay healthy at times and Long might be the better player for our particular system that ask DEs to run block a lot which is something Long appears to do better than Jones.

Upside, no, he is not better, Jones can explode for 3 sacks in a game. But, that's where long has been better so far, Long is a consistent annoyance in the backfield, something Jones struggled to do on a regular basis.

Through 3 games, I'm going to say that we've seen more from Long than we would have from Jones, were he still here.

Chris Long has been far more consistent.

I would still take Chandler Jones whenever Chandler is hot, though. Just all depends on what Chandler you're getting.

Jones has never, at any point in time, contributed anything meaningful after Thanksgiving weekend. If Long can do so, then he's definitely an upgrade.

I'd say so. Though the sample size is small, Long is aking plays that are impacting the game.
We will have to see how Long's health endures throughout the season *fingers crossed*.

In terms of athleticism, I'd give the edge to Jones. But in terms of hunger, Long is playing like a man on a mission versus Jones being a little too relaxed. Like he's been passing the refer a bit too often...

They're different types of players. When you put long, Sheard and Flowers in there, we are better. Sheard and Flowers might reproduce Jones outside rush better than Long, but they are all versatile.

Most definitely. The guy's never out of a play, he's relentless, most important puts constant "pressure" on opposing QBs. It may not always reflect on the stat sheet, but it damn sure is appreciated on the hoodie sheet. CJ was probably slightly better against the run. As stated many times before, pressure is a more accurate measure of the pass rush effect. Sacks can sometimes be overrated. Lastly, Long's a prototypical Patriot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye