PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Mac Jones "tank" us into the #1 Overall Pick? Is that why he's still our starter?

If a coaching staff is unsure of their future with their current team, then naturally they'll play anybody & everybody who they believe gives them a better chance to win... A staff secure in their future, however, would take the rest of a season such as this one - after first trading as many of their vets on the last year of their contracts, and whom the team does not plan to re-sign to a large or perhaps even to a competitive ex-tension, as possible - to further evaluate young/inexperienced players while at the same time also give those veterans nursing injuries And signed through at least the following season some much-needed R & R - which is Egg-Zactly what Bill should've done during 2020, BTW.
They should have started the rebuild in 2020. I agree. They should have just done it then and we may be further in the process by now.

They should have started the rebuild in 2020. I agree. They should have just done it then and we may be further in the process by now.

You could say we screwed up by winning 7 games and lowering our draft stock.

But at the end of the day if we have a higher pick and still whiff on every pick doesn't change much.

Many teams rebuild while being winning teams just by solid drafting. I mean Seahawks never really stopped being a winning team.

You rebuild your roster through the draft and then resign your young talent. That's how teams rebuild. Instead we are whiffing on the draft, bill let's the young talent go that he has (Duggar/onwenu not offered extensions) and we have to overpay other teams players...

I am in the same boat as you. My ideal scenario is based on the understanding that Maye and Williams are too risky to draft with a top two pick.
Then maybe we could trade down in the first and have two lower first round picks and a top of the round second round pick to find someone.

Then maybe we could trade down in the first and have two lower first round picks and a top of the round second round pick to find someone.
If we pick 3rd, I’d do it if we trade down a little. But, get a 1st next year. Get a T. I’d trade for Justin Fields if Bears take Caleb at 1. Could move back into first for another WR.

Offense adds; Fields, T & WR in draft. A wr in free agency. Higgins/Pittman/Jeudy We’re significantly better on offense. I’d offer Chicago a 2 in 2025 for Fields. But, we’re getting a 1 because of trade down.

If Fields sucks, we’re in good position to draft a QB next year. I just am not a big fan of Maye.

Hahaha... we missed out on Zach Wilson, Justin Fields and Trey Lance.

That's what a "tank" would have yielded us. What am I missing?

I don’t believe tanking stories in the NFL unless the alleged tanking is accomplished by a management team with job security. A rookie GM who didn’t create the team’s talent deficiency can keep younger, developing players over veterans to “keep an eye for the future”. Or a new HC who has 3 or 4 years to turn the team around could keep slightly injured players inactive out of “caution” during a lost season. But guys like Belichick who are on the brink of getting fired don’t tank IMO. It would have to be a conspiracy involving Kraft, who ensures him he won’t lose his job…

Trading down is punting on the decision to select a QB because you're scared to screw it up.

I don’t believe tanking stories in the NFL unless the alleged tanking is accomplished by a management team with job security. A rookie GM who didn’t create the team’s talent deficiency can keep younger, developing players over veterans to “keep an eye for the future”. Or a new HC who has 3 or 4 years to turn the team around could keep slightly injured players inactive out of “caution” during a lost season. But guys like Belichick who are on the brink of getting fired don’t tank IMO. It would have to be a conspiracy involving Kraft, who ensures him he won’t lose his job…
BB is not in danger of being fired.

The tank job is working flawlessly. Somehow the Pats must lose this game.

Didn’t we also miss out on Lamar years prior?
Imagine a world where Tom Brady gives up money to win championships and the Pat’s draft a QB who won’t help that endeavor. They missed on N’Keal but at least they tried to get him a weapon.

Oh yeah, and Lamar has one playoff victory in his entire career and it came against the worst defense in the playoffs. You could have brought a better example.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back