PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Mac Jones "tank" us into the #1 Overall Pick? Is that why he's still our starter?

sb: we know how you are a Mac apologist but but he hasn't shown any ability. I think if Mac had Elite Options he would find away to make them look bad. Yes he's that bad: It's really hard to defend Mac Jones even the Blind can see that.
The offense stinks and is not just a QB change away from being good. I hope you at least agree with that.

Bill watches zappe every day in practice. Clearly he thinks Mac as bad as he is gives them the best chance to win.

Unless you somehow have a better read on zappe because you watched him play 3 games last year and some mop up duty than the coaching staff...
Still trolling for your boy Mac after all this?

Even Rob has closed up shop.

The offense stinks and is not just a QB change away from being good. I hope you at least agree with that.
Yeah I'm not against moving on from BOB either his Offense is not innovative at all seems a little dated.

Reactions: sb1
Bill watches zappe every day in practice. Clearly he thinks Mac as bad as he is gives them the best chance to win.

Unless you somehow have a better read on zappe because you watched him play 3 games last year and some mop up duty than the coaching staff...
That don't mean crap BB watched Harry - Deebo Samel and A.J. Brown and came away thinking Harry was better.:mad: Me not in a million years and Kraft ain't paying me 20 Mill. Your take on this current Coaching Staff is overrated their overall Coaching is as bad as Mac Jones @ QB.

Still trolling for your boy Mac after all this?

Even Rob has closed up shop.
And can't get back in.
Struggling Locked Out GIF by VVS FILMS

That don't mean crap BB watched Harry - Deebo Samel and A.J. Brown and came away thinking Harry was better.:mad: Me not in a million years and Kraft ain't paying me 20 Mill. Your take on this current Coaching Staff is overrated their overall Coaching is as bad as Mac Jones @ QB.
RI is not wrong though. Zappe isn't an NFL caliber QB and he'll be out the door at the end of the season. The Pats gain nothing by starting him.

The rest of the league agrees with me. Otherwise at least one of them would have taken him for free this past August on the waiver wire.

All this talk about who will start is pretty much moot. At this point, ALL of our options at QB stink to high heaven. Mac seemingly had some potential, but the incompetence of his HC/GM has ensured that any chance he may have had at success would be still born.

Let the damned string play out. Due diligence re the qb decision can easily be accomplished via a couple minutes of paper/scissors/rock.

This **** is over.

Trading your rookie QB after they have a good first season would be the dumbest move any GM would make. No teams do that even after poor rookie seasons.

Id they did josh Allen, Tua and Jaylen hurts wouldn't be with their current teams.

That's just a dumb dumb take

Assuming we draft someone this year and their first season is okay. I'm guessing we trade them? For fear they may end up being bad?
Mac Jones sucks. You just have **** evaluation. You pretend you were right even though you were wrong because “how could anyone have been right other than blind luck?” That’s just a dumb dumb take.

Mac Jones sucks. You just have **** evaluation. You pretend you were right even though you were wrong because “how could anyone have been right other than blind luck?” That’s just a dumb dumb take.

I still like Mac Jones, but he has no tools to work with. The coaching would be good, if they had the players. It is the GM, ahem, that is the problem; there have been a whole series of horrific whiffs in FA and the draft...

The Patriots were on a cliff edge last off season. If they had not been such damn cheapskates in the FA period and gotten a couple of quality, number one WRs and OLinemen, the whole season would have been so much better. Last season was their last chance; now they suck so bad no one is going to want to play for the Patriots....they are stuck in the basement for the foreseeable future.

And since the Patriots decided to be cheap in the FA market, I have to wonder if the fans will be cheap with the Patriots and not buy tickets or merchandise....

I still like Mac Jones
I don’t. I was mostly out on him after his rookie year. 100% out after last year.

I was in the camp that we should have moved on this offseason.

Doesn’t have the mental or the emotional make up of a starting QB. Doesn’t have the necessary tool physically to be a starting QB. He needs a perfect situation to be average which gives no margin for error on the roster building side. I am sure he is well liked in the locker room but he is not a leader.

In my view, there was no need for a genius to figure out that the franchise was going nowhere with him and every year he is the starting QB for this team is a lost year.

but he is not a leader.
No he isn't unfortunately. Adversity is not his friend.

I get the same vibe about Caleb Williams to be honest. I hope the Pats do their due diligence and not make a terrible mistake this spring.

Lots of Mac vitriol, whatever that means, but I am not so sure. It is easy to blame the QB when a team sucks. I don't think that there is any QB that could win with the current OL and WRs. The line cannot protect Mac and cannot open running lanes. Combine that with WRs (with one exception) who cannot get open and the deck is stacked again any QB who would try to play here.

And yes, sigh, I expect that the Patriot will draft around 8th; the defense is good and if they can just get a small smidgen of offense,... And youse guys are gonna say, "Tanks for nuthin'"
You're one of the last of the holdouts.

Like Outlaw Joisey Wales.

The Union couldn't bring him and make him heel.

I still like Mac Jones, but he has no tools to work with. The coaching would be good, if they had the players. It is the GM, ahem, that is the problem; there have been a whole series of horrific whiffs in FA and the draft...

The Patriots were on a cliff edge last off season. If they had not been such damn cheapskates in the FA period and gotten a couple of quality, number one WRs and OLinemen, the whole season would have been so much better. Last season was their last chance; now they suck so bad no one is going to want to play for the Patriots....they are stuck in the basement for the foreseeable future.

And since the Patriots decided to be cheap in the FA market, I have to wonder if the fans will be cheap with the Patriots and not buy tickets or merchandise....
This.

Thankfully Bill is at the end of the line as far as GM goes and everyone knows it. Hopefully the same is true for his coaching.

I didn't say he doesn't suck. But trading him after his rookie year would've been poor management.

No team ever would dump their rookie even if they played like garbage their rookie year.

After year 3 is when that decision is made

I was a Mac supporter till he missed the wide open gesicki touchdown and dropped a dolly to colts CB.

He was setup for failure here. Wishing him and bill belichick good luck as they embark on new ventures outside the pats.

If the Pats can lose their last seven games (only the Giants suck like them), we are guaranteed a franchise quarterback with one of the first two picks. Justin Herbert was just a poor man's Drake Maye coming out. Caleb Williams makes the football field a playground, just like Patrick Mahomes. This is the year to get a QB! Victory is loss.

It's a bizarre thing - celebrating failure. I fall into the same camp as @sb1, @Rob0729, and others where the hope was that Mac would be adequate and at least be OK enough to be an average quarterback. Pointing to areas where there was reason to believe he could be better was strictly for the sake of hoping he could at least guide the offense and help them score points behind this defense.

I get others had higher expectations, given who was here before him, but I was hoping for a season that at least resembled what we saw in 2021. Demanding better is great and all - but it's also unrealistic because we're going to have periods where "just ok" is all there is until "great" falls back into our laps again.

The "I told you so" crowd - while I understand your glee for the sake of being right - I don't know how much of a victory lap that's really worth. We all lose because now it means they also have to address that position again instead of adding talent, which essentially includes having to start all over.

We all lose in this scenario. And that's unfortunate, given what's likely ahead. I think @patfanken also falls into this category when it comes to being frustrated by how this has played out and some of the reactions. Having an adequate player isn't settling, it's allowing for a placeholder so they can keep drafting someone else and hopefully eventually end up with a superior player. The last guy beat everyone out. That obviously won't be the case now, but being realistic on how the process goes is how we'll all need to be for the sake of maintaining our sanities.

I expect this to be a long seven weeks, so let's try and at least hope for some good moments mixed in and root for whoever is back there. Hopefully whoever it is gives us something to look forward to until they have a shot at whoever when the time comes. At least for the sake of trying to raise the mood here a bit in the coming weeks.

I didn't say he doesn't suck. But trading him after his rookie year would've been poor management.

No team ever would dump their rookie even if they played like garbage their rookie year.

After year 3 is when that decision is made
I would have traded him while his stock was fools-gold high after his first year, robbed some other team with his ******** training wheel stats, and it would of been 4D genius management.

It's a bizarre thing - celebrating failure. I fall into the same camp as @sb1, @Rob0729, and others where the hope was that Mac would be adequate and at least be OK enough to be an average quarterback. Pointing to areas where there was reason to believe he could be better was strictly for the sake of hoping he could at least guide the offense and help them score points behind this defense.

I get others had higher expectations, given who was here before him, but I was hoping for a season that at least resembled what we saw in 2021. Demanding better is great and all - but it's also unrealistic because we're going to have periods where "just ok" is all there is until "great" falls back into our laps again.

The "I told you so" crowd - while I understand your glee for the sake of being right - I don't know how much of a victory lap that's really worth. We all lose because now it means they also have to address that position again instead of adding talent, which essentially includes having to start all over.

We all lose in this scenario. And that's unfortunate, given what's likely ahead. I think @patfanken also falls into this category when it comes to being frustrated by how this has played out and some of the reactions. Having an adequate player isn't settling, it's allowing for a placeholder so they can keep drafting someone else and hopefully eventually end up with a superior player. The last guy beat everyone out. That obviously won't be the case now, but being realistic on how the process goes is how we'll all need to be for the sake of maintaining our sanities.

I expect this to be a long seven weeks, so let's try and at least hope for some good moments mixed in and root for whoever is back there. Hopefully whoever it is gives us something to look forward to until they have a shot at whoever when the time comes. At least for the sake of trying to raise the mood here a bit in the coming weeks.
I think if you look at the development or lack there of objectively it’s pretty clear.

In his rookie season McDaniels did a great job of handcuffing him to keep him from making mistakes. He rarely threw the ball down the field and when he did it was a one read play. With a strong defense that worked ok until the book was out. That style of play can’t work until defenses figure you out. It wasn’t sustainable.
But you hope he builds on that.
The first sign of trouble was early last season when he was either asked to or decided to throw the ball down the field. He made horrible decisions, was late and indecisive and threw a bunch of picks. Then he got hurt and came back with no identity. People blame the coaches but the offense looked good when 10 wasn’t in there. When he came back it became impotent again.
So blame the coaches, being in BOB who has been pretty successful with every qb he’s had, and there is hope.
I’ve watched a lot of film. Receivers are open. That doesn’t mean there are great receivers. NFL passing offenses are designed to get receivers open. Combo routes vs zone, pick plays and stacks vs man, etc etc. Every team has open receivers. 10 doesn’t find them. Not the right ones and not in time.
If receivers weren’t open, he couldn’t be completing 66.2% of his passes. The problem is he is completing them either to the wrong guy or at the wrong time.
Brady didn’t make the weapons better because he threw a magic ball. What he did was understand the concept of the play, know what to read, and delivered ON TIME to the right target. 10 just doesn’t do that.
If you watch games on all22 it’s easy to see based upon the routes what the play was meant to accomplish. And good QBs get the ball where it’s supposed to go. 10 doesn’t do that. It’s as if instead of knowing what to do (which he should because he knows the routes, the objective and can read their defense) he’s dropping back and looking around to see what happens.

This isn’t a SB caliber team. Few rebuilding teams can get there that quickly. 10 isn’t holding back a title run. But 10 is directly responsible for at least 3 losses that wouldn’t have happened (Indy, LV, wash) if he were just a bad starter. You can’t tell how many more the team could have win if he were average or good. If he wasn’t dragging the team down it would be right where a rebuilding team would be expected to be very average for a few years waiting to make a run when it all comes together.

And that’s where it will be when 10 is replaced. If it’s an average QB they will be an average or better team, still finishing the rebuild process.

If the Pats can lose their last seven games (only the Giants suck like them), we are guaranteed a franchise quarterback with one of the first two picks. Justin Herbert was just a poor man's Drake Maye coming out. Caleb Williams makes the football field a playground, just like Patrick Mahomes. This is the year to get a QB! Victory is loss.
When it comes to franchise QBs there are no guarantees, especially if the Pats have #2.
  • 1993. DREW BLEDSOE, NE. RICK MIRER, SEA. ...
  • 1998. PEYTON MANNING. RYAN LEAF. ...
  • 1999. TIM COUCH. DONOVAN McNABB. ...
  • 2012. ANDREW LUCK. ROBERT GRIFFIN III. ...
  • 2015. JAMEIS WINSTON. MARCUS MARIOTA. ...
  • 2016. JARED GOFF. CARSON WENTZ. ...
  • 2021. TREVOR LAWRENCE. ZACH WILSON.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes