PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Mac Jones "tank" us into the #1 Overall Pick? Is that why he's still our starter?

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So looking at the latest mock draft rankings has the Patriots hanging tough at the #3 draft spot with a 2-8 record. We've only been outlost by the Panthers at 1-9 and the Cardinals at 2-9. The Bears own the Panthers pick though so they are the team we'd need to talk to if a trade is needed.

Tankathon draft order: Tankathon | 2024 NFL Draft Order

So real talk. Are the Patriots trying to indirectly tank by running Mac Jones out there the rest of the season?
He's the worst starting QB in the NFL with 10 INTs to 10 TDs and a lackluster 6.3 yards per attempt.
The Patriots offense is scoring a paltry 14.1 ppg good for 31st in the league.

You'd think a man as intellectual as BB would have heard the mantra the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing but expecting different results.
But according to recent news, Mac Jones was taking 1st team snaps in practice which indicates to me he intends to do just that - run out Mac Jones until the tires fall off, and expect a different result... how?!

In any case, I suppose running Mac Jones out there gives you the best chance to LOSE. But is that really what he wants to be doing when his job is clearly in the hot seat and Bob Kraft and Jonathan Kraft will be scrutinizing each game going forward with a very close eye?

Your thoughts guys. Is BB actually playing the long game and forcing Mac into these starts so he can get a top draft pick and essentially get a 'redo' couple of seasons by picking a new QB1 in the draft? If BB is still in New England at the end of the season does that mean that Mac Jones is a goner? It feels like SOMEBODY has to take the fall! You can't perform this pathetically without some heads rolling!

So looking at the latest mock draft rankings has the Patriots hanging tough at the #3 draft spot with a 2-8 record. We've only been outlost by the Panthers at 1-9 and the Cardinals at 2-9. The Bears own the Panthers pick though so they are the team we'd need to talk to if a trade is needed.

So real talk. Are the Patriots trying to indirectly tank by running Mac Jones out there the rest of the season?
He's the worst starting QB in the NFL with 10 INTs to 10 TDs and a lackluster 6.3 yards per attempt.

You'd think a man as intellectual as BB would have heard the mantra the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing but expecting different results.
But according to recent news, Mac Jones was taking 1st team snaps in practice which indicates to me he intends to do just that - run out Mac Jones until the tires fall off, and expect a different result... how?!

In any case, I suppose running Mac Jones out there gives you the best chance to LOSE. But is that really what he wants to be doing when his job is clearly in the hot seat and Bob Kraft and Jonathan Kraft will be scrutinizing each game going forward with a very close eye?

Your thoughts guys. Is BB actually playing the long game and forcing Mac into these starts so he can get a top draft pick and essentially get a 'redo' couple of seasons by picking a new QB1 in the draft? If BB is still in New England at the end of the season does that mean that Mac Jones is a goner? It feels like SOMEBODY has to take the fall! You can't perform this pathetically without some heads rolling!
Until the tires fall off? We've been riding on the rims for a few games. I still think BB will play whoever gives us the best chance to win, if it's Mac, then it will be Mac. Personally, I'd like to see Grier but we might win a few games with him which would mess up our draft position.

At this stage I hope we keep losing. Aren’t we in #2 pick territory? We should be hoping to lose next week.
Believe we’re slated at 3 right now

At this stage I hope we keep losing. Aren’t we in #2 pick territory? We should be hoping to lose next week.

Agreed, I actually care about the season again..... Only because I now care if we win or lose.... Unfortunately, probably for the first time ever, I'm rooting HARD for the latter. I'm a huge fan of whoever we are playing that week.

Giants won today. Arizona hasn’t had their bye yet. If both NE and Arizona were to lose the rest of their games the Pats would get the 2 pick.

Last edited:
morgan freeman GIF

the in game coaching decisions, roster selection, and gameplans on offense and defense are doing a good enough job tanking...the quarterback is secondary or tertiary

the in game coaching decisions, roster selection, and gameplans on offense and defense are doing a good enough job tanking...the quarterback is secondary or tertiary
Oh I agree there are a lot of guilty parties who conspired to brew up this poopoo platter of pathetic performances we've seen this season.

But perhaps you underestimate Mac Jones will to lose! He has nearly mastered the art of the deer in headlights look from phantom pressures, missing wide open receivers on well drawn up plays, throwing off his back foot while throwing up fluttering ducks, and of course throwing the ball directly to the opposing team at the worst possible times to kill any chance the offense might have had to score a touchdown!

Yes, it's true, Mac Jones has the look of a shell shock victim, and his second season of development was wasted by BB installing Patricia and Joe Judge in charge of the offense. But in year 3, Jones has a proper OC in BOB now, yet he has shown he is what he is, which is a hot mess.

The only question is how far will he fall before he hits rock bottom? We thought rock bottom was the Dallas game but Jones outdid himself during the Colts game!

MV5BNjU0NDUyODg2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzgyOTA5._V1_.jpg

It feels like the only light at the end of the tunnel is a top 2 pick to secure an alternative choice at QB. Certainly if Zappe, Cunningham, and Grier can't even get off the bench with Jones constantly effing up every week, the cupboard is truly BARE at the most crucial position in football!

Lance got a 4th and he’s done way less in the league than Mac has. I think Pats should at least ask for that.
At least Lance did not show that he is losing games for you if you start him

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back