PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where Mac Jones fits in Pats History

Reaction score
The Patriots have used pick #15 twice on quarterbacks in their franchise history. If Mac Jones does not play again this year, the first three playing season's results are creepy:

Player:_________ Games Started_______Yards_____Touchdowns____Interceptions
Mac Jones _____________ 41______________8,829 _________46____________34
Tony Eason ____________ 37______________8,712__________53____________35

By these metrics, other than interceptions, Eason was the significantly better quarterback. And he did this in an era where receivers could be mangled and quarterbacks were fair game to be mutilated, unlike today where the game is heavily weighted in favor of offenses.

Oh yes, Eason was horrible. What does that say about Mac? Please reply and tell me if the numbers lie....

Nfl Draft Hello GIF by New England Patriots

Excited Football GIF by New England Patriots

Dance Nfl GIF by The Undroppables

Ron Mercer

Fits between John Huarte and Joe Kapp on the list of all Patriots QB in franchise history.

Like the almost undefeated season forgettable. :rolleyes: How many times have we talk about that season??:rolleyes:

Brady
Bledsoe
Grogan
Parilli
Flutie
Eason
Plunkett
Songin
Jones
Taliaferro

Is roughly how i'd rank the top ten... Would really have to look at the numbers on the bottom of the list to really sort them out proper

You got good starting QBs and you got bad starting QB's. Then there's 50 feet of crap. Then there's Mac Jones.
-Billy Beane

Brady
Bledsoe
Grogan
Parilli
Flutie
Eason
Plunkett
Songin
Jones
Taliaferro

Is roughly how i'd rank the top ten... Would really have to look at the numbers on the bottom of the list to really sort them out proper
That's a good list. Before my time but Damn a wish Plunkett remained a Patriot. He'd be 3-4 on the list IMO.

Last edited:
The Patriots have used pick #15 twice on quarterbacks in their franchise history. If Mac Jones does not play again this year, the first three playing season's results are creepy:

By these metrics, other than interceptions, Eason was the significantly better quarterback. And he did this in an era where receivers could be mangled and quarterbacks were fair game to be mutilated, unlike today where the game is heavily weighted in favor of offenses.

Oh yes, Eason was horrible. What does that say about Mac? Please reply and tell me if the numbers lie....
Eason in the top 5
After Brady Bledsoe Grogan and Parilli

Easons issue was he didn’t like to get hit.
Eason would have been much, much better in a 2020s style NFL than in a 1980s style.
Much better than 10.

You got good starting QBs and you got bad starting QB's. Then there's 50 feet of crap. Then there's Mac Jones.
-Billy Beane
Mac, I watched Tony Eason, I rooted for Tony Eason, Tony Eason was a favorite of mine. Mac, you are no Tony Eason.

Where Mac Jones fits in Pats history?

In the trash can

First of all, **** you for making me defend Tony Eason.

Considering there's 40 years between them, and offenses, and passing games are completely different - the numbers lie.
Eason's first two seasons as a starter were quite good - there's a reason he beat out Grogan in 85 (And he played hurt for long stretches of 85, which is why Grogan got so much playing time), he was just better. His first season was 23 tds to 8 INTs, and a 60+% completion rate, literally only Montana and Marino were better - and in 86, he was 61.6% which was 2nd in the league. He also had a W-L of 26-14, including 4-2 in the playoffs, and a Super Bowl appearance.

For the first three seasons of his career, Eason was unquestionably the 2nd best QB from the 83 draft. Then he got the yips, but instead of chucking picks like Mac Jones, he just took soul crushing sacks. He got *MVP* votes in 1986.

Last edited:
Mac will be remembered as someone who should have never been drafted in the first round
Would have been interesting to see how far he would have fallen if the Pats went in another direction.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back