PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Mac Jones salvageable anywhere by anyone?

Kasmir

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Firstly, I think the answer has to be no for the Pats.

I think the offense has too many non-QB problems to become good next year even if all the high draft capital and free agency windfall are primarily applied to the offense. There are too many problems with both the OL and skill positions to make this an easy place for a QB to play.

And Mac has only been good when he was running a strong offense that minimized pressure on him and didn't force him off platform.

I believe that looking at his skills abstractly, Mac Jones can be quality starter.

Sure, his arm strength is below NFL average, but the top 2 QB's in the NFL this year by both DYAR and DVOA, Purdy and Tua, also have below average arms.

Mac also has better athleticism than most people give him credit for (not that he knows how to use it).

Accuracy is obviously a strength of his (NCAA record holder) and I believe he has shown at times that can be accurate on the run as well.

His pre-snap reads seem to be more than adequate (although post snap he often falls apart).

So why has he failed so miserably? I believe it's because he plays with a high base level of anxiety and can easily panic when anything goes wrong (as of course it often will for a below average offense in the NFL). And when he panics, he forgets all his fundamentals and makes both poor decisions and poor throws. That interception vs the Colts was one of the worst throws in Patriot history.

I also suspect that the painful injury Mac suffered in 2022 has added some physical cowardice to his heap of anxiety, and being labelled a dirty player likely has increased that by adding fear of retaliation. And as we saw with Tony Eason, an NFL QB can't be a coward and succeed.

While when Mac came out of college he has some superficial similarity to Brady, Mac has proven to be the anti-Brady: where Tom was as clutch as anyone in NFL history, Mac has been historically bad in high pressure situations or when the game is on the line.

I really doubt he can be coached up from that by anyone.

As we saw at Alabama, Mac benefits much more than most QB's when leading a superior offense. I think he would look much better at Miami or SF. And I think he will look impressive in anyone's training camp.

But the anxiety will always be lurking within him, and you can't trust him not to panic when pressured or when the game is on the line.

As a long shot, someone here once suggested that Zoloft or some other anti-anxiety/anti-depressant might actually help him calm down enough to play to his talent.

Zoloft and other SSRIs are apparently not banned in international competition by the WUDA ("World Anti-Doping Agency"). Does anyone know whether they are considered PED's by the NFL, and/or would trigger positively on NFL drug tests?

State Farm Insurance

Who cares
Besides Mac Jones and his entourage? I'm sure there are a number of teams that are asking themselves exactly the question of whether Mac can be saved.

Yes. Next question.

Valuable to a team with an OL built for a pocket passer ... otherwise no.
NFL is trending to QB's that can extend the play ... that is not Mac.
I believe that ironically Mac has adequate athleticism and accuracy to be successful off platform, but the times when he is forced to extend the play is the time he is maximally prone to panic so he makes bad decisions and throws.

I sorta hate Mac, but if we can get him to the wizard....maybe.....just maybe he has a spare heart somewhere.

Sometimes a total reset of environment can work miracles. Sometimes it doesn't.

How many QBs do we ever see "salvaged"?

I mean we have the Baker Mayfield thing this year but he just threw an INT to end his playoff run which IMO is a hard reset on his "salvation". It's back to "same old f'in Baker" all over again.

Roll out the old Kurt Warner memes?

For that we have dozens of guys who get their shot, show some flashes, but end up holding a clipboard.

Look at the last three Jete high-draft-pick QBs for some recent examples.

Mac Jones could do well in a system that is 100% set up to deal with his weaknesses, if such a thing is possible.

Overall that makes him Derek Carr, one of his draft comps. Ask people in LV and NO about the Derek Carr experience.

Given where we are in the overall team building cycle, we're probably better off using our #1 to draft best QB available and seeing what we can't get back for Mac in trade.

That'll buy us a five-year cycle with a cheap QB, which if he hits is one of the best things to have in the NFL.

Of course no matter what we do, people here will rip it, so be prepared for some rocky times ahead.

Could be a decent starter.
Sb winner? No

Not here. The damage is done. Though I do think some people need to get comfortable with the idea that he might go somewhere else and look a lot better under a different offense while we still are getting our **** together

Not here. The damage is done. Though I do think some people need to get comfortable with the idea that he might go somewhere else and look a lot better under a different offense while we still are getting our **** together
That's fine, he had a chance here and it didn't work out, give him a new start with another team.

If Purdy craps the bed during the NFCCG then I think SF would offer us a 5th for Mac. If anyone can fix him it would be Shanahan

There's actually a decent chunk of QBs who have been able to rehab. Steve Young, most notably. Trent Green, Vinny Testaverde, Doug Flutie, Rich Gannon....

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back