PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Is Chris Long an upgrade from Chandler Jones?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is Chris Long an upgrade from Chandler Jones?

• If he can stay healthy, then yes

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • Need to see more, but so far, I like what I see!

Votes: 99 50.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets see the big games... Jones loved to bully the weak AFC teams but he also loved to pull a Manning and disappear in playoffs so its early to judge IMO. So far i like him better.

Long is being held and face-masked on every play, the guys motor is impressing and you see he wants to win, I like him celebrating on the sidelines, he was the happiest guy on earth after the win against the Cardinals, oh the taste of a win, he didn't feel in a long time in that dumpster fire Rams.

Chris Long's got a high motor. Hopefully, unlike Jones, he wont fade out as the season goes bye. Even though he doesn't have great stats yet, he puts on consistent pressure and create hurries. Neither Jones or Long seem to be all that stout against the run however, so thats a wash in my opinion.

Last edited:
Neither Jones or Long seem to be all that stout against the run however, so thats a wash in my opinion.
Huh? People were saying earlier in this thread that Long was better than Jones against the run.

Huh? People were saying earlier in this thread that Long was better than Jones against the run.
Well, granted its a small sample size so maybe too premature to be sure, but there were a couple plays in the Buffalo game when LeSean McCoy literally slipped right through him. One stands out in particular where he was really out of position (upfield with his back to the ball carrier) and McCoy cut inside and brushed right past him. Lets face it, neither of these guys are Ninko when it comes to setting the edge - glad he's returning.

Last edited:
Sunday was the first time all season, that I began to wonder if we needed Chandler Jones.

Still think the trade was worth it.....but the lack of a pass rush makes me wonder if we need someone like him

Dalton was pressured on 35% of his dropbacks

Brady was pressured on 33% of his dropbacks.

Brady dropped back 5 more times than Dalton

Yet all I heard Sunday was how the bungles were getting too much pressure on Brady and Dalton wasn't getting pressured at all. Why? Because the bengals happened to sack Brady a few times in the 1st half and AJ Green managed to get open against zone coverage.

"Ya but a good amount of Pats pressure was because they had Hightower rushing at times"

So the Pats have a LB that is good when he rushes the QB. Why should that be a negative? Von Miller is part of 5 man pass rush but you don't hear people saying "well the Broncos are good at pass rush because they rush 5 guys instead of 4"

Jabaal Sheard is equal with Aaron Donald in the amount of times he has hurried the QB this year.

Just find it funny how Pats using Collins and Hightower to pass rush is used as a negative against the Pats pass rush by some people.

Still think the trade was worth it.....but the lack of a pass rush makes me wonder if we need someone like him
The problem of the pass rush are less the DEs but more the lack of interior pass rush. Neither of the team's DTs is a particularly explosive pass rusher. Granted, Jones would improve the team's ability to convert pressures into sacks (Long has a great motor and gets more hurries on a frequent basis, but less sacks or hits than Jones), but the pure pressure rate by the DEs hasn't suffered from the loss of Jones. Just from the point of pressure the team has suffered more from the loss of Easley and Hicks (and the injury to Hightower) than the loss of Jones. Wonder how the pass rush would look like if Fairley had decided to sign here.

but more the lack of interior pass rush. Neither of the team's DTs is a particularly explosive pass rusher

Valentine was coming on pretty good at interior pressure before he got injured.

Dalton was pressured on 35% of his dropbacks

Brady was pressured on 33% of his dropbacks.

Brady dropped back 5 more times than Dalton

Yet all I heard Sunday was how the bungles were getting too much pressure on Brady and Dalton wasn't getting pressured at all. Why? Because the bengals happened to sack Brady a few times in the 1st half and AJ Green managed to get open against zone coverage.

"Ya but a good amount of Pats pressure was because they had Hightower rushing at times"

So the Pats have a LB that is good when he rushes the QB. Why should that be a negative? Von Miller is part of 5 man pass rush but you don't hear people saying "well the Broncos are good at pass rush because they rush 5 guys instead of 4"

Jabaal Sheard is equal with Aaron Donald in the amount of times he has hurried the QB this year.

Just find it funny how Pats using Collins and Hightower to pass rush is used as a negative against the Pats pass rush by some people.

I mentioned this in the game thread and then again afterwards. The "lack of pass rush" is being overblown by many on this forum.

Long started well but he hasn't provided a pass rush. I wonder if they might address it in the trading deadline.

I'll hold my judgement after the playoffs.

Long the few games I've seen him play he played extremely well.

Valentine was coming on pretty good at interior pressure before he got injured.
He is solid, but still not as good as Hicks (or Easley before he got hurt) were. I hope for another Hicks-type of trade this year, but of course these guys aren't available every year.

He is solid, but still not as good as Hicks (or Easley before he got hurt) were. I hope for another Hicks-type of trade this year, but of course these guys aren't available every year.

Hicks didn't exactly hit the ground running in NE took him a little bit (5-6 games) and some injuries to other guys to get going

Maybe Jones is thriving because he's playing in a defense that's more aggressive?

Maybe Jones is thriving because he's playing in a defense that's more aggressive?

Arizona doesn't ask him to do anything more than pin his ears back and get after the Quarterback. That's well and good when it works but if I'm an opponent, I'd run straight at Jones. He's less than impressive at setting the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes