PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Is Chris Long an upgrade from Chandler Jones?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is Chris Long an upgrade from Chandler Jones?

• If he can stay healthy, then yes

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • Need to see more, but so far, I like what I see!

Votes: 99 50.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I'd say so. Though the sample size is small, Long is aking plays that are impacting the game.

Not necessarily a better player, but better for this team. I never saw Chandler as a guy who could move inside, stand up, or be really effective against the run. From what I've seen from Long he can do all that, with a non-stop motor.

Not really a contest when it comes to pure pass rush ability though.

Nice thing about Long so far is that he's a continuous presence... unlike Jones, who'd make a great play and then for a while...

giphy.gif

...disappear. o_O

Not necessarily a better player, but better for this team. I never saw Chandler as a guy who could move inside, stand up, or be really effective against the run. From what I've seen from long, he can do all that, with a non-stop motor.

Not really a contest when it comes to pure pass rush ability though.

That is THE biggest difference between the two players. Jones was fine vs the run and did a good job rushing the passer He also worked hard and gave 100%.

but...

Long's motor is out of control. Hes relentless. Chasing down that play and recovering the fumble was very, very impressive.

He's an upgrade from Ninkovich, so far…

Long will also benefit more than anybody else whenever Ninkovich returns.
A DE rotation of Long/Ninkovich/Sheard/Flowers should be competitive on most days.

Agree on Nink.

Gotta keep those guys fresh- especially Long and Nink as they are both north of 30.

long is playing well, seems like he's loving life in NE

but he's no chandler jones!
Amendola, Bennett, Long..Take them out of football purgatory where they were for so many years and it must seem like heaven...........Wonder if it will help for future free agents who are tired of dysfunctional coaching and crappy QBs.....

Said it in another thread Chris Long has had a better 3 game run in terms of pressure and just distruptiveness than Chandler Jones ever had over 3 games. I'm sure someone Jones fanboy will throw at sacks acting like that tells the whole story.

And don't forget Jonathan Cooper!

You must be really worred that this trade is gonna end up being a good deal on the Pats end even if Cooper never plays a snap. Thuney looking like the Mankins replacement they were looking for and Malcolm Mitchell already making big/clutch plays. Not to mention Chris Long these first 3 games looking better in terms of pressure and disruption than Chandler Jones ever has over 3 games.

Lol come on man. Chris Long may be a great leader have a good motor and be playing very effectively this year, but Chandler is on a different level than long. Not a fair comparison. Chandler is an elite pass rusher good run stuffer and very vocal leader (listen to his MICed up). Chandler is better period. And don't give me that baloney about long being better for our system.

So many patsfans downplay the accomplishments of ex patriots. Guys like Welker Martin Samuel Revis Seymour did great things for us and patsfans downplay what they did because they don't play for us anymore

I am surprised at how much he is contributing. Sometimes, vets come in and they just don't work out. I figured Long might not be contributing much. Glad to be wrong. Feel like leadership is there as well. Hunger for winning, team first guy, experience. Excellent pick up so far.

For the money, better than CJ - straight up, not sure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes