Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Mac or Zappe

• Zappe

• Mac

Results are only viewable after voting.
You want to wait until 2029 to accept this guy's not the guy?

I only have a certain number of years left.

Yet
1. Not the point. The point is we knew what we had.
2. I suggest downers.

I have a tough time believing that Zappe wouldn’t have already been named the starter permanently if BB really believed Zappe was the better QB right now.

I have a tough time believing that Zappe wouldn’t have already been named the starter permanently if BB really believed Zappe was the better QB right now.
Maybe Mac is practicing better and then shutting the bed during games. Who knows, but the reality is Mac is on a short leash. Theres no way he can throw bone headed picks multiple times a game going forward

Maybe Mac is practicing better and then shutting the bed during games. Who knows, but the reality is Mac is on a short leash. Theres no way he can throw bone headed picks multiple times a game going forward

Mac threw no bone head attempts or picks last game. Fingers crossed.

Bone headed picks aside.
I think my biggest concern is not coming off his first read.
Not spreading the ball to his playmakers.
Not putting enough on passes going over 8 yds or so.
Bad footwork and mechanics.
Crumbling under pressure.
Those are my biggest concerns.
If he throws a pick because he is trying to make a play or loses out on a 40 60 ball I can accept that.
Brady has had games where he’s thrown multiple picks.
It’s the stench of a stagnant and stale vanilla offense where the defense doesn’t fear Mac to hurt them.

There were several ways forward after Jones returned: 1. The team is losing and Jones stinks. 2. The team is losing but Jones plays well. 3. The team is winning and Jones is good. 4. The team is winning and Jones stinks.

In scenarios 2 & 3, Jones certainly continues to play. In scenario 1, I think Jones likely continues to play (unless he was putrid and turning the ball over in spades) because there's nothing to play for. Scenario 4 - which is the one we're currently experiencing - is the most fascinating because I think the pull to potentially play Zappe (if you feel he gives the team better quarterback play) is the strongest, since that scenario involves the team potentially finding themselves in a position for a playoff run.
Indeed we are currently living out scenario 4 - We're winning but Mac Jones is stinking up the joint. Yes a lot of the blame has to go on the bad offensive coaching. But it just looks like Zappe can make more plays when things break down.

Zappe has shown a solid ability to roll out and throw on the run. These are things that Mac Jones is not good at. Mac is best when he can be a statue in the pocket and air out throws with a clean window. Given the state of the current offense, Zappe just gives us a better chance to win and I daresay exhibits more athleticism on the football field when he needs to improvise or 'sandlot' some plays when the OL protection breaks down.

In games when the D allows at least 17 points, he's 3-10.

He's 4-10 against teams .500 or better.
Completely meaningless stat, you are counting games where we fumbled on the 2 in the 4th quarter, where we allowed 4th and 27 conversion, where the defense didn’t make the other team punt to name a few.

Indeed we are currently living out scenario 4 - We're winning but Mac Jones is stinking up the joint. Yes a lot of the blame has to go on the bad offensive coaching. But it just looks like Zappe can make more plays when things break down.

Zappe has shown a solid ability to roll out and throw on the run. These are things that Mac Jones is not good at. Mac is best when he can be a statue in the pocket and air out throws with a clean window. Given the state of the current offense, Zappe just gives us a better chance to win and I daresay exhibits more athleticism on the football field when he needs to improvise or 'sandlot' some plays when the OL protection breaks down.
Zappe '22 - Flutie '88

55 pages of debating suck vs blow, the real answer is neither.

Completely meaningless stat, you are counting games where we fumbled on the 2 in the 4th quarter, where we allowed 4th and 27 conversion, where the defense didn’t make the other team punt to name a few.
Are you saying that wins is a meaningless stat? I think it's pretty relevant if his record is 3-10 when the D allows >17 pts. That tells me his wins are mainly because of the defense.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back