Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If the Pats can't get a top-5 QB, who do you want?

• Davis Mills

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Kellen Mond

Votes: 34 28.8%
  • Jamie Newman

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Kyle Trask

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • other: Ian Book, KJ Costello, Sam Ehlinger, Feleipe Franks, etc.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • none of the above; wait until 2022 to draft a QB

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • none of the above; go with a vet (Cam, Jimmy G, Alex Smith, etc.)

Votes: 11 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Diving into the day 2 QBs. I'll admit Mills' game vs. Washington was impressive. A handful of tight window throws vs. a pretty good defense.

With the game on the line up 31-26, he made two great plays on 3rd & 10 and 3rd & 11 to seal the game. The first he stepped up and made a good throw on the run & the second was a throw only his WR could make a play down the sideline.

Curious to see his accuracy in other games. I know posters have said it can get erratic.

Just saw an article on Jackson Erdmann, QB from D3 school. At some point, if you get a chance, would you take a look and tell us what you think.
I'm pretty sure I read about him before last year's draft?

Just saw an article on Jackson Erdmann, QB from D3 school. At some point, if you get a chance, would you take a look and tell us what you think.
Honestly not a hell of a lot lol. I spent like 5 mins at draft diamonds (draft site) but stay in touch with a few people and heard his name a few years ago.

Super interesting story. Dude had neurological sickness ACA I believe? I think it messes with your muscle control but honestly that's beyond me. He also had another injury after coming back from that I believe. Very religious has done some work in that area. Supposedly very smart, mentally tough which isn't hard to believe. Dove into the position, son of coach. I haven't watched him recently but his arm talent was noticeable but limited. Accurate, touch but limited velocity. Has some athleticism for sure. Some decent pocket awareness and feel. Competition was awful, slow. Very tough to get a feel if that'll translate against the best athletes in the world.

Hes a different guy I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to be a star QB but also seems to value other things in life. Again hes very religious.

I think he's in some league though. Arena league or something? Is that even still a thing or some form of it? Honestly haven't watched or seen him recently.

Honestly not a hell of a lot lol. I spent like 5 mins at draft diamonds (draft site) but stay in touch with a few people and heard his name a few years ago.

Super interesting story. Dude had neurological sickness ACA I believe? I think it messes with your muscle control but honestly that's beyond me. He also had another injury after coming back from that I believe. Very religious has done some work in that area. Supposedly very smart, mentally tough which isn't hard to believe. Dove into the position, son of coach. I haven't watched him recently but his arm talent was noticeable but limited. Accurate, touch but limited velocity. Has some athleticism for sure. Some decent pocket awareness and feel. Competition was awful, slow. Very tough to get a feel if that'll translate against the best athletes in the world.

Hes a different guy I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to be a star QB but also seems to value other things in life. Again hes very religious.

I think he's in some league though. Arena league or something? Is that even still a thing or some form of it? Honestly haven't watched or seen him recently.
Thanks for your effort. I appreciate it and hope it didn't take up too much of your very valuable time.

A very brief search on Jackson Erdmann yielded these tidbits:

COVID-19 forced the Division III league to shut down for the year, putting a lot of young careers on hold or killing them entirely. Erdmann wasn’t going to go down like that. He signed on with the upstart Fan Controlled Football league. It appears to be a new take on the old Arena Football League and has included some notable former NFL players including Johnny Manziel and Josh Gordon.​

"It was a little disruption in the plans as far as the canceled Pro Day, minicamps, CFL season, so the last year … I was kind of in limbo," he explained. "I was training, working out with guys just hoping for a shot ... This year I was actually able to get into the Pro Day because they had it."​
Erdmann was eligible for the NFL Draft last year but he said coming from an NCAA Division III school meant that he would need to play in front of teams to make an impression -- without a platform to showcase his skills, he wasn’t picked up.​

This Fan Controlled Football league sounds wild. It's like Madden video game, except played between Arena Football teams.

"I think FCF is taking 'Hard Knocks' to the next level. They're always filming, promoting multiple shows every day of the week. They’re livestreaming shows and practices," said Jackson Erdmann.​
"I think it's a great opportunity in the FCF as I'm trying to make the next step to the CFL or NFL," Erdmann said.​
His opportunity in FCF is at the hands of fans, who are calling the shots on Twitch.​
"People are always yelling at the TV on Sunday's: run this play, you shouldn’t have done that, you shouldn't have kicked the field goal, go for it. Whereas, now we have a league that exists upon that foundation where it's up to the fans," he added.​
"We have radios and we know all these plays from our playbook, so whatever the majority of the fans vote for that’s what we run," Erdmann said.​
To assist the armchair quarterbacks, Jackson and his dad Jeff, the head football coach at Rosemount High School, put together a Football 101 video on calling plays.​

"We tried to keep it really simple because they literally have 10 seconds to select run or pass and then pick a play," he said.​

Diving into the day 2 QBs. I'll admit Mills' game vs. Washington was impressive. A handful of tight window throws vs. a pretty good defense.

With the game on the line up 31-26, he made two great plays on 3rd & 10 and 3rd & 11 to seal the game. The first he stepped up and made a good throw on the run & the second was a throw only his WR could make a play down the sideline.

Curious to see his accuracy in other games. I know posters have said it can get erratic.

he seems to struggle with the crossings routes and check downs.

part of it is the Stanford offense struggles to identify the free rushers, which makes mills try to force plays that inevitably become the plays we say, “why did he do that?”

After going back and looking at the QB classes of the last dozen years or so, I'm shocked at how few QBs amount to ANYTHING in the NFL. With a notable exception or two (2012), almost all the names soon become "who?"

Maybe it's because the teams that need QBs and so play the youngsters before they just rot out of the league always go high, but wow, this is a tough position. Other than the Wilsons, Prescotts, and few notable others, there just aren't any hits (Brady was the luckiest shot in history!).

Day 2 looks like Trask, Mills, or Mond, maybe Jamie Newman...but it's likely none of them will succeed to any great extent.

Here's hoping it's 2012 all over again, where Wilson, Foles, adn Cousins were all 3rd rounders!

Go through year by year and sort by position to see a straight list of the QB's and where they were taken, if you have the stomach for it.

If SF thinks they've got the guy they want at #3, I'm not so sure they screwed up at all.

After going back and looking at the QB classes of the last dozen years or so, I'm shocked at how few QBs amount to ANYTHING in the NFL. With a notable exception or two (2012), almost all the names soon become "who?"

Maybe it's because the teams that need QBs and so play the youngsters before they just rot out of the league always go high, but wow, this is a tough position. Other than the Wilsons, Prescotts, and few notable others, there just aren't any hits (Brady was the luckiest shot in history!).

Day 2 looks like Trask, Mills, or Mond, maybe Jamie Newman...but it's likely none of them will succeed to any great extent.

Here's hoping it's 2012 all over again, where Wilson, Foles, adn Cousins were all 3rd rounders!

Go through year by year and sort by position to see a straight list of the QB's and where they were taken, if you have the stomach for it.

If SF thinks they've got the guy they want at #3, I'm not so sure they screwed up at all.
It would be interesting to have a comparison by position too if anyone could ever be bothered to do that. There is always discussion about first rounders hit rate vs lower rounds. They obviously get more time and opportunities to prove themselves but also have higher expectation. If Harry was a 4/5th rounder we might be ok with him. If Stid was a first rounder he would obviously be a complete bust but as a 4th rounder there is nor pressure on him and he has stuck around.

This is technically true, but it’s understood that it happens ALL the time.
I’m not so sure that’s true because there is no way to know that, but t I’m pretty much certain the Patriots wouldn’t take that chance, they lose draft picks for allowing their players to lift weights.

Needs a lot of refinement. A two- or three-year project. But he is good value in a middle round. No denying his bountiful athleticism and arm strength.

Yeargamescompletionsattemptscomp. %YardsY/ATDintrating
Career2939563861.94,7737.53017134.9

Tom Brady @ Michigan

The point is that Brady is a perfectionist and constantly studies football plays. Hard worker and loves football.

Drafting a QB whose traits is loving football and details is something you cannot train or teach, as it is an obsession.

Which QBs in the draft has that drive? Those are the ones you focus on.

K.J. Costello.

There...I said it.

Ian Book. The guy gets no respect. But he was super accurate in the Senior Bowl practices and was decisive running for positive yards when he had to on third down.

Notre Dame. Multi year starter. A winner.

Joe Montana, here we come!

Yeargamescompletionsattemptscomp. %YardsY/ATDintrating
Career2939563861.94,7737.53017134.9

Tom Brady @ Michigan

The point is that Brady is a perfectionist and constantly studies football plays. Hard worker and loves football.

Drafting a QB whose traits is loving football and details is something you cannot train or teach, as it is an obsession.

Which QBs in the draft has that drive? Those are the ones you focus on.
The one that stands out the most is BYU’s Zach Wilson.

On the weekend he drives 10 hours to work on his game with QB guru John Beck—I almost typed Jeff, which would have gotten Captain Stone on my case—who calls Zach Wilson “a football junkie.”

I predict Wilson will be the best NFL QB out of this class

Needs a lot of refinement. A two- or three-year project. But he is good value in a middle round. No denying his bountiful athleticism and arm strength.

So how is Newman, with 18 starts in the ACC, a 2-3 year project and good value in the middle rounds, but Lance, with 12 starts at Div2, a top 10 pick?

Ian Book. The guy gets no respect. But he was super accurate in the Senior Bowl practices and was decisive running for positive yards when he had to on third down.

Notre Dame. Multi year starter. A winner.

Joe Montana, here we come!
I took Book on my board. I agree he's someone who wouldn't surprise me at all. Tough kid.

So how is Newman, with 18 starts in the ACC, a 2-3 year project and good value in the middle rounds, but Lance, with 12 starts at Div2, a top 10 pick?
Bc he's never shown the upside of Lance but his floor could be lower.

Newman never looked nearly as comfortable running an offense. You still need to figure that out. In terms of timing, command, feel/poise. You didn't see round one NFL starter. You saw flashes.

His mechanics are tight at times but sloppy up top other reps. Slow(er) release. Coupled with not being comfortable going through some concepts doesn't make for production in the pocket.

A lot of that could be on his coaches fpr not tapping into his juice. What he does well. In fact that's most of it with a lot of these prospects. Hence the portal.

I have a 3rd on him Mond & Trask and wouldn't move up for any. Maybe late 2nd, early 3rd but I like where their talent & value line up there.

*edit* Lance never played D2.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back