PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wynn and Cannon OR Anderson and Reiff

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Someone help. I just can't see how we are the same or worse at OT.

REPLACEMENT 1
OUT- Wynn
IN - Anderson

REPLACEMENT 2
OUT - Cannon
IN - Reiff

We return Brown, McDermott and Steuber.
We will likely still another upgrade or two.
Sow and Strange are possible emergency backups.

Maybe we don't have an offensive tackle problem anymore. Certainly with Wynn gone, he always caused stupid penalties. The other tackle issue was Brown's availability and his mental issues. Like now he is not at OTA, I think because of contract issues.

Maybe one of the Mac Jones excuses has been removed with different OTs.

Reiff by reports looked awful in OTA.
Anderson, completely unproven, in 3 years with broncos started a grand total of 16 games

The starters will be Trent Brown and Reiff

At best its a wash from last year and last year was terrible.

Someone help. I just can't see how we are the same or worse at OT.

REPLACEMENT 1
OUT- Wynn
IN - Anderson

REPLACEMENT 2
OUT - Cannon
IN - Reiff

We return Brown, McDermott and Steuber.
We will likely still another upgrade or two.
Sow and Strange are possible emergency backups.
could just be learning a new system,,, the basics are the same but if the calls are different, might take a little learning if they arent up to speed

I don’t see him making the final 53.
Anderson, completely unproven, in 3 years with broncos started a grand total of 16 games
He has drawn just one penalty in almost 750 career snaps and only gave up two sacks.

He’s played really well, has genius level intellect, is stupid strong and a great athlete. His mobility is comparable to Cole Strange for best on the team and some of the best in the league.
Reiff is a bigger question mark for me than Brown or anyone, he’s ancient.

I see Calvin Anderson or Sow at RT if Trent comes ready to play.
Coaching and offensive scheme were a bigger problem for the OLine last year than “talent.”

If healthy the offensive line is a lot better than last season, simply because of their draft class and depth of talent.

The coaching last year was abysmal, in my view that is likely to have been the most significant factor for last year’s horrendous performance by their OTs. Of all the stupid things they did, the worst was putting Wynn at RT. He was at best a decent LT with bad attitude and injury issues. How they could have thought he would work out at RT having not played on that side in the NFL is beyond ridiculous. Similarly they clearly overestimated the potential for Herron and Cajuste, and the other JAGs they had on their roster for OT heading into camp last year. This in turn I think led them to overdraft Strange and ignore OT in the 2022 draft.

Speaking of Strange, I felt he was decent enough last year, sure he had his struggles but so did the other two OGs drafted in the 2022 first round who were coming in from D1 FBS program. Let’s hope his strength is a lot better this year without compromising his agility. I‘m optimistic but again they would be a lot better off with Tyler Smith and Cody Mauch than they are with Strange and Anderson or Rieff.

I’m choosing to be optimistic also about Anderson and Brown, with better coaching in place. I don’t expect much from Rieff, it won’t surprise me if he doesn’t make the team at all, but “by reports“ he did a decent job in Chicago last year. Letting Wynn go, with his crap attitude and constant injuries will be addition by subtraction. He got outplayed at RT by McDermott ffs. They have McDermott, “mystery man” Steuber (my prediction: cut in August, signed to the practice squad), and apparently Sow as the current options as well. Slim pickings for sure.

I’d certainly feel more confident if they had drafted Freeland from BYU (either instead of Mapu or by trading up into the later 3rd) but he’s certainly not a lock to make it in the NFL, the same goes for Wanya Morris out of Oklahoma. Honestly I don’t think any of the OTs in this draft were anything special. I far prefer Gonzalez to Smith, Harrison, or Bergeron (the next 3 OTs picked) and think White is a better prospect for them than Mauch (who I like but not as an OT in the NFL).

Bottom line: with better coaching they will be better off this year with Brown and Anderson and Rieff than last year‘s crap fest.

Maybe we don't have an offensive tackle problem anymore. Certainly with Wynn gone, he always caused stupid penalties. The other tackle issue was Brown's availability and his mental issues. Like now he is not at OTA, I think because of contract issues.
This is a great example of overthinking, reading too much into things. It was widely reported that Brown was at OTAs, he just missed the first day because of an airline flight being delayed or cancelled.

There are concerns with Brown. He reportedly showed up out of shape, a problem he’s had previously. Might indicate his commitment to the program isn’t as strong as it should be. But coming off 2022 that could just be Fat Matt’s last gift to the Pats.

Hopefully there is time for Brown to get in shape before camp, and he is motivated to do so. We will see how he shows up and gets to work when the time comes. Until then it’s just empty chatter, baseless speculation, and pure projection, like the contract issues allegation above.

This is a great example of overthinking, reading too much into things. It was widely reported that Brown was at OTAs, he just missed the first day because of an airline flight being delayed or cancelled.
He was late because he waited until the very last minute to get to MA instead of getting in town a day earlier.

Showing up late and out of shape does not bode well for his 2023 season.

He was late because he waited until the very last minute to get to MA instead of getting in town a day earlier.

Yeah not great after a pretty shocking year last year and also it's a contract year for him so you think he would be motivated. He was so out of shape he couldn't even train on the day he turned up.

I've seen a couple things in this thread that may be true, but are jumping the gun for me:

1) Reiff struggled in OTA's. He's not a guaranteed commodity by any means due to his age, but he's a player who made his bread by playing with an edge. You can't tell what he is without pads.

2) Brown came in out of shape. This seems to be based solely on him looking big? I don't know how anyone could make this claim without getting some kind of official weigh in, or seeing him in real drills where he's gassed.

Again, both things could end up being true in the end, but anyone making OL evaluations based on unpadded OTA's is getting ahead of themselves IMO.

As to the original question posed, I think the pendulum swings with Brown. If he is still the player we hope he is, I think Anderson/Reiff gives us a better option than Wynn/Cannon (the 2022 version anyway). If he's not, then Anderson/Reiff (if that ends up being the duo) is a step down from last year, even with the questions at RT.

I think his contract is guaranteed which might be an issue there?
Many of these contracts have provisions that require the player to make the 53 man roster.

Brown looking “out of shape” is how he looks all the time, he’s 380 pounds.

Also he showed up… players in a contract year often skip OTA’s entirely. This an isn’t a Trent Brown or a Patriots problem.

McDermott upgraded the line when he came in at the end. Wynn was that bad last year, and Cannon was clearly just done.
I don't know who will be their tackles this year, but I'm guessing McDermott won't be starting (but will make it as a backup). In other words, they will be better than last year, I think.

Anderson played well for Denver last year, by all accounts I've read. Reiff is/was certainly serviceable. They need upgrades going forward, as Reiff is also certainly just a stop-gap, as is Brown, who I don't think has many seasons left in him, particularly since he won't be getting the kind of $$$ he wants after this year.

Crap like this needs to not sit without response.
How does an OL “look awful” with no contact? And exactly who said he looked awful. The only reports I saw said he was playing wit the second offense, which people turned into “he looked awful”

2) Brown came in out of shape. This seems to be based solely on him looking big? I don't know how anyone could make this claim without getting some kind of official weigh in, or seeing him in real drills where he's gassed.
This is based on him not participating in any of the drills except one which was stretching and light jogging which he didn't complete.

Brown looking “out of shape” is how he looks all the time, he’s 380 pounds.

Also he showed up… players in a contract year often skip OTA’s entirely. This an isn’t a Trent Brown or a Patriots problem.

I asked @BaconGrundleCandy about this, as he said similar in another thread, and apparently the reporters on site all came to the conclusion that he was relegated to the practice field after not being able to stick through the regular practice. No idea how correct that might be.

Crap like this needs to not sit without response.
How does an OL “look awful” with no contact? And exactly who said he looked awful. The only reports I saw said he was playing wit the second offense, which people turned into “he looked awful”
Was wondering that, too, honestly.

Meanwhile Bedard goes all in on the downside: Boston Sports Journal

Are there any real options for Patriots' potential disaster at tackle?​

Including this: Calvin Anderson, a backup with the Broncos, has been the de-facto left tackle this offseason and has been routinely run around before pads have gone on.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back