PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

THE OL REBUILD - IS STRANGE HEALTHY?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
When will Strange be back at 100%? We all hope that he is healthy, but I presume that Sow is ready if needed, and perhaps Mafi.

RIGHT SIDE
We have no problems with Sow, Onwenu and now Robinson as a backup RG. I presume that Okorafor or Anderson or Wallace could be expected to be our swing OT.

CENTER
Andrews and Andrews are set. However, we now have an "emergency" backup in Wallace.

LEFT SIDE - TACKLE
Okorafor, Anderson, Wallace, Wheatley (still needing more help this year and/or next)

LEFT SIDE - GUARD ????
When will Strange be ready? I don't expect that Mafi is a future starter, although that is possible. This could be the future for Wallace if we acquire a top LT next year. Sow could also move over. Leverett seems like camp fodder (needed).
=========
BOTTOM LINE (phase 3 of rebuild next year)
TACKLES (4) - Okorafor, Anderson, Wallace, Wheatley/Steuber/McDermott
GUARDS (4) - Strange, Sow, Robinson, Mafi/Leverett/Jordan
CENTER (2) - Andrews, Andrews

Last edited:
From what little I have been able to find, Strange probably had a left knee patellar tendon rupture. Typical recovery time is six months, which would mean that he would not participate in OTAs, but would be ready to go for the start of training camp.

Strange is feeling that fire being started under his ass.

Strange has a recovery from a serious knee injury. LG to start the season should be Sidy Sow. He’ll be better than Strange, anyway.

Anderson-Sow-Andrews-Onwenu(he wants to play guard)-Okorafor to start the season.

Mafi disappointed last season, even being replaced by the rookie Andrews.

Jacoby will need to look like Evil Knivel before jumping over a bunch of cars on a motorcycle.

From what little I have been able to find, Strange probably had a left knee patellar tendon rupture. Typical recovery time is six months, which would mean that he would not participate in OTAs, but would be ready to go for the start of training camp.
That would be perfect. he deserves to catch a break. Strange gets too much crap because he was a guard picked in the first round. He has attitude, started his rookie year but was hurt last year when he should have had a breakout year. Hopefully this will be his year to allow Sow to blossom at a different position. Compared to last year the line will look better with everyone healthy.

Strange has a recovery from a serious knee injury. LG to start the season should be Sidy Sow. He’ll be better than Strange, anyway.

Anderson-Sow-Andrews-Onwenu(he wants to play guard)-Okorafor to start the season.

Mafi disappointed last season, even being replaced by the rookie Andrews.

Jacoby will need to look like Evil Knivel before jumping over a bunch of cars on a motorcycle.
Curiously, the problem is at guard. We could have Anderson, Onwenu and Okarafor as our three OT's (plus Wallace), with Anderson as the swing OT. Who is you swing OT? I don't want to carry McDermott.

For me, I would leave Onwenu at RT. We need a LG to start until Strange is back. Let's solve that problem without adding issues at OT. OT seems fine until we add a top LT. Perhaps, then Onwenu and Sow can move. I suspect that options are Jake and Mafi.

That would be perfect. he deserves to catch a break. Strange gets too much crap because he was a guard picked in the first round. He has attitude, started his rookie year but was hurt last year when he should have had a breakout year. Hopefully this will be his year to allow Sow to blossom at a different position. Compared to last year the line will look better with everyone health.
I know I am in the vast minority here with my opinion on Strange, but I believe the forum as a whole is being a bit premature in writing him off.

Strange suffered his injury early in training camp last year, and missed the entire preseason. He should have been placed on IR back then. I suspect there may have been a bit of pressure applied for him to play through it since the OL was already a catastrophe before the season even began.

As a result he missed time early and frankly did not play that well when returned, still not 100% healthy and still going to need off season surgery. Then the inevitable happened, and he landed on IR anyways.

With that in mind I'm hesitant to judge him on his 2023 performance. I'd much rather have a healthy Strange than Mafi in the starting lineup.

Was he drafted too early? Yes, absolutely. But that's a sunk cost and therefore irrelevant. If he was drafted in the 4th round would people here feel the same way about him? Very doubtful.

I know I am in the vast minority here with my opinion on Strange, but I believe the forum as a whole is being a bit premature in writing him off.

Strange suffered his injury early in training camp last year, and missed the entire preseason. He should have been placed on IR back then. I suspect there may have been a bit of pressure applied for him to play through it since the OL was already a catastrophe before the season even began.

As a result he missed time early and frankly did not play that well when returned, still not 100% healthy and still going to need off season surgery. Then the inevitable happened, and he landed on IR anyways.

With that in mind I'm hesitant to judge him on his 2023 performance. I'd much rather have a healthy Strange than Mafi in the starting lineup.

Was he drafted too early? Yes, absolutely. But that's a sunk cost and therefore irrelevant. If he was drafted in the 4th round would people here feel the same way about him? Very doubtful.
I think that we all hope that Strange will be back at 100%. I am fine extending him if he healthy; we need inexpensive starters we can count on. AI agree regarding Mafi. When he was drafted, it wasn't at all clear that he would make the 53. For me, I am fine with Strange as a starter. He is competent, just not a star.

He seems like a tough, team player. It's possible that Strange understood the situation and wanted to do what he could to help by trying to play through the injury.

Maybe Strange is moving to LT?

Who is you swing OT?
Right now my guess is McDermott. He’s serviceable on both sides. But probably not starter material.

LT starter? Many names. VLowe actually did compete decently there after his awful RT performance. So did McDermott. And he saved us two seasons ago from the disaster at RT. Isaiah Wynn should have been LG not RT.

Calvin Anderson was penciled in as a potential starter at LT. But then he almost died last year from an illness we know nothing about. Never seen anything like the secrecy in 48 years following the nfl. I’m guessing it’s a heart malady brought on by the experimental jab. No info has been released so it’s just speculation.

Obviously, the best two candidates are the Pittsburgh castoff. Chuks Okorafor, the most likely starter at LT. But rookie Caedan Wallace, playing a new position, may or may not adapt. But he has serious potential.

The new guard from Texas a&m is strictly a RG. I’m leery of those guys being moved to LG. The team in the Patricia year tried that with Chasen Hines. Freakin disaster.

I would still like to move Onwenu back inside where he excels and has stated he wants to play.

Cole Strange is a wildcard. Superb athlete. But he was drafted under the Patricia impulse to emphasize a blocking,the outside zone, that hasn’t featured prominently in NE.

He feels like a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. Can he become the next center? LT? Who knows?

I’ve seen enough to know he struggles against the elite DTs. I think Sow has more upside at his natural LG going manoamano with the Quinnen Williamses.

When free agency and the draft passes and Calvin Anderson coming off a mystery illness is still your best shot at a capable left tackle, also the best remaining offensive linemen on your team are the same guys who were here last year... you failed as a GM.

as of now I think they start the season with:
Okorafor-Strange-Andrew’s-Sow-Onwenu

If Strange can’t go to start they year then Mafi, Jake Andrews, Leverett, Jordan and Robinson fight for the other starting spot. My bet would be Leverett. Or they could move Sow to left guard and have Robinson play right guard

I’m hoping Wallace takes the job from Okorafor sooner rather than later. If Wallace is a starter and Strange is healthy I feel pretty good about the o-line.

They will probably need to spend premium assets at the tackle position in future drafts during the rebuild. Since this is a rebuild I’m hoping for improvement on the o line from game to game, I don’t expect the line to be great to start the year.

After Scar retired the development of the line hasn’t been great. I’m hoping with the new regime they can develop the offensive line.

I’ve seen enough to know he struggles against the elite DTs. I think Sow has more upside at his natural LG going manoamano with the Quinnen Williamses.
I think the zone scheme will help him. I think he’s going to be more successful blocking guys like that on the move in zone runs rather than going straight at those tackles.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back