Rebooting the OL decisions

BTTA

He/Him
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Who are the 8/9 that are kept?

Safe: Brown, Strange, D. Andrews, Onwenu

Pick Two OT's: Lowe, Wheatley, Sow, Steuber, Anderson

Pick Two/Three Interior/Multitool: Ferentz, Mafi, Russey, J. Andrews, Hines, Reiff

Who goes to PS? I'd guess two developmental players, perhaps as many as three.
Who starts as injured? And with what status?
Who gets cut outright?

I doubt either Lowe or Wheatley gets cut.

so OT looks like Brown, Sow, Lowe, and Wheatley.

OG locks are Strange and Onwenu.

C is D. Andrews.

that’s seven. I expect they’ll keep ten, so three more. Mafi will be one of those. The others are a grab bag. I’m guessing Russey and Hines. Reiff to IR or retires. J. Andrews and Ferentz to PS. Steuber may get to PS or may get cut. I guess PS. Same for Bill Murray.

The pats didn’t trade for two OTs to immediately put them on waivers. They’ll be here for atleast a week. It’s also been pointed out that they’ve never cut a 4th round pick during initial cutdowns:

OT Trent Brown
LG Cole Strange
C David Andrews
RG Michael Onwenu
RT Sidy Sow

OT Tyrone Wheatley Jr.
OT Vederian Lowe
OG Atonio Mafi
OC Jake Andrews

NFI: Calvin Anderson

Reiff makes it if healthy. Otherwise those are your 9 OL IMO.

I think they might keep both new OTs and Sow. So 3 from the top list.
They’ll know what the new guys have to offer within an hour of them hitting the field for the first time. Line them up opposite Judon and Uche for evaluation and let them show their stuff.

RT was a disaster last season. It’s shaping up to be a disaster in week one vs the NFC champs with studs all over the place in the front seven.

For those of us old enough and who were fans of the Patriots way back when, Bill Parcells faced a similar situation. At center. He had the clarity to say that position “held the team hostage.”

He went out and brought in a free agent and drafted a guy out of Syracuse in the fourth round. Dave Wohlabaugh.

Well, we’ve come full circle. Belichick royally screwed up in the draft. Ample opportunities in the fourth round to get an experienced RT with nfl ability and size.

Can Sidy Sow be ready against Philly? Time will tell.

We’ve come full circle. Dave Wohlabaugh’s son just transferred to his father’s alma mater. He’s bigger than his dad.

Does he play tackle?

Chasen Hines should be Onwenu’s backup over Mafi.

The pats didn’t trade for two OTs to immediately put them on waivers. They’ll be here for atleast a week. It’s also been pointed out that they’ve never cut a 4th round pick during initial cutdowns:

OT Trent Brown
LG Cole Strange
C David Andrews
RG Michael Onwenu
RT Sidy Sow

OT Tyrone Wheatley Jr.
OT Vederian Lowe
OG Atonio Mafi
OC Jake Andrews

I generally agree. Only difference is I’d see Jake going to PS and keeping Russey.

plus I’d keep ten, adding Hines for IOL depth.

Reiff to IR is my expectation.

otherwise I expect youve nailed it.

I doubt either Lowe or Wheatley gets cut.

so OT looks like Brown, Sow, Lowe, and Wheatley.

OG locks are Strange and Onwenu.

C is D. Andrews.

that’s seven. I expect they’ll keep ten, so three more. Mafi will be one of those. The others are a grab bag. I’m guessing Russey and Hines. Reiff to IR or retires. J. Andrews and Ferentz to PS. Steuber may get to PS or may get cut. I guess PS. Same for Bill Murray.

Have they ever kept 10? If so, which position gets reduced to make it happen? Three RB's? It is reported this morning that they are hunting for a third, blocking TE, so apparently not there.

It is a little odd to me that Jake Andrews hasn't played any other spot other than center this preseason/camp. He was drafted highest of all the linemen we took and so far it looks like he is strictly a backup center.

OT Trent Brown
LG Cole Strange
C David Andrews
RG Michael Onwenu
RT Sidy Sow

OT Tyrone Wheatley Jr.
OT Vederian Lowe
OG Atonio Mafi
OC Jake Andrews

You don't have C Hines making it??

I generally agree. Only difference is I’d see Jake going to PS and keeping Russey.

plus I’d keep ten, adding Hines for IOL depth.

Reiff to IR is my expectation.

otherwise I expect youve nailed it.
K Russey too small and weak.

Last edited:
Have they ever kept 10? If so, which position gets reduced to make it happen? Three RB's? It is reported this morning that they are hunting for a third, blocking TE, so apparently not there.
2014, 2015, 2016, and 2020 all had 10 on the initial 53 but then somebody was cut or IRed prior to week 1 to get down to 8-9.

los pats siguen comprando chatarra para conducir un mercedes... lo normal es que cuando el auto llega a velocidad de crucero... se estrelle

If I had to guess now who will be here in two weeks for game one:

LT (1) – Trent Brown, Calvin Anderson (I), Vederian Lowe (PS)
LG (1) – Cole Strange,
C (3) – David Andrews, Kody Russey, Jake Andrews,
RG (2) – Michael Onwenu, Antonio Mafi
RT (2) – Sidy Sow, Tyrone Wheatley, Riley Reiff (I/R), Connor McDermot (PS),

Starters in bold, five starters and four backups assuming Jake Andrews doesn't contract the Foxboro flu.

If I had to guess now who will be here in two weeks for game one:

LT (1) – Trent Brown, Calvin Anderson (I), Vederian Lowe (PS)
LG (1) – Cole Strange,
C (3) – David Andrews, Kody Russey, Jake Andrews,
RG (2) – Michael Onwenu, Antonio Mafi
RT (2) – Sidy Sow, Tyrone Wheatley, Riley Reiff (I/R), Connor McDermot (PS),

Starters in bold, five starters and four backups assuming Jake Andrews doesn't contract the Foxboro flu.
Kody Russey easy PS stash why waste the roster spot.

Russet too small and weak.
Russey is a little small to play guard, to play center he's just right considering he's the same size as David Andrews.

"He's too weak" is a terrible take.

Russey bench pressed it 38 times at his pro day, the strongest guy at the combine in his draft class last year benched it 34 times.

Kody Russey easy PS stash why waste the roster spot.
Because on game day, you need at least one other person who can play center.

Russey is a little small to play guard, to play center he's just right considering he's the same size as David Andrews.

"He's too weak" is a terrible take.

Russey bench pressed it 38 times at his pro day, the strongest guy at the combine in his draft class last year benched it 34 times.
Well C Barmore benched him easily in practice I guess Russey's weight room strength doesn't translate.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back