PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wynn and Cannon OR Anderson and Reiff

Reiff by reports looked awful in OTA.
Anderson, completely unproven, in 3 years with broncos started a grand total of 16 games

The starters will be Trent Brown and Reiff

At best its a wash from last year and last year was terrible.

Sam, you never answered my question. How would a LT “ transform the team” ( your words, not mine) when you think the QB sucks?

Cutting Trent Brown only costs 1.25 million and saves 11 million.

Reiff has a better chance of staying than Trent Brown.

Thoughts:

a.) Brown being “out of shape” doesn’t mean anything. Shaq was always out of shape until mid-season and still turned it on in the playoffs. Big guys are…well…big (shrugs). I am more worried about the injury angle.
Ditto. Especially being so out of shape. He needs to be very careful with sprains. Not exactly the same but I’ll get a bad sprain, sit on my ass till it heals and then push myself too hard once I’m healed and then bingo…another sprain or minor tear of some kind. It’s a cycle. I hope he’s in Foxboro now working out.

That's obvious. But I am wondering why sign with such high guarantees. Was his market bigger than what we as fans evaluate . I thought the majority view for reiffs contract was an overpay. Something similar to what we felt with agholor . So was trying to see what was it about reiff that made Pats and the GM organization commit to him as a starter.
$4M is NOT a lot for an experienced stating LT in the last year or so of his career, especially one that is rarely injured.
Thoughts:

a.) Brown being “out of shape” doesn’t mean anything. Shaq was always out of shape until mid-season and still turned it on in the playoffs. Big guys are…well…big (shrugs). I am more worried about the injury angle.

b.) Dunno how anyone is seeing that Reiff sucked in OTAs…. they are in freaking shorts out there…impossible to evaluate.

c.) Owneu can play tackle though….if I were the Pats, I’d extend him long term BEFORE we put him at tackle which in turn would raise his market price, IMO.
yes, if we can extend Onwenu, we should do so.

He certainly does.

But the other players including Parker/Thornton have shown they are coming in realizing the opportunity has begun.

Brown is behaving like he does not. That is concerning, especially given his history, where mulligans for Trent Brown have been more common than interested play.
Trent has millions of dollars at stake, something the rest of us don’t.

It’s easy for the rest of us to be critical, we have nothing to lose.

When it comes to fans and team finances, we’re all very brave with someone else’s money.

Last edited:
Ditto. Especially being so out of shape. He needs to be very careful with sprains. Not exactly the same but I’ll get a bad sprain, sit on my ass till it heals and then push myself too hard once I’m healed and then bingo…another sprain or minor tear of some kind. It’s a cycle. I hope he’s in Foxboro now working out.
The Pats have weight clauses in Trent Brown’s contract, he has as much incentive to stay at playing weight as anyone. People say he’s out of shape, his playing weight is 380. Everyone here guessing weight like Carnac the magnificent all of a sudden… based on a picture.

He’s also in the final year of his deal, so unless he wants to retire, he’ll play at or near his peak. Assuming health, he has one more good contract left in him. And don’t get me wrong, he may know he’s retiring this year, maybe he dogs it. Maybe he grouses his way out of town without an extension… could happen.

What people aren’t realizing is if Trent plays well, it will be the Pats who want to extend him. He’ll turn 30 year’s old this season, Tom called him the best LT he’s ever played with. He’s got a seven foot wingspan, he’s the biggest guy in the league… and football is still won in the trenches.

Last edited:
Sam, you never answered my question. How would a LT “ transform the team” ( your words, not mine) when you think the QB sucks?
Easy. LT protects the blind side and makes everyone on OL better. Macs confidence will skyrocket knowing his blind side is protected. With more guaranteed protection, the route tree opens up. Mac would have time to throw deep crossers and deep posts. The deep threat which is achieved through strong OL protection (not a slow 31 yo WR who hates to practice) will force defenses to expend more resources to cover the deep middle and sides of the field.This opens the under routes for higher percentage throws. This does not even speak to better and more consistent holes between LG and LT and outside the LT for the running game.
In essence, solid LT play opens up the entire field and allows for more players to get involved with short passing game.
Can on 31 yo WR achieve the same? I doubt it,

Before I start getting the critical comments. I know I am not a GM and how could I know more than BB? THe answer is that even though BB knows more than an armchair QB like myself, he makes mistakes with personnel and assistant coach selection He has made repeated errors in judgment and (plenty of them) over the years. I won't rehash them. He is human and is not correct 100% of the time.

By the way DHOP is NOT a burner, in fact his 4.57 40 time suggests he is slow. He excels at 50:50 catches with strong hands and seems to get open frequently. But he is NOT a consistent vertical threat. I would greatly prefer Jeudy...but raiders will not trade him.

Last edited:
I think T Brown was held up because he was eating his Mom's home cooking. Different Moms, different styles. Trent made over $10Milly last year, how about you? :oops:

PS That was $10Milly straight cash, homie.
Thanks, the flight was cancelled.

I love my mom's cookies and with chocolate milk.

I made $2.13 M last year and I am still saying I've leave a day early.

Trent signed for 2 years $13M with a $2.5M guaranteed signing bonus. For 2023 he gets $4M plus $1.5M if I have the numbers correct.

Riley Reiff did not had a successful OTA. So with Brown out of shape and Reiff ****ting the bed the Pats have a OT problem that directly effects the offense especially Mac Jones. Hopefully BB will fix the issue.

The Pats have weight clauses in Trent Brown’s contract, he has as much incentive to stay at playing weight as anyone. People say he’s out of shape, his playing weight is 380. Everyone here guessing weight like Carnac the magnificent all of a sudden… based on a picture.

He’s also in the final year of his deal, so unless he wants to retire, he’ll play at or near his peak. Assuming health, he has one more good contract left in him. And don’t get me wrong, he may know he’s retiring this year, maybe he dogs it. Maybe he grouses his way out of town without an extension… could happen.

What people aren’t realizing is if Trent plays well, it will be the Pats who want to extend him. He’ll turn 30 year’s old this season, Tom called him the best LT he’s ever played with. He’s got a seven foot wingspan, he’s the biggest guy in the league… and football is still won in the trenches.

Trent Brown has always marched to him own drummer. I recall that he once said Dante was the only coach that understood how to handle him (or something like that). He seems like an extremely intelligent man.

The point is nobody knows what could happen next. Money doesn't seem to be his primary motivator. Situations are.

Trent could show up with fire in his belly or even retire. He's a wildcard from one season to the next, despite being the best LT Tom ever played for during one season.

I agree that it's ridiculous to judge him by a picture, but it's fair to look at this group without him based on these factors. Without at minimum an interested Trent Brown, it's also fair to say the group could border on disaster. Especially if Reiff is done like you think he is.

Lol @ how the negative nancies keep stretching like Gumby.

So now it’s “Trent Brown is sulking because I think he should’ve gotten a ticket on an earlier flight”?
I would be surprised if the team don't look negatively at it. To turn up one day late regardless and then so out of shape you can't even train it's hard to see how the team views that positively

Easy. LT protects the blind side and makes everyone on OL better. Macs confidence will skyrocket knowing his blind side is protected. With more guaranteed protection, the route tree opens up. Mac would have time to throw deep crossers and deep posts. The deep threat which is achieved through strong OL protection (not a slow 31 yo WR who hates to practice) will force defenses to expend more resources to cover the deep middle and sides of the field.This opens the under routes for higher percentage throws. This does not even speak to better and more consistent holes between LG and LT and outside the LT for the running game.
In essence, solid LT play opens up the entire field and allows for more players to get involved with short passing game.
Can on 31 yo WR achieve the same? I doubt it,

Before I start getting the critical comments. I know I am not a GM and how could I know more than BB? THe answer is that even though BB knows more than an armchair QB like myself, he makes mistakes with personnel and assistant coach selection He has made repeated errors in judgment and (plenty of them) over the years. I won't rehash them. He is human and is not correct 100% of the time.

By the way DHOP is NOT a burner, in fact his 4.57 40 time suggests he is slow. He excels at 50:50 catches with strong hands and seems to get open frequently. But he is NOT a consistent vertical threat. I would greatly prefer Jeudy...but raiders will not trade him.

So you don’t think Jones sucks, you think the OL is the problem?

So you don’t think Jones sucks, you think the OL is the problem?
I never said he sucks. I said he has no elite skills and I think he is likely going to end up as a middle tier qb. To increase the likelihood of him performing lime a top tier qb, i think best bet is first focus on OL and only spend big capital on veteran WRs after OL is completely fixed.

I never said he sucks. I said he has no elite skills and I think he is likely going to end up as a middle tier qb. To increase the likelihood of him performing lime a top tier qb, i think best bet is first focus on OL and only spend big capital on veteran WRs after OL is completely fixed.

I don’t know how a middle tier QB with no elite skills can “ transform a team” simply because he got a decent LT, but that’s apparently your position. I don’t think there was a tackle worth taking in this year’s first round, especially where they were picking, and I think the policy of chasing need over taking the best players leads to endless mediocrity. The patriots were very fortunate Gonzalez was still available when they picked, and I’m really happy with the pick.

best bet is first focus on OL and only spend big capital on veteran WRs after OL is completely fixed.

There are no good tackles to be had. Jonah Williams isn't available as La’el Collins still coming back from injury. There are no free agents better than what we already have. Even the dubious free agent tackles are long since signed.

Agree. The time to do this was March and April. There were options available in UFA and draft and trades.

Last edited:
Until Trent comes to camp and shows he no longer wants to play, all we have is a lot of speculation
He showed that part of last season. Very inconsistent. Unlike Onwenu, he didn’t rise above the offensive **** show the clowns Patricia and Judge put on last year.

And right on cue he can’t be bothered to come a day or two early to his local pad for mandatory minis. Simple prudence, really.

And then it’s revealed he has let himself go in the offseason.

So I don’t think he’ll be ready to go at LT at the season’s beginning. And that sends a bad message to the other players.

And while I like Reiff, it’s curious that Chicago let him go when their Oline is in such bad shape. I didn’t follow his play last season, but the Bears must have felt it was time to move on.

So there’s uncertainty at RT. McDermott the best option, backed up by Reiff?

Steuber I view as an inside player if he ever comes back and can make the team.

But back to LT it’s obvious to me that Belichick put his faith in Trent Brown being a professional. Turns out to be misplaced.

And now we only have Calvin Anderson to prevent a LT disaster like RT was last season.

Trent Brown is lazy. He has not been working out properly. Why keep him on the team other than dire need?

That’s sad. FU, Bill, on screwing the offense. LT is the second most important position after QB.

This will be Belichick’s last year. I doubt we make the playoffs.

He showed that part of last season. Very inconsistent. Unlike Onwenu, he didn’t rise above the offensive **** show the clowns Patricia and Judge put on last year.

And right on cue he can’t be bothered to come a day or two early to his local pad for mandatory minis. Simple prudence, really.

And then it’s revealed he has let himself go in the offseason.

So I don’t think he’ll be ready to go at LT at the season’s beginning. And that sends a bad message to the other players.

And while I like Reiff, it’s curious that Chicago let him go when their Oline is in such bad shape. I didn’t follow his play last season, but the Bears must have felt it was time to move on.

So there’s uncertainty at RT. McDermott the best option, backed up by Reiff?

Steuber I view as an inside player if he ever comes back and can make the team.

But back to LT it’s obvious to me that Belichick put his faith in Trent Brown being a professional. Turns out to be misplaced.

And now we only have Calvin Anderson to prevent a LT disaster like RT was last season.

Trent Brown is lazy. He has not been working out properly. Why keep him on the team other than dire need?

That’s sad. FU, Bill, on screwing the offense. LT is the second most important position after QB.

This will be Belichick’s last year. I doubt we make the playoffs.

There isn't a team in the league who doesn't have a weakness somewhere. I agree that tackle is not the ideal position.

As another poster mentioned, what could they have done? Pay 60 million to Orlando Brown. Over draft a player they didn't like.

There were really not good options.

Cutting Trent Brown only costs 1.25 million and saves 11 million.

Reiff has a better chance of staying than Trent Brown.
Then let’s do it. After he fails the run on the first day in camp. Fat and lazy.

Four million guaranteed for Reiff. Good grief! And for a 35-year-old castoff from da Bears with big time questions of their own on their OL. But they feel confident in rookie Darnell Wright from Tennessee (the university) upgrading RT, which he almost certainly will.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back