PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wynn and Cannon OR Anderson and Reiff

Reiff will cost us $4.1m if he is cut. He'll make the team even if he is a backup.
That's bad... Considering his age and on field performance why did the pats pay him 4.1 guaranteed? That seems to be a massive gamble.

It’s also unlikely the team will carry Reiff if he looks washed up… like zero possibility at all.

Yes, completely washed up, but isn't that true of pretty much every veteran player? Short of that, however, which they must believe is not true considering the contract, Reiff will be on the 53.

It would be highly unusual for a team to trade for him during camp, when everyone is most interested in protecting young talent. Besides, Reiff even offered in a trade during camp with this contact and the condition of the Pats offensive line would be a signal to the league he's done. During the season, a trade is a higher probability.

That's bad... Considering his age and on field performance why did the pats pay him 4.1 guaranteed? That seems to be a massive gamble.

Desperate times................

The gamble would be bringing in no one. They played the draft and FA with their eyes wide open.

Yes, completely washed up, but isn't that true of pretty much every veteran player? Short of that, however, which they must believe is not true considering the contract, Reiff will be on the 53.

It would be highly unusual for a team to trade for him during camp, when everyone is most interested in protecting young talent. Besides, Reiff even offered in a trade during camp with this contact and the condition of the Pats offensive line would be a signal to the league he's done. During the season, a trade is a higher probability.
Reiff has a reputation around the league, has worked for many offensive coordinators. Suppose Sow takes the job definitively, Anderson proves too valuable with his ability to play the left side as well.

Some team familiar with Reiff suffers an injury at OT in preseason he could easily be traded. If he is washed up and doesn’t make the 53 the Patriots could cut him outright and try to recoup some money. There’s always options with a player on a one year deal.

Not saying it will happen, but it could.

Getting caught out by a hailstorm is not disrespectful. We will see how he shows up to do his job when the pads go on.
I think it's the fact he was getting the last possible flight whereas other players might get into town the day before

Reiff has a reputation around the league, has worked for many offensive coordinators. Suppose Sow takes the job definitively, Anderson proves too valuable with his ability to play the left side as well.

Some team familiar with Reiff suffers an injury at OT in preseason he could easily be traded. If he is washed up and doesn’t make the 53 the Patriots could cut him outright and try to recoup some money. There’s always options with a player on a one year deal.

Not saying it will happen, but it could.

Of course, this could happen.

But start with "Sow takes the job definitely." The odds that a guard picked in the 4th round becomes the starting left tackle out of training camp are extremely remote.

So on this type of long shot, Reiff might not make the team. Again, this scenario is true of pretty much every veteran towards the end of their career coming to a new team on a one year deal.

But the odds are pretty heavy, Reiff is close to a lock, at least to start the season.

Of course, this could happen.

But start with "Sow takes the job definitely." The odds that a guard picked in the 4th round becomes the starting left tackle out of training camp are extremely remote.
Sow takes the right side job definitively, it’s a gamble but not unthinkable. Also pretend for a moment Trent comes to camp prepared to earn an extension and starts at left tackle. Calvin Anderson can play either side, whether Sow is ready or not. Sow played OT as well as OG in college, he has the prerequisite length and athleticism to play tackle.
So on this type of long shot, Reiff might not make the team. Again, this scenario is true of pretty much every veteran towards the end of their career coming to a new team on a one year deal.

But the odds are pretty heavy, Reiff is close to a lock, at least to start the season.
It’s entirely possible Reiff is locked in at RT and could play an entire season… it’s happened before. The collective age of the line in 2001 was close to his age. It’s also possible he starts before Sow takes over midseason.

The point is they have options… this narrative that the tackle position is a disaster is nonsense until camp and preseason shake out.

I think it's the fact he was getting the last possible flight whereas other players might get into town the day before
Lol @ how the negative nancies keep stretching like Gumby.

So now it’s “Trent Brown is sulking because I think he should’ve gotten a ticket on an earlier flight”?

He didn't miss the flight. The flight was canceled due to a hail storm. He might be out of shape or recovering from an injury. Mini-camp is not too critical- we will see at the end of July. I assume Klemm is in contact.
My mother told me that if it is important or if I wanted to send a positive message to leave the day before to eliminate any sudden problems.

Getting caught out by a hailstorm is not disrespectful. We will see how he shows up to do his job when the pads go on.
My mother taught me to eliminate potential problems so in this case I always left early like the day before. Brown didn't care he was out of shape, he knew it and he knew that as soon as the team saw him they would know he didn't care. Later

My mother taught me to eliminate potential problems so in this case I always left early like the day before. Brown didn't care he was out of shape, he knew it and he knew that as soon as the team saw him they would know he didn't care. Later

This is a massive overreaction based on what we know so far, and makes a lot of assumptions based on almost no information.

The point is they have options… this narrative that the tackle position is a disaster is nonsense until camp and preseason shake out.

It's considered a disaster because other than Trent Brown, who is seeming like a disaster, their best tackle feels like a lot of hope.

That doesn't mean things don't work out. Really though, the Super Bowl teams were much better at this position.

The alternative is that their analysis is different than yourss.

The alternative is that their analysis is different than yourss.
That's obvious. But I am wondering why sign with such high guarantees. Was his market bigger than what we as fans evaluate . I thought the majority view for reiffs contract was an overpay. Something similar to what we felt with agholor . So was trying to see what was it about reiff that made Pats and the GM organization commit to him as a starter.

It's considered a disaster because other than Trent Brown, who is seeming like a disaster, their best tackle feels like a lot of hope.

That doesn't mean things don't work out. Really though, the Super Bowl teams were much better at this position.
Until Trent comes to camp and shows he no longer wants to play, all we have is a lot of speculation based on how poor the entire offense looked last season being coached by a defensive coach.

Trent is no different from Mac, Bourne or any other offensive player from last year, they all deserve a mulligan for a terrible situation.

This is a massive overreaction based on what we know so far, and makes a lot of assumptions based on almost no information.
I agree and I wrote it. The more I get information, the more I wonder. Riley Reiff was considered a loser after the OTA. That's not good because he was considered as a Starting OT. The other Starting OT is the guy we are discussing here, Trent Brown. He was rated a WINNER after the OTA. WOW. I still feel he should have figured that there could be a delay with the flight so he should have left the day before and he should be in shape, it is his job, be the best you can, it is how you get paid, make money for yourself and family. But he knows he won't be with the Patriots after this season so he doesn't care. I don't know if that is the end of his career but if he feels it is not, then it is stupid to be out of shape. My grandmother also said you can teach IGNORANCE out of a person but not STUPID.
Have a nice day. Thanks for calling me out.

Thoughts:

a.) Brown being “out of shape” doesn’t mean anything. Shaq was always out of shape until mid-season and still turned it on in the playoffs. Big guys are…well…big (shrugs). I am more worried about the injury angle.

b.) Dunno how anyone is seeing that Reiff sucked in OTAs…. they are in freaking shorts out there…impossible to evaluate.

c.) Owneu can play tackle though….if I were the Pats, I’d extend him long term BEFORE we put him at tackle which in turn would raise his market price, IMO.

I do agree it's irresponsible to book a flight that jeopardizes your only serious week of work of the last 7 months. Irresponsible and... that's it. No need to jump to a million conclusions. Let's wait at least until the pads come on so we're more informed about how he looks.

Trent is no different from Mac, Bourne or any other offensive player from last year, they all deserve a mulligan for a terrible situation.

He certainly does.

But the other players including Parker/Thornton have shown they are coming in realizing the opportunity has begun.

Brown is behaving like he does not. That is concerning, especially given his history, where mulligans for Trent Brown have been more common than interested play.

My mother told me that if it is important or if I wanted to send a positive message to leave the day before to eliminate any sudden problems.

I think T Brown was held up because he was eating his Mom's home cooking. Different Moms, different styles. Trent made over $10Milly last year, how about you? :oops:

PS That was $10Milly straight cash, homie.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back