PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

Good for Houston. OB wasn't it and these teams that stick with these obvious bad fits are paying the price and wasting QBs that are good enough to win with and even can carry a team.

How about Easterby?!? Goes from player counselor to running a team.

Detroit needs to follow suit and fast. Detroit was like 9-7, 7-9, 11-5 before MP. He's won like 4 games. Had two good defensive performances and looks lost if we're being honest. Lost.
View attachment 28840

Gase should already be gone. MB shouldn't have been on the field. You don't put your future at risk. This after years of F'n around on offense.

I'm not sure I can imagine what kind of lies you tell yourself and delusion one is in to keep these guys on board.

Houston has to be kicking themselves. They gave Mia a top 5-10 pick and won't be picking until the 3rd I believe. Big holes on offense & defense. No leadership.

If I'm a team that is ready to win now. Legit QB away I'm calling GB, Atl, Det to see where they're at with their QB's. GB has shown the don't mind playing hard ball and have a line in the sand. The just pissed AR off with Love. You know they're thinking about life after AR.

I hope we keep our picks this year. We'll have multiple 3rd's & 4th's between ours and comp picks. Plenty of ammo for team looking to rebuild/reload.

The league has a NY problem - probably more appropriate would be a bad ownership problem. If I'm the NFL I do NOT want Lawrence with the NYJ and to a lesser extent the other awful teams in the running. These teams that can't get out of their own way. Run through coaches, assistant coaches ... are just hoping to hit the lottery with no real plan. The NYJ would be a little better with Lawrence but that's a big rebuild. Like a 4-5 year rebuild which is crazy considering how the league is set up. You need a culture change, coaches, players on both sides, competent front office ... I don't see a quick turnaround there and you don't want you keep throwing the best young talent in a volcano and say, "swim".
Sure the league is set up so bad teams can get good with high cheap(er) prospects but some teams have been at this for decades, literally decades with absolutely nothing to show for it. This is why I laugh when people think some "amateurs" couldn't help evaluate talent or help with film study/coaching. You have people that are handed everything, sometimes undeserving and you get 20-30 years of mediocre or poor.

Anyway if I'm the league I'm praying something tricky happens and the jets get a win/maybe two but that would take a borderline miracle, no? They'll be at least a 7 point dog in almost the rest of their games?
Chargers, Bills X2, Pats X2, KC, Sea, Cleveland, Rams, Miami X2
It's possible, I guess if Covid kills us, Miami? Idk but if I'm thinking the league wants him elsewhere. Would have been nice if SF imploded earlier.

Mentioned this a few pages back but now Atlanta should be in borderline full sell mode and take anything they can get for Jones & Ryan. Give Jones away for a 2nd/3rd if you have to. Ryan would get a 1st. Sell high on anyone else and tank for Lawrence. I wonder if they would listen to offers for Ridley or Jarrett? They're two guys that could help most teams. If I'm GB I'm asking about Jones, Ridley ...

TD went from the grounds crew at Cleveland at one point to a play away from beating his old team and winning a SB. He's a lifer imo. He loves this stuff. Hope he lands on his feet. They got out of control, things got away from them quick after the SB loss and even a little before then but that's the NFL at times.

Mentioned this a few pages back but now Atlanta should be in borderline full sell mode and take anything they can get for Jones & Ryan. Give Jones away for a 2nd/3rd if you have to. Ryan would get a 1st. Sell high on anyone else and tank for Lawrence. I wonder if they would listen to offers for Ridley or Jarrett? They're two guys that could help most teams. If I'm GB I'm asking about Jones, Ridley ...

TD went from the grounds crew at Cleveland at one point to a play away from beating his old team and winning a SB. He's a lifer imo. He loves this stuff. Hope he lands on his feet. They got out of control, things got away from them quick after the SB loss and even a little before then but that's the NFL at times.
Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing Dimitroff return here if Easterbunny puts the hard sell on Nicky Caesar again.

What do you do when your problem is your owner? Clearly that is a strong possibility for Washington, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Houston, and the Green Slime. I get frustrated with RKK for sure but for all the opportunities he had for 20 years I give him credit for not screwing the pooch.

The league has a NY problem - probably more appropriate would be a bad ownership problem. If I'm the NFL I do NOT want Lawrence with the NYJ and to a lesser extent the other awful teams in the running

You are looking at things too much from a sports point of view. In reality the league would be delighted if Lawrence would end up in NY. It is a big media market and putting a hyped young QB there just means revenue which especially in the still COVID affected 2021 will be a high priority for the league.

They don't give a **** if a player gets ruined by an unstable situation. He will sell merch and a big media market will tune in to watch his rookie season.

You are looking at things too much from a sports point of view. In reality the league would be delighted if Lawrence would end up in NY. It is a big media market and putting a hyped young QB there just means revenue which especially in the still COVID affected 2021 will be a high priority for the league.

They don't give a **** if a player gets ruined by an unstable situation. He will sell merch and a big media market will tune in to watch his rookie season.
Perhaps, I might be looking at from a sports pov. I could be wrong.

I think your post is a bit shortsighted though. You honestly think they only care about selling merch or Lawrence's rookie year? That just doesn't make sense luuked.
Especially when the league is losing Brady, Brees, Ben, Rivers. To a much lesser extent Foles, Fitz and a few more guys like that are on their way out. Rodgers is 37 in a month or two and Ryan is 36 next year. The could play until 40 but the point remains. The NFL needs new QB's to carry them / new QB talent.

I could see them wanting him in NY, I get that but NY just isn't what it used to be. NBA, NFL, the Yanks still have pull but outside of them who's has any?
Lawrence is the draw here. People want to watch him, w/e he goes the attention goes.

I just don't think they want him in a situation that poorest. Lawrence is one of the best QB prospects of all-time but this isn't the NBA even though a QB that important.

Also look at we just saw from NY. Darnold, Adams, Bell, Leonard & Q Williams, new coaching ... We've seen the big names in NY before. I highly doubt the league is happy about how that turned out? Idk what do you think, you really think they made that much bank off merch? I doubt it. No one was begging to see them.

Again I'm sure the league wants NY to succeed but both teams need a overhaul and have the jets have almost broken Darnold. I just think there might be a few other teams of preference if they had their way.

Who knows maybe the jets bring in a real coach, get the front office straightened out and do the right thing. Becton will certainly help. That's priority #2 if not 1. Really fix that OL, it's been a decade since the had a good one.

What do you do when your problem is your owner? Clearly that is a strong possibility for Washington, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Houston, and the Green Slime. I get frustrated with RKK for sure but for all the opportunities he had for 20 years I give him credit for not screwing the pooch.
Not enough appreciate him for that. It sounds easy but how many awful owners and front offices would have F'd something up? Also he's given Bill almost everything he's asked for. He's not someone who makes it about him. Pats have a clear hierarchy, solid structure and it starts with RKK.
Its easy to make fun of him, he deserves some but he's been a great owner.

And yes the league definitely should be concerned about some ownership when they're entering a new era. I doubt there's a lot they can do but I'm sure Lion, Jet, Washington fans and a few others aren't thrilled with being a joke for 30 years. That's directly on the ownership.

I should do for research about out history but we were a joke before RKK. No one wanted to even talk about us, we were the opposite of cool. Again people didn't even think about us. Forget about trolling us. We weren't even an afterthought. We need to bring back those red/whites unis for a few home games every year.
Screenshot_2020-10-13-18-51-09.png

Screenshot_2020-10-13-18-50-47.png

Don’t know how accurate this is, but it sure is interesting to hear..

Never really understood why BB did not bring in a veteran tight end for this season. Lets face it Izzo is a below average player. Even if you had high confidence in Keene and AsiAsi they both would have benefitted from a veteran presence. It is hard to fathom.

Keep forgetting this but love his stuff. I'll be following the OL all year in here so anything related feel free to post. Stealing this from @slam
Word of Muth's

Don’t know how accurate this is, but it sure is interesting to hear..

I think this article is a lot of speculation but I've been saying what Bedard talks about here.

It's a culture shock for 99.9% of prospects, even the elite ones have their "welcome to the NFL" moments.
1)The speed of the game is nuts. Everyone is fast, strong.

2)You go from being the big dog, big fish to hanging out with millionaires, billionaire owners, big shots everywhere. Crazy people inviting you everywhere.

3)Then you have the realization that this is a job. Your teammates are spending thousands, maybe a million taking care of themselves. Working out like its their job. Watching film like its their job.

You suddenly have a lot but have to be smart. Have little time if you're really a pro. I imagine it's quite the shock for some but these two seemed like football players? Like guys who love the sport? Super early but I agree with Greg about the shock. It's very real.

Never really understood why BB did not bring in a veteran tight end for this season. Lets face it Izzo is a below average player. Even if you had high confidence in Keene and AsiAsi they both would have benefitted from a veteran presence. It is hard to fathom.

As much as I agree at the time of "better" free agents were available the Pats were tight against the cap.. then after the opt outs and the Hernandez/Brown arbitration there was money available..

Not being overly optimistic but we have not yet seen Keene on the field and Asiasi has only played 57 snaps.. not all that confident in Izzo, no idea if things will get better..

From Word of Muth's
"Wynn played well all night in both the run and pass game. Where he really impressed me, though, were his play-action pass sets.

Wynn (76) is on an island here at left tackle, and his set is so good I could cry. He comes out aggressively but under control. Look at his feet -- short, powerful steps where he never loses the base from his stance. By firing out he's selling the run to the linebackers and the guy he's blocking. Then his hands are perfect too: inside hands, right on the defender's breastplate with no helmet involved. He locks the defender (Tanoh Kpassagnon, 92) out and dominates him. Brian Hoyer could've held onto that ball for another 10 seconds and Wynn's man wouldn't have beat him. Since it wasn't the end of the half, Hoyer didn't hold the ball. That's picture-perfect pass blocking from Wynn.

Joe Thuney (62) at left guard does some good things here as well. What I really like is how he settles and drops his hips once he pulls. He puts himself in position to do a little mirror dodge drill from the combine. It's not easy to settle into a pass-blocking stance after pulling across the formation, but Thuney does a fine job of it here.

The pass-blocking was generally good for New England. Right tackle Justin Herron probably had the worst night in pass pro but he wasn't awful or anything. He was just OK and gave up some pressures a little sooner than you would want.
Herron (75) is getting beat here, but not like a drum. And it doesn't help that his quarterback (Jarrett Stidham) drops to just about 10 yards and then doesn't step up in the pocket. Still, Herron is OK, he just has to get a little more push when he turns to run his man by the quarterback at the top of the rush.

Wynn is really good here again. I can't tell whether he snatched the defensive end down or if the end trips, but either way I love how the left tackle closes down on the inside move with square shoulders and a wide base. That allows him to redirect outside and pick up the looper. He basically picks up the end-tackle stunt by himself.

Another reason I included these last two GIFs is to help illustrate how an offensive line that played well could only score 10 points. Both of these plays are protected well enough, and both have receivers you can see open even from the end zone view, but both resulted in turnovers. You can block a team all night, but you still need some help from the guy with his hands under the center's ass if you're going to score any points".

I wrote about this above somewhere but the killer for both Hoyer & Stidham is their pocket awareness/presence. Someone has to have some command, feel for the position. Each game is so different but we probably win that game with a competent QB. We need someone who has a clock in their head. Can feel when to slide, step up. Hopefully Cam is right the rest of the way bc the season is still super young. Next three games are huge.

Very efficient footwork here. Lower half (ankle) flexibility. Beautiful rep. Tough to see bc the beginning comes in so quick not sure if T was expecting a swipe or chop but Watt goes into a pretty dip/rips through and again tight path to the QB. Big time flexibility.

Loved Marpet coming out. He's been so good.

One way to beat a double team is to work/focus on beating one man. You'll see guys drop to a knee on occasion to split it knifing through with leverage & technique. But some guys just have a knack for it. Allen & Payne are great at working on one man. Ideal two gappers. Heavy active hands. + Leverage. + Motor. Can reset, control the line. + Anchor. Can push the pocket and get after the QB a little bit.

There DL is fierce and the defense is actually alright. The offense is just so bad its hurting everything. Allen, Payne, Settle, Young, Sweat, Anderson, Ioannidis is hurt but he's a handful. Just a crazy collection of talent that will probably get wasted waiting for a QB. Again this kinda speaks to the poor ownership I was ranting about the other day. Just wasting picks and seemingly no direction at all.

What Washington did to Haskins is dirty imo. You shouldn't be surprised by what your seeing imo. You're familiar with the team, players. You know its a crazy year. Giving up on him or benching him or we is no good for his confidence or trade value. Just not a good look or handle on the situation imo.

Double dip at WR this year please

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back