PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

From last night
Wynn - So quick, he shoots out his stance, often the first off the ball. Quick feet, quick/accurate strikes despite giving up length. Has some pop in his strikes. Grip strength has been great. Just so quick out of his stance but so balanced for the redirect/counter. I'd have to give him an B+/A- so far.

Nice to see the smart people agree and he's getting the recognition he deserves.

I've been watching Wynn for years. Such a unique player. He's like 6'1 and a half / 280 with 32" arms going against freaks of nature. Just cool to watch. And again glad to see him play at the level I thought he could. Very hopeful he could be a legit top 10 tackle by early next year.

Mentioned this last night when watching the game. Onwenu showed some decent hands/hand placement last night. Again best game of his young career so far. Really good stuff. Just can't get over how well he's playing in space but his paws were on point.

Few individual plays that were also above.

Fwiw, Fold/Trap are often grouped together depending on the front/coach. Folds can become traps in certain instances. Again some coaches/systems group them together. I just recognized this double trap or fold from seeing it so many times before here and around the league.
It's actually pretty crazy you have long, short split, kick, lead and about 10 different more types of folds/traps.

Nice observation here ... I thought this was his best game by far. His hand work/fighting, balance and ability to work in space (like below) was fantastic. I thought he was getting too much love from PFF but still playing at a high level. He stood out against KC. Big time enforcer and obviously coachable. He's been all over the line. That doesn't happen without serious trust, communication and smarts on his and the coaches end.

Even Thanksdad did his job on both of those snaps...But then again, his game is better-suited for blocking plays with some horizontal movement than those with strictly vertical movement anyway...

There are OL highlights/film from every game so far in the thread if you're into that sort of thing. Going back to week 1, I've been looking at pass pro & run blocking. Here's more.

So much to enjoy on this thread, as usual from BGC but also from a lot of you other folks. Many thanks!

One thought from me at the quarter pole of the weirdest of seasons. Heading in, even after Cam came onboard, I was resigned to this being a transitional year, with old friends heading out and the Pats seeming to be in an advantageous position relative to the cap next year. With that in mind I was most interested in one of the more significant IMHO transitions that has already taken place, which is what the post-Scar era will be like for the OL. While Froholdt and Cajuste have frustrated, the emergence of Omenwu and Herron is a good sign. Still very early obviously but if they come out of this year knowing they have a solid OL that is relatively young and coaching that demonstrates they can get new players up to speed quickly, that would bode very well.

On the flip side I’ve been concerned for the past couple of years about the DL and now the entire front 7. While the utter lack of receiving talent is the obvious fatal flaw for the team, the weakness of the DL is to me a close second. I see that as a coaching failure as much as a drafting failure. I see more reason right now for optimism about the LB group than the DL or WR/TE group. BB is going to have some serious GERD next offseason thinking about how poorly the DL and WR/TE coaching have done developing guys.

So much to enjoy on this thread, as usual from BGC but also from a lot of you other folks. Many thanks!

One thought from me at the quarter pole of the weirdest of seasons. Heading in, even after Cam came onboard, I was resigned to this being a transitional year, with old friends heading out and the Pats seeming to be in an advantageous position relative to the cap next year. With that in mind I was most interested in one of the more significant IMHO transitions that has already taken place, which is what the post-Scar era will be like for the OL. While Froholdt and Cajuste have frustrated, the emergence of Omenwu and Herron is a good sign. Still very early obviously but if they come out of this year knowing they have a solid OL that is relatively young and coaching that demonstrates they can get new players up to speed quickly, that would bode very well.

On the flip side I’ve been concerned for the past couple of years about the DL and now the entire front 7. While the utter lack of receiving talent is the obvious fatal flaw for the team, the weakness of the DL is to me a close second. I see that as a coaching failure as much as a drafting failure. I see more reason right now for optimism about the LB group than the DL or WR/TE group. BB is going to have some serious GERD next offseason thinking about how poorly the DL and WR/TE coaching have done developing guys.
Absolutely. Front seven & WR will be two of the biggest needs we have this off-season, by far. I remember a few years ago looking at our depth chart and we had no one signed besides Jules. Situation isn't much better and we're obviously in need of playmakers there.

And appreciate it AQPE

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back